aluminum lug nuts

controlo

:
'07 Mazdaspeed3 Sport, Sunlight Silver
who's using aluminum lug nuts? i've got my eye on some t1r forged AL lugs for my new fake cast wheels :). i've heard arguments about how they strip easily due to the softer metal, but i can't understand why there are so many aftermarket lug nuts made from forged AL if they're not made to be used on steel studs.

discuss.

I don't get it either... unless they're being way overtorqued

word. i actually did some research. this is straight from wikipedia:

7075 is an aluminium alloy, with zinc as the primary alloying element. It is strong, with a strength comparable to many steels, and has good fatigue strength and average machinability, but has less resistance to corrosion than many other Al alloys. Its relatively high cost limits its use to applications where cheaper alloys are not suitable.

Last edited:
I didn't even know such exists. I wonder if you'd have to use different torque settings.

I don't care what aluminum alloy they're made with...I still wouldn't use them to hold my wheels on, at least not with studs that were designed for use with steel nuts...

Just get a nice set of steel Gorilla lug nuts. They're cheap, look great, and have a narrow profile for use with "tuner" wheels.

I'm using buddyclub forged aluminum extended lug nuts. No problems here. And a set of five weigh less then two steel lug nuts

I rocked the Rays Engineering Duraluminum Extended Lugs on my Advans, and they worked great. They need to be cared to though, dont let the boys from Discount tire hit em with the impact. I always removed them and tightened down personally, and hit the inside of each lug with a little bit of WD-40 before tightening on the stud. If not, the rust would make them very difficult to remove over time without stripping them.....at least, thats what it felt like when trying to remove them without some type of lubricant.

Photoshoot%203.jpg

Last edited:
I rocked the Rays Engineering Duraluminum Extended Lugs on my Advans, and they worked great. They need to be cared to though, dont let the boys from Discount tire hit em with the impact. I always removed them and tightened down personally, and hit the inside of each lug with a little bit of WD-40 before tightening on the stud. If not, the rust would make them very difficult to remove over time without stripping them.....at least, thats what it felt like when trying to remove them without some type of lubricant.

Photoshoot%203.jpg

word. some type of anti-seize should be used for sure.

Problem with Aluminum on steel threads is there is a very good chance of cross threading. The threads are just not able to hold their integrity. Even with 7075

To play devil's advocate, I'd say the bigger question is why use aluminum to begin with? A weight savings of a couple ounces per wheel (generously) that close to the rotation axis is pretty much the definition of negligible unless you're talking about a dedicated race application.

It just seems like a lot of money, effort, and maintenance for no real benefit. Or maybe it's just me...

^because for the most part, the good looking/cheap lug nuts are forged aluminum. the cheap/ugly ones are steel and the good looking/expensive ones are forged steel.

I've had two sets of Gorilla lugs like that, and the finish seems to start chipping off within a few uses. I've given up on having nice looking lugnuts... just not worth the time/cost to me for such a tiny detail.

But yeah, I was always under the impression that it was the super-expensive blingy lugnuts that were forged aluminum.

The open lug nuts are for the longer studs. Depending on the wheel.
I use the black gorillas with my new wheels. Then bought some inexpensive blue nuts to try out the color. They flaked off bad so now the gorillas are back on.
I am shopping too. t1r are beautiful i agree. I wish we had a sticky like Honda tech forum does for the bazillion way cool wheels and nuts out there on their cars. Nigelo sent me the link and i am still drooling. So many to choose from and man you can spend some cashola too!

The open lug nuts are for the longer studs. Depending on the wheel.
I use the black gorillas with my new wheels. Then bought some inexpensive blue nuts to try out the color. They flaked off bad so now the gorillas are back on.
I am shopping too. t1r are beautiful i agree. I wish we had a sticky like Honda tech forum does for the bazillion way cool wheels and nuts out there on their cars. Nigelo sent me the link and i am still drooling. So many to choose from and man you can spend some cashola too!

haha ya. i ordered the black blox lug nuts. i like the way the extended lugs look on my wheels. i don't like the way they look on like 6" wide wheels. they stick out.

Back