Air conditioning not working

MikeHTally

:
2008.5 Speed3, 2006 Chrysler 300C, 2003 Ram 1500
Both fuses and the relay are healthy, the compressor just doesn't turn. Guess it's time for a dealer visit.

omg im sure i won't be thinking about AC for another 4 or 5 months!

but seriously...how do you know that the relay is ok? fuses are kinda obvious, but relays can be kind of tricky.

if you have a multimeter you could find out for sure if it's an electrical problem

it is likely you have a hole in the condensor and all the freon leaked out. I have had mine replaced twice already. they are in a bad place with no protection and take alot of rock hits..

omg im sure i won't be thinking about AC for another 4 or 5 months!

but seriously...how do you know that the relay is ok? fuses are kinda obvious, but relays can be kind of tricky.

if you have a multimeter you could find out for sure if it's an electrical problem

It was pretty muggy yesterday - needed some drier air. I noticed the defroster not being as efficient as I'm used to, now I know why.

Swapped the horn relay to the A/C circuit, no compressor, put compressor relay on the horn, horn happy.

The dealer called today - it needs a compressor and a drier. Should have it back tomorrow.

it is likely you have a hole in the condensor and all the freon leaked out. I have had mine replaced twice already. they are in a bad place with no protection and take alot of rock hits..
Unlikely it's a rock hit - the belly pan's under the compressor.

i said the condensor not the compressor the condensor sits behind the mesh grill with very little protection from rocks.

I stand corrected. I've been driving a lot of years and a lot of miles. I've never lost refrigerant to a damaged condenser. Plus, I said the compressor wasn't turning. If the refrigerant had leaked out through the condenser, the compressor would've locked up, causing the belt to squeal.

that is not true if there was no refrigerant in the condensor then the compressor would not kick on due to the low pressure switch telling the pcm to not turn the compressor on.. jump the low pressure switch with a paper clip to see if the compressor kicks on if it does then you know the issue is else where...also you could rent a set of gauges and see if you have pressure in the system no pressure no refrigerent..

They're not going to replace the compressor just because you're low on refrigerant. They'll dye it up and look for leaks. If it is in fact a pinhole in the front of the condenser, they won't cover it without a fight.

They're not going to replace the compressor just because you're low on refrigerant. They'll dye it up and look for leaks. If it is in fact a pinhole in the front of the condenser, they won't cover it without a fight.
As a matter of fact, I've already gotten it back from the dealer with a new compressor and drier. No fight to it. Overnighted the parts, in the shop just over a day.

No need to take your mods off for this right Mike?

Glad you got things fixed :)

I can just hear it now -- "Sorry, your A/C is not covered. The window tint disturbed it with the reduced load." Actually, for all the horror stories, this was entirely painless. I got a lot more respect from the service writer this time than the trip to have the radio replaced. They kept me updated during the process and the overnight order got in soon enough to be truly overnight.

Also, it helps to have something else to drive. The Ram just worked an extra day this week.

Good deal. I'd go in for the smoking turbo fix, but I'm not so sure how they'd taake to me doing all my oil changes for the past year. And I don't have any documentation aside from me logging it on MyMazda.com

Back