Airbag Light Flashes After Prolonged Exposure to Cold

clownshoes2

2017 CX-5 GT No Tech - 2023 CX-30 GT NA
:
CX-5
Recently with the sub 0 temperatures, when I start up my CX-5, the airbag light flashes even after the vehicle has been running for a few minutes. Once the vehicle has warmed up I simply tried turning off and turning on the vehicle again. This worked and the airbag light went off when it was supposed to. The only thing I can think of is the cold affected something at start up. Anyone else experience this?

I would argue accuracy (in regards to C or F) doesn't really matter in this case.
Would there be a different recommendation if it was 0F vs. 0C?

@clownshoes2 - When you say the light goes off after being warm, is that interior is warm or just engine? Wondering if there's a connector inside vs. outside (under hood) that is contracting/expanding with the temp changes and affecting the connection.

If the interior is still cold (but engine warm) and the light is off, I would look at the outside, but if it's when interior is warm, I would be looking inside. Just my $0.02.

Without knowing the cause of the issue, it is fair to say that accuracy can matter.

0f = -17c
0c = 32f

I agree with @Silly Wabbit, the clarifying question does not appear to be offensive in nature.

In any event, does this happen consistently upon start up in cold weather, or only once in a while?

It seems that more Canadians spell "celcius" rather than "celsius". :D
If you believe anything you find online, that is.

1643844785795.png

No offense to clarifying questions, the bad passive aggressive comment was offensive.

Passive aggressive? They asked a question, then followed it with the reason for asking the question.

You may have taken offense to the comment, but you also responded with a more obvious passive aggressive comment of your own. Something to think about.

You still have not confirmed whether you meant Celsius or Fahrenheit, or addressed any of the other questions/responses/suggestions related to the problem you're having.

Passive aggressive? They asked a question, then followed it with the reason for asking the question.

You may have taken offense to the comment, but you also responded with a more obvious passive aggressive comment of your own. Something to think about.

You still have not confirmed whether you meant Celsius or Fahrenheit, or addressed any of the other questions/responses/suggestions related to the problem you're having.
My comment was aggressive aggressive. I don't mince words.
Second,
It's spelled Celsius. Accuracy matters. And it's Celsius, USA isn't the centre of the universe anymore.

Reread my response, slowly tho, so you understand it. I bolded it for you even just in case.

Any other person would have just said "°C or °F?"

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe try preheating the interior?
That's what ends up happening. Everything warms up a bit, then I restart the Truck and voila, the airbag light goes off. I just want to know if anyone else has had their airbag light flash when it's really cold.

I would argue accuracy (in regards to C or F) doesn't really matter in this case.
Would there be a different recommendation if it was 0F vs. 0C?

@clownshoes2 - When you say the light goes off after being warm, is that interior is warm or just engine? Wondering if there's a connector inside vs. outside (under hood) that is contracting/expanding with the temp changes and affecting the connection.

If the interior is still cold (but engine warm) and the light is off, I would look at the outside, but if it's when interior is warm, I would be looking inside. Just my $0.02.
Both the engine and interior become warm. Just want to know if anyone else has had this issue. I tried searching TSB's but nada.

My comment was aggressive aggressive. I don't mince words.
Second,

Reread my response, slowly tho, so you understand it. I bolded it for you even just in case.

Any other person that's not a psychopath would have just said "°C or °F?"

Thanks for clarifying, I don't know how I missed that, but I did.

Hope you can figure this out.

I have experienced similar things a few weeks ago.
It was around -10C, not only the airbag light was on, but the seat heater buttons are also dimmer than normal, and I can't turn it off. But since it's winter I have no problem with not being able to turn off the seat heater.

Recently with the sub 0 temperatures, when I start up my CX-5, the airbag light flashes even after the vehicle has been running for a few minutes. Once the vehicle has warmed up I simply tried turning off and turning on the vehicle again. This worked and the airbag light went off when it was supposed to. The only thing I can think of is the cold affected something at start up. Anyone else experience this?
Interesting. I live in Alberta and it’s been really cold (-20 C) and lately around -5 C. I had this happen for a week and now the light won’t go off. Flashes 3/6 times for a code of 36 and stays on constantly. We may have the same issue. Did you ever figure this out ?

Frustrating for sure lol

Interesting. I live in Alberta and it’s been really cold (-20 C) and lately around -5 C. I had this happen for a week and now the light won’t go off. Flashes 3/6 times for a code of 36 and stays on constantly. We may have the same issue. Did you ever figure this out ?

Frustrating for sure lol
No, never figured out what the code is or the flashing. Once the vehicle warms up, I restart the vehicle and the flashing goes away. Once I bring my truck into the shop for it's next oil change, I will see if they can pull the codes (if any).

No, never figured out what the code is or the flashing. Once the vehicle warms up, I restart the vehicle and the flashing goes away. Once I bring my truck into the shop for it's next oil change, I will see if they can pull the codes (if any).
I’m pretty sure there are gremlins/condensation in the connectors somewhere. I’ll be digging into this and will let you know what I find out. The fact it’s intermittent makes it worse lol. Thanks to the info 👍👍

I’m pretty sure there are gremlins/condensation in the connectors somewhere. I’ll be digging into this and will let you know what I find out. The fact it’s intermittent makes it worse lol. Thanks to the info 👍👍
In that case hit up the connectors with some Electrical connection spray to clean contacts and remove moisture.

In that case hit up the connectors with some Electrical connection spray to clean contacts and remove moisture.
So update. It has nothing to do with the connectors. This has something to do with the crash/pressure sensor in the drivers door. Either the sensor is bad, or there is a broken wire from the SRS unit to the door sensor ( really hoping it’s the sensor as tracing those wires down would be a lot of work ). I have a Module in order and will let you know what I find out 👍

Back