2017~2024 CX-5 AGM battery

:
Europe
:
2020 cx-5 GT
Hello guys!
How do I know whether my battery is AGM or not?
Just a few days ago, my battery went bonkers after 48 hours sitting still, I started the car with the help of a jumper start then a week after it happened again... I'm still investigating but guess I'll call the dealer asap if it happens again, 1 month old car... I know there are a few factors contributing, low driving range and indeed, I do small trips of 10 km back and forth to work, I also used some phone chargers that anyway, never gave me troubles on the previous cars but...

I am about to purchase a battery charger that says it is for AGM batteries and now I'm trying to figure out what kind of battery I have, some help please 😇

Thanks!

View attachment 228931View attachment 228931

Hi and thanks! I have just checked and emailed the dealer, the car is 1 month old
20201114_100719.jpg

Hi, I recently purchased a smart charger during lockdown. The charger had a button allowing selection between stop start batteries and standard lead acid ones. I connect up the charger for a few days at least once a month for my Mazda 6 and let it run on trickle charge at other times. I added a link showing the details, thought this battery charger may be of some interest. I think it should be available on ebay, it not from the manufacturer. Best wishes.
20200925_184516.jpg
20200925_184446.jpg

Hello guys!
Just a few days ago, my battery went bonkers after 48 hours sitting still, I started the car with the help of a jumper start then a week after it happened again... I'm still investigating but guess I'll call the dealer asap if it happens again, 1 month old car... I know there are a few factors contributing, low driving range and indeed, I do small trips of 10 km back and forth to work, I also used some phone chargers that anyway, never gave me troubles on the previous cars but...

I am about to purchase a battery charger that says it is for AGM batteries and now I'm trying to figure out what kind of battery I have, some help please 😇
Thanks! View attachment 228931View attachment 228931
Standard lead-acid batteries have removable access along the top, either individual caps or strips, which allow you to top up the distilled water in each battery cell (see your photo). You can look for these if you cannot find a label stating AGM. AGM batteries do not have this access as they are sealed. They do not off-gas while charging; hence they are used when design considerations result in the battery being located in the trunk. They do not leak as there is no loose water sloshing about inside the case. So sealed that you can install them on their side.

Of course...I could be wrong.

This was what actually bugged me, I've read that too, sealed caps meaning AGM but mine has them :unsure: and there is no other label on it, nor on the sides, I have removed it from the bay..

It doesn't look like an AGM battery to me.

I have a B&D maintainer but was looking into a NOCO Genius charger -for all types of batteries.

The liftgate might be killing your battery.

yes, CX5 doesnt come with AGM from the factory. Even the Q85 that some CX5s have is not AGM.

goodedward19
Check the recall. Some models had issue with the rear power liftgate draining the battery.
You battery is also still undet warranty if the car is 1 mo old. You can still go to the dealer for them to check it out.

If drained it would need a good recharge first. Either put it on a charger or drive it for at least 1-1.5 hour without stopping the car.

Last edited:
Hello guys!

Thanks! View attachment 228931View attachment 228931
Like cz5gt said above, your i-stop capable Mazds Q85 battery is NOT an AGM battery. Those re-fill caps are also the indication that your factory battery is a normal flooded battery.

If you have power liftgate, your dead battery is caused by bad power liftgate control unit.

2020 CX-5 mysterious battery draw

Service Alert No.: SA-049/20 ENGINE NO START DUE TO LOW BATTERY VOLTAGE

Special Service Program (SSP) C2 - 2020 CX-5 and 2020 CX-9 - Power LiftGate (PLG) Control Unit Concern

This was what actually bugged me, I've read that too, sealed caps meaning AGM but mine has them :unsure: and there is no other label on it, nor on the sides, I have removed it from the bay..
Since you’ve removed the battery, is it the Panasonic battery? You should see the “Panasonic” wording on the side of white plastic casing.

You should be able to start your new CX-5 even if the car is in a month or two of inactivity without a battery tender. If you can’t, either the battery is under-performed or something drawing too much current (i.e. PLG control unit) which is not supposed to.

I don`t recall to have seen what brand it is, perhaps Panasonic as on that youtube, I`ll check on the next occasion.
for now, my battery died twice and I called the road assistance, they powered my car up, all good but then I have checked the voltage after 2 days not using the car, it went down to 7v... I have an appointment for the next Wednesday, hopefully, the dealer will do something about as the VIN number is on the recall list.

I don`t recall to have seen what brand it is, perhaps Panasonic as on that youtube, I`ll check on the next occasion.
for now, my battery died twice and I called the road assistance, they powered my car up, all good but then I have checked the voltage after 2 days not using the car, it went down to 7v... I have an appointment for the next Wednesday, hopefully, the dealer will do something about as the VIN number is on the recall list.
Please keep us posted as you’re in Europe and many here in the US are interested in this same issue and what the Mazda is going to do about it. We have a Special Service Program (SSP) C2 here in the US, and it’s not a recall. In Canada there’s nothing yet. Your recall info says it’s an SSP (Special Service Program) AL019A. If you could, find out the details of your recall and see if it’s PLG control unit related. And please take a pictures of your factory battery (and replacement battery if it’s needed) showing the brand name on the side if you have a chance. If you ever received a replacement battery, it should be a different battery made by a local battery manufacture.

Back