Aluminum lug nut warning

So, I ordered in four new wheels and tires from TireRack. The wheels came with aluminum lug nuts. I've never used aluminum lug nuts before but thought, hey, if TireRack sent them, they must be good to go right? Pfft.

Now, I've seen steel bolts seize to an aluminum block before, but never aluminum to aluminum but that's exactly what happened to four of the 20 lug nuts. They were torqued correctly (90 ft/lbs) but seized at the base (not the threads).

I had to drill (I have some M42 bits on hand....thank goodness) out the studs and replace them. Took over 4 hours to do all four taking my time.

So, if you have aluminum lug nuts, I strongly suggest some anti-seize compound at the base (not the threads...the seat at the bottom) or better still, throw them away and use a good grade steel ones instead....it's no fun drilling these let me tell you. Replacing the studs was easy enough however....been there, done that, many times.

Here is a photo of them along with one that held up (but is now replace with steel).

Attachments

• PXL_20221010_184903579.jpg
    PXL_20221010_184903579.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
I wouldn't be anti-seizing any aluminum lug nuts. I'd throw the damm things in the creek. Maybe if they don't seize to the wheel they'll corrode on a dissimilar metal wheel stud. What a strategy. That's a shame. Did you contact Tire Rack and enlighten them to your experience. Not carping at you but I'd put these in the 'no go' category along with aluminum jack stands. Just my opinionated opinion.

I wouldn't be anti-seizing any aluminum lug nuts. I'd throw the damm things in the creek. Maybe if they don't seize to the wheel they'll corrode on a dissimilar metal wheel stud. What a strategy. That's a shame. Did you contact Tire Rack and enlighten them to your experience. Not carping at you but I'd put these in the 'no go' category along with aluminum jack stands. Just my opinionated opinion.

I agree...pitch them if you can.

I'm just about to do that with Tire Rack!

I had to drill (I have some M42 bits on hand....thank goodness) out the studs and replace them. Took over 4 hours to do all four taking my time. ...
Curious how much force you tried on those lugs before resorting to drilling. I'd expect that leaning on a pipe slipped over a 2' breaker bar would have either broken them free, or snapped the lugs (ok outcome in this case). Not intended to criticize what you did, because all of us who DIY choose whatever method seems best at the time, and ultimate success is all that ever really matters. Just wondering and, regardless of that, thanks for sharing your experience here (y)

Curious how much force you tried on those lugs before resorting to drilling. I'd expect that leaning on a pipe slipped over a 2' breaker bar would have either broken them free, or snapped the lugs (ok outcome in this case). Not intended to criticize what you did, because all of us who DIY choose whatever method seems best at the time, and ultimate success is all that ever really matters. Just wondering and, regardless of that, thanks for sharing your experience here (y)

Look at the picture I attached.

The lug nuts sheered in two!!!!!

Nothing to grab onto.

I just assumed they wouldn't break free, so my bad for not looking at your pic😞

Are you planning on contacting TireRack to see if they would reimburse a few bucks back for all the extra work this caused you?

I just assumed they wouldn't break free, so my bad for not looking at your pic😞

Are you planning on contacting TireRack to see if they would reimburse a few bucks back for all the extra work this caused you?

No worries...I'd assume the same thing if it didn't happen to me!!!

Yes, I just did. They asked me for a photo which I provided. Didn't cost much to repair...just a set of studs, one broken M42 bit, and new (STEEL) lug nuts, but the labor...ugh. LOL

I'm guessing that when they see your pic, they'll give you some non-trivial amount of $$, and will also totally discontinue using those lug nuts.

First time that I've ever heard of aluminum lug nuts. A seriously bad idea! What's the advantage of these nuts, saving weight? Ridiculous!

How much weight can one save with alu lug nuts?
I wonder. One lb?
Or, one should ask if the nuts were cast alu or forged....

How much weight can one save with alu lug nuts?
I wonder. One lb?
Or, one should ask if the nuts were cast alu or forged....

Well, it is unsprung weight, so there is that. :rolleyes:

It's VERY funny to me that some folks would worry about the added weight savings of one pound yet not worry at all about themselves being overweight.

YMMV

FWIW, I just saw an order from TireRack for 10 free lug nuts. Yeah, that makes up for four hours of my time, four new studs, and a broken M42 bit. :rolleyes:

Porsche uses aluminum lug nuts on their old school air cooled cars. But of course, those are engineered and made in house by Porsche, so those are safe.

Anything else though? Nope.aiff

FWIW, I just saw an order from TireRack for 10 free lug nuts. Yeah, that makes up for four hours of my time, four new studs, and a broken M42 bit. :rolleyes:
Wow, not what I'd expect from any place that cares about trying to keep their customers happy. Almost worse than doing nothing at all for you.

It gets worse...

Just heard back from their customer service rep. They said that their "hardware experts have stated that the lugs got cross threaded and an impact wrench was used when starting out."

Well, for the record, I hand tightened them, then torqued them to spec by hand using a torque wrench set to 90lbs.

I made them a video of one of the broken halves of a lug nut showing it spin easily on and off to prove that it was not cross threaded.

Will see what they have to say about that.

I'm really not out for anything other than for them to warn folks about these and to hopefully stop sending them out.

Just to be clear ... they broke while going on? That's crazy. If they had been on a couple years and had a chance to grow fast, I might expect trouble getting them off. But can't even handle the torque of normal installation is just ridiculous.

Just to be clear ... they broke while going on? That's crazy. If they had been on a couple years and had a chance to grow fast, I might expect trouble getting them off. But can't even handle the torque of normal installation is just ridiculous.

No, while coming off.

I hand tightened them, lowered the SUV, then torqued them to spec. All fine then.

When I went to pull them off, four out of 20 seized on me and eventually split in two. Seems like this is all too common with aluminum lug nuts from all of the videos I've since seen on how to remove them (drill out the studs).

Question for you @dps03 ... How long were those aluminum lug nuts on the car before they seized up like that?

Back