Any one look at this turbo kit

It looks like those are the ATP kits that were designed for the MS3/MS6. I don't see why it wouldn't work for the CX7. Go get the GT35R and let me know how it feels to drive the CX7 with a turbo that doesn't spool till like 4000rpms :)

If you wanted a turbo upgrade I would do the stock turbo port/polish upgrade that Protege Garage is doing. I don't think you want a turbo that spools any later on the CX7. The GT2871 probably would still have great daily driveability, but why pay 1695, when you could just pay 600 or whatever Protege Garage's costs and still have great gains.

Who is this Protege Garage you speak of are they a vendor here or how do i get in touch with them.

Gt2871r i think is the one i wanna go with but thats why i posted here i wanna get the pros and cons. Thanks for your help guy's.

I wouldn't say for certain, but I would imagine with the GT2871 you would probably need a tune, etc. If you just went with the upgraded stock turbo you could probably get some good power gains and not have to get a ECU
flash/standback system.

See this thread.
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123701826

They mostly talk about reworking the MS3/MS6 K04, which is different from the CX7 turbo. But I'm sure they could do a CX7 rework for a similar price.

Also, I was thinking that if they could rework the MS3/MS6 turbo to spool sooner with no loss in power that would be pretty awesome for the CX7... more power and no more turbo lag.

The only thing I would worry about in a turbo upgrade is getting something that is going to increase your spool time. If you had to wait until 3k rpm+ for full boost I don't think it would be very "streetable" for a 4000lb suv.

the gt2871r would be perfectly suited to this engine. depending on stock injector sizes i would be willing to bet the ecu would be the only thing that needed to be messed with, as well as a better IC. the 2871 would sppol fast and make 350 easy on an agressive tune....you could also run it at a low boost setting and not have to change a thing. the gt35r with a 63 a.r. housing would be a perfect HIGH HP turbo for this motor and would spool up well before 4k due to the 94mm strokem. but this would be a HIGH output setup capable of 550-600whp at high boost but my bets would say you need to upgrade the internals first.

CX-7 + 28 or 30 turbo = teh secks!!! There is just something appealing about the constant pull of a torquey turbo automatic!
Upgrade your fuel pump if you do change the turbo, and the ECU should adjust itself for the most part. I'd love to have that GT28 71trim on a CX, even with stock boost levels, then you might get some use out of 5000RPM+ range.

Those ATP kits arent even a direct bolt on for MS3/MS6 cars. If your going this route, have tons of extra money for the things you will need to make this work. I wouldnt dare upgrade the turbo without having a custom tune for my application either. GT2871R would work great with this engine, personally id never go bigger then 3071.

A lot of guys are having problems with the ATP internal wastegate, the solution is to weld them shut and purchase an external waste gate. or better, get an aftermarket manifold flanged for GT series with external wastegate.

Honestly, if anyone is looking for a bigger turbo for the CX-7, the first place they should be looking is the K04 that comes with the MS3/MS6. Direct bolt on, you know the engine can handle the power and you should be able to get one cheap. If you are really interested in more power than that, PG has a reworked model that would probably be great for our cars. Either way, you'd still need the ability to tune, but that's where I would look first.

Not sure if our tranny would even be able to handle the power from the GT turbos...

Just my .02 cents...

superstretch

Is their a stronger transmission that can go in the cx-7 as id want to add that gt3071r turbo(450hp) turbo in my cx-7(if I decide to buy one) or even the gt2871r (400 hp) turbo...

Is their a stronger transmission that can go in the cx-7 as id want to add that gt3071r turbo(450hp) turbo in my cx-7(if I decide to buy one) or even the gt2871r (400 hp) turbo...

Our transmission is shared with some higher hp/torque vehicles, so if you want to keep the auto, I would contact a transmission place locally that has knowledge of the Aisin transmissions. That or look to swap in a manual from a speed 3 or 6! LOL!

Honestly, the best advice I can give in this case is: research, research, research. Get in touch with someone that has real world experience with the Mazda DISI, like ProtegeGarage, CPE, etc. so that you can see the issues that the speed 3 folks are having with their big turbo builds. Look to get professional advice regarding their thoughts, what expectations you should have regarding cost, downtime, end result, etc. Don't trust a shlub like me on some internet forum! :D

hi

Ya I was thinking if I decide to buy a mazda cx-7 I might ask mazda to put a 6 speed manual in it cause be more fun to drive didnt realize that a manual tranny can hold more power than a auto tranny thanx

Ya I was thinking if I decide to buy a mazda cx-7 I might ask mazda to put a 6 speed manual in it cause be more fun to drive didnt realize that a manual tranny can hold more power than a auto tranny thanx

You were going to ask Mazda?? I didn't know the Dealer did custom swaps?? The CX7 was never offered in a manual, so swapping over Tranny from another vehicle would be a big deal.
I personally can't grasp how a turbo auto would drive. I shift in the upper RPM range in my car, a auto would never allow that. How can you actually use the power if the tranny won't let you get to it....
Has a 6 speed swap ever been done, besides the Mazdaspeed SEMA one?

You were going to ask Mazda?? I didn't know the Dealer did custom swaps?? The CX7 was never offered in a manual, so swapping over Tranny from another vehicle would be a big deal.
I personally can't grasp how a turbo auto would drive. I shift in the upper RPM range in my car, a auto would never allow that. How can you actually use the power if the tranny won't let you get to it....
Has a 6 speed swap ever been done, besides the Mazdaspeed SEMA one?

yeah. the dealers not gonna swap it. i haven't heard of anyone doing it.

the turbo on the cx-7 spools really low in the RPM range, so you're hitting boost at about 3k or so. plus with the auto-stick, if you really want to grind it out, you could.

yeah. the dealers not gonna swap it. i haven't heard of anyone doing it.

the turbo on the cx-7 spools really low in the RPM range, so you're hitting boost at about 3k or so. plus with the auto-stick, if you really want to grind it out, you could.

How does the AWD CX7 take to mods? or is the Fwd a better format to mod on?

Back