Anyone retain oem mics with an aftermarket head unit? 2013 CX-9 GT

kchandra

We purchased a 2013 CX-9 GT. Not only is the tomtom navigation extremely annoying, the display of the screen has been damaged due to fingerprints and some chemical - probably armor-all sitting on it. So, its hard to see the backup camera and such - night mode is also worthless.

So, thinking I will just replace it with a digital media receiver with carplay. Seems like from searches here, I can retain the factory backup camera, swc and possibly the display up top (unsure of correct name), but the dual mics are gone and have to wire up an aftermarket one.

I would like to retain the oem mics and location as they are decent imho. So, has anyone retained the factory mics or know the pin outs on the harness?

Thanks for your time!

Pretty much all quality head units that you would actually want (Alpine, Kenwood, Pioneer, Sony, or JVC) will come with its own microphone. Just run the wire up the A pillar and clip it on there.

yes, that may be the only option - I just wanted to integrate factory dual mics for a cleaner from the factory look is all...

I’ve installed a few head units and always run the new mic to where the old one was. Remove the old one and stick them new one there

Install the new mic and put it in the stock location. Doing anything else will make you pull your hair out.

I'm likely to install a new HU in a 1st gen soon as well. Does anyone have a write-up (ideally with photos) of putting a new mic in the factory mic location? I assume the wire would have to be routed around half the windshield and I don't know how much space is up in the top center area.

Does anyone have a write-up (ideally with photos) of putting a new mic in the factory mic location?
Searching got me this.....

I did it just yesterday and it worked well. Just followed the instructions on that post above. I used wires with individual header connectors, then secured them with some tape to avoid them separating. The other end of the wire I soldered to the microphone black and red wires. The first picture is the connector behind the radio. The second is in the overhead compartment.

IMG_3719.jpg
IMG_3722.jpg

Back