323 BD cylinder no.4 doesn't fire

Tribonianus

:
Mazda 323 BD
Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum but I have a question for anyone who is willing to help.

I have 1984 Mazda 323 with E5 engine in it. It's the same 1.5l engine used in Ford Laser KA/KB and Meteor GA/GB.
She ran fine up until few days ago when I went to the fuel station. After getting some fuel, I've noticed that car started shaking and running weird. Running weird only happens when idling. When over 1500 RPM, car runs fine and has same amount of power as before.
(Seven days prior to this event, I've cleaned spark plugs and noticed carbon buildups on them. I guess it's running rich. Could it make cylinder stop running?)
I tried pulling spark plug cables out and when I did pull out cable no. 4 car did't change idle at all. (Can start and run.)
After that I changed spark plug, tried switching spark plugs, switched cables. I did notice that spark coming from ignition coil is weaker on that cylinder...when tested, it sparks with metal from 1 inch distance (same as other cables.) So I guess cylinder gets spark.

Fuel and air - it's 2 barrel Hitachi 2V carb. I'm assuming other cylinders wouldn't fire if it was due to carb. Am I wrong?
*I had to change head gasked (technician did it) about one year ago.

Do you have any ideas what could it be? Could weak spark make cylinder die or ? Did you experience this problem?

Back