Anyone have the dealer perform the 30 or 60k service? Wondering if it is worth it.

sbmrinaldi

:
07 CX9 Grand Touring FWD
We have close to 48k on our 07 and it really has never been to the dealer and I perform all the oil changes with synthetic every 5,000 miles. The cost for the upcoming 60k is $560 and many of the items are inspected. On the other hand they do flush the cooling, brakes fluid, power steering, transmission and some other items.

We plan on keeping the car until she gets more costly than it is worth. So on one hand I think maybe the service is worth it. It could use the above fluid changes. I know this is somewhat a preference but what has everyone done at these intervals?

I don't believe in 15K/30K/45K/60K/... that sorts of services.
Those are created by dealers for their business.

Read the OM. There is nothing you need to do specifically around 60K.
If you have an AWD, maybe the differential fluid.
I also do transmission fluid on 30K schedule. So, 2nd time at 60K.
Other than those, nothing. I don't expect to spend more than $250 on my "60K" service.

Here is the conversation I had with my favorite Mazda dealer's service advisor when I was there for my "35K" service.
(I did oil change on 5K scedule)
He: Mr. K, you seem to have forgotten 30K service for your CX9?
I: What are in the 30K service?
He: cabin filter, tire rotation, oil change, inspections.
I: For how much?
He: About $400.
I: Let me see... I bought a carbin filter from you last week. I did my tire rotation at Walmart for $10.
I am here for the oil change for $29.95. I have the coupon of free inspections. So, I am covered, right?
He: Looks like you are OK.
I: That is what I thought.

Actually, I also had transmission fluid and differential fluid flushed/replaced for $200.

Flushing brake fluid and coolant seem over-maintaining to me if there is no reason for doing them.
If I were you, I would spend the same money the transmission/differential (if AWD).

Don't buy into the so-called "60K" service. That is big waste of money. Prescribe what you
want services you want for your CX9, collect coupons, have them do those. Keep the records.
Not much effort to save your hard-earned money, while your CX9 is still well taken of.

P.S. warranty does not depend on those "fancy" services.
It depends on the basic items prescribed in the manual.

Last edited:
I will check on the cost of the transmission flush. That may be worth it. Most of the other items they list cover simple inspections which not much unless they can see a growing issue.

What do you use for lubing the door hinges? The doors squeak now and I tried some lithium grease but it really didn't work to well.

You were right there were many items on the list that are simple or I do myself; tire rotation, cabin filter, oil change, etc. It is an odd balance for me to figure out right now. This is the second car every (over 30 some cars) I plan on keeping well over 100,000 miles and want to make sure I take care of it. My other car was a Honda Accord I used for work daily. Changed the oil and that is all it needed to run like a champ.

flushing transmissions is not a good idea. you want to drain and refill only.

Flushing transmission is a bad idea only if you haven't done it for many many miles.
Usually what happens is that the transmission fails soon after the flushing. Metal debris turned loose inside.
In fact, the transmission is doomed to fail in that case anyway, the flushing just make it die sooner.

I am doing the flushing on 30K schedule at dealership.
Drain and replace only gets to a portion of the fluid (likely about 1/2).
You're diluting the fluid. Better than not doing it at all, I guess.

drain and refill, then do it again in say 100 miles. still better than flushing even if new i say.

change the tranny an diff fluids at 30K? W have close to 50K and we have not done such services, nor has the dealer ever recommended them. I was always told a flush is better than a drain and fill. I will have to look into this, as now I'm concerned about the tranny and the diff.

The OM mentions that if your CX9 qualifies as "heavy use", it recommends replacing the diff fluid at 28K miles.

As to transmission fluid, just to whatever you want.
OM does not mention it at all.
Just know this.
It costs about $2500 for an used transmission at least.

Last edited:
Back