Anyone having issues with a clicky/tactile sounding gas pedal? CX-50

Digbicks1234

16.5 CX-5 Touring/2023 CX-9 Touring
Not sure if anyone has this issue but my gas pedal makes this very annoying noise when I step on it and let go at low speeds <30 mph.

Observations:
  • It can occur when stepping on the top, middle or base/sides of the gas pedal and seems to only occur during certain temperature ranges (mostly cold) and disappears after the car is warmed up. I suspect it's possibly due to the plastic contracting/expanding from the temperature changes.
  • There is nothing that is underneath the gas pedal from what I am aware that can cause this noise as I used my left foot/hand to touch it gently and the noise still occurs.
  • The best way to describe it would be like having a piece of tape under your shoe and walking on a hard floor.
Even though I brought the car to the dealership a few days ago, they were not able to recreate the issue. I scheduled another appointment today and I am having to leave my car overnight to see if they can find anything. Not putting too much faith that they can reproduce it but we'll see. Also, I was given a 2022 Mazda CX-5 Premium Plus as a loaner and it definitely feels better than the CX-50 in a few ways:
  • Better seats as the CX-5 is much more soft and plush.
  • The suspension of the CX-5 is much more soft and forgiving over crappy roads. Driving on the CX-50 feels like driving on rocks as it's super stiff. You can literally feel every bump on the road through your body.
  • Much better visibility with the windshield
  • Better headroom even with the moonroof; less cramped feeling overall if you're tall
  • Hood is much lower and easier to see as it's not trucklike
  • LED Lights seem to be brighter overall
  • No SUPER ANNOYING seatbelt chime

What I don't like about the 2022 CX-5:
  • The A/C controls are too low on the bottom and it makes it hard to access.
  • Rear seats are smaller than the CX-50
  • Instrument cluster feels and looks a bit dated
  • Rear camera's resolution isn't that great
  • 2.5l feels rattly but you'll only notice this if you've driven the turbo :p

If you can get the pedal noise to occur consistently by using your hand, I would just demonstrate it for the technician while the car is off or idling.

Have you already checked your tire pressures to make sure they aren't overinflated? When I took delivery of my CX-9, the tires were inflated to about 50 psi when they should have been closer to 34. My suspension felt super stiff until I fixed that issue.

If you can get the pedal noise to occur consistently by using your hand, I would just demonstrate it for the technician while the car is off or idling.

Have you already checked your tire pressures to make sure they aren't overinflated? When I took delivery of my CX-9, the tires were inflated to about 50 psi when they should have been closer to 34. My suspension felt super stiff until I fixed that issue.
The hard part is that the noise comes and goes. When I drive the car when its cold, the noise occurs but then after driving it for about 30 minutes or so to a dealership, the noise goes away. The mechanic couldn't find anything wrong with my car and they sprayed WD-40 on the gas pedal. So far the noise isn't there anymore but we'll see. It may be something that I just need to live with as annoying as it is.

Yeah, my tires are inflated to the factory spec at using the sticker from the door. I know what you mean about the overinflating though, I think mines were at 43-48 when I took delivery of the car.

Back