Aftermarket Navigation!!!

flak

Wondering if anybody knows about a dash kit for a double din installation on a CX-9. (lol2) (Or a release date)

Navigation is not an option in Mexico and I don't want to ruin the interior with a lousy installation.

Thanks. I'm a little desperate about this.

How about a Garmin Nuvi? Many people are finding them preferable to the integrated systems (cheaper, easily upgradable, removable, etc.).

The current trend is that integrated nav systems actually HURT your resale value! Just as integrated car phones were replaced by bluetooth connections to regular cell phones, integrated nav systems may soon be replaced as well.

l-miwa said:
How about a Garmin Nuvi? Many people are finding them preferable to the integrated systems (cheaper, easily upgradable, removable, etc.).

I have a Garmin nuvi 660 as well as a CX-9 with integrated nav. I've used both nuvi and the integrated nav together on several occasions. Both are good and both have faults, but in different areas.

If you do chose to go with the nuvi or any portable GPS, first figure out how you're going to mount it in the car. Consider issues such as untidy wires and increased theft/break in interest in portable (i.e. easily removed) units.

I considered this, in case I ended up hating the built in system. I am thinkng that the best way to mount a widescreen nuvi 660 into the CX-9 is in the center console cup holder compartment, with power and aux audio wiring coming from the storage box just behind the cupholder. This would requirement modification to both the cupholder and a little drilling for the wiring, but I am certain that it would be possible to have it configured so that the cupholder cover could provide visual security for a permanently mounted nuvi.

In terms of other mounts, I had trouble finding other viable locations. A popular option of mounting GPSes to vents doesn't work well in the CX-9 due to the steep angle of the vents. Cupholder mount works ok, I tried it (i.e. not integrated into the cupholder as described above, but on a leg that sits in a cupholder); but, this leaves the nuvi and car exposed to break-in theft unless you constantly remove the whole contraption. Note that I have pretty much every mounting system available for the nuvi series and I've played with all of them (heavy dash base, vent, cupholder, long rigid neck that mounts to a seat bolt, and a couple of others).

Cheers,
Lexx

Usually the manufacturers recommend the front window / dashtop mounting location because the units need a relatively clear sight of the sky for good satelite reception, unless you are using an external antenna. However, with the vastly improved reception of the newer units, this may be less of an issue.

l-miwa said:
Usually the manufacturers recommend the front window / dashtop mounting location because the units need a relatively clear sight of the sky for good satelite reception, unless you are using an external antenna. However, with the vastly improved reception of the newer units, this may be less of an issue.
Yeah, with the nuvi series, using the SiRF Star III GPS chipset, clear site of the sky is pretty much never an issue. I can even use the nuvi in my basement much of the time!!! It really is incredible relative to older technology.

Lexx

Lexx said:
Yeah, with the nuvi series, using the SiRF Star III GPS chipset, clear site of the sky is pretty much never an issue. I can even use the nuvi in my basement much of the time!!! It really is incredible relative to older technology.

Lexx

You get lost in your basement too? I thought I was the only one who needed a map to find my way back upstairs. (doh)

...is the beer refrigerator a memory point? This way you can find it in the dark. (drinks)

Last edited:
Back