5w30 or 5w40

controlo

:
'07 Mazdaspeed3 Sport, Sunlight Silver
what is everybody running? it's time for an oil change and i thought i'd try pennzoil platinum 5w30. i've heard people running rotella 5w40 as well.

I usually get whats on sale. Have used mobil 1 5w-30 a couple times and my last change was royal purple 5w-30. Also did penzoil plat a while back.

Oil

I've used Mobil 1 the last several times. I went to Pennzoil Platinum this last time and after 1,000 miles the oil looks cleaner than Mobil 1. It could be my oil catch can installation with the oil change could be the difference.

i went with pennzoil. it was on sale and i've heard nothing but good things about it. we'll see how it turns out tomorrow.

Just went pennzoil ultra about 1k ago. 5w-30. Before that was Castrol Edge of the same weight - since oil change #2

To OP: There are probably a hundred threads on oil choices and just about as many opinions, so I'll not add my personal preference. I hate to say it, but "search and ye shall find."

Ultimately, any full synthetic in either 5W-30 or 5W-40 that is fully API certified for today's criteria will work fine under conditions warmer than the arctic circle and cooler than the equator.

... Ultimately, any full synthetic in either 5W-30 or 5W-40 that is fully API certified for today's criteria will work fine under conditions warmer than the arctic circle and cooler than the equator.
That there's a lot o' territory :D I've considered going to -40 in the summer here in sunny Florida. It just doesn't get driven in serious heat and low speeds enough.

w5-30 unless you're having smoking turbo problem then I would go for 5w-40.

Last edited:
To OP: There are probably a hundred threads on oil choices and just about as many opinions, so I'll not add my personal preference. I hate to say it, but "search and ye shall find."

Ultimately, any full synthetic in either 5W-30 or 5W-40 that is fully API certified for today's criteria will work fine under conditions warmer than the arctic circle and cooler than the equator.

the problem with "search and ye shall find" is that many of the age old topics may not be valid at this point in time. time changes things such as opinions and ideas, my friend. but generally, yes, search is your friend and mine.

anyone notice differences running royal purple? my buddy just switched over to royal purple and he SWEARS by it now... says that his car runs better and he hasn't burned half as much of the oil up as he did before with mobil1 changes... i'm trying to figure out if i should pay the premium for royal purple for my next oil change.

I have been using regular dino oil 5w-30 since day 1, mostly shell, once in a while castrol. My car is now sitting at almost 50k on the engine with no mechanical breakdowns of any kind, and the inside of the engine visible from the oil filler is squeaky clean, like new. No varnish or discoloration. It runs perfectly, so I am going to stick with it. I change every 3,000 miles.

Amsoil 5w-40 for me.. with a EaO15 filter..

100_0307-1.jpg

Last edited:
Either weight should be fine, esp with a high quality synthetic. Penzoil Platinum is generally well regarded for direct injection engines as it holds up well to fuel dilution. It is available cheap in 5 quart jugs at Wal Mart (I generally spend ~$30 for 6 quarts total). If you're really into this, check out bobistheoilguy.com. More stuff there on vehicular lubricants than you'll really want to know.

Back