A couple of questions on new wheels/tires at DT

rockethead26

2019 CX-5 Reserve
:
N. Arizona @ 7000'
Hi all,

I'm close to placing and order with my local Discount Tire that I've used for years, but I've never bought rims before.

I was going to get the Mazda M011 rims, but I don't want to have to coordinate another dealer with DT and went with rims/tires I can get from DT.

I've now decided on the:

MOMO REVENGE18 X8 5-114.30 40 DGMTXX in matte anthracite

1646933855908.png

with FALKEN WILDPEAK A/T TRAIL235 /60 R18 107H XL RBL

1646933975492.png

I am dropping down from my OEM 19" rims to the 18" Momo to gain a little more sidewall and the wider 235. I wanted to get the V rated tire, but it's not available in this size and I really don't think it matters, even for the Mazda warranty folks have talked about since the OEM tires are V rated, but crappy.

I know I can ask this question of my DT service person, but I would like to know going in.

1) Do I need to request the hub-centric spacers for the wheel install, or does DT do this automatically?

2) Also, do the center brand caps come with the wheels or do they need to be ordered with the wheels? Nobody mentions this, but I've read some reviews of other rims where the owner said that they didn't come with the wheels.

Edit: I used the wrong term for hub-centric spacers. Just corrected.

Thanks,
Jim

Last edited:
I think hubcentric rings are an additional cost. If they are included, you would have to specify the make and model of vehicle to ensure that they send you the right rings, and it should be listed as a separate line item on the invoice.

I think hubcentric rings are an additional cost. If they are included, you would have to specify the make and model of vehicle to ensure that they send you the right rings, and it should be listed as a separate line item on the invoice.

Thanks again!

I just placed my order with DT and the hubcentric rings were included on the invoice without asking.

I did switch the color of the rims ordered from anthracite (gray) to matte black.

I think you will like the tires. I do. Their only negative is a quiet growl at multiples of 21 mph.

The OEM wheels are lug-centric, not hub-centric. If you order the correct wheel offset, you will not need spacers. You may want hub centering rings to make wheel mounting easier, but they are not needed, if you are careful tightening the lug nuts.

I think you will like the tires. I do. Their only negative is a quiet growl at multiples of 21 mph.

The OEM wheels are lug-centric, not hub-centric. If you order the correct wheel offset, you will not need spacers. You may want hub centering rings to make wheel mounting easier, but they are not needed, if you are careful tightening the lug nuts.
Glad you like your Wildpeaks and interesting about the 21x growl. I'll have to listen for it. The rep I ordered from at DT has the same tires on three of his 5 vehicles. That's a good recommendation, too. DT automatically added the hubcentric rings and they were only $5 so I think I would rather have them to make rotations easier.

Back