3.7L CX-9 Engine Replacement Options?

So I've been digging around to see what options there are. It looks like the 3.7L that Mazda uses is just a bored out 3.7L (iVCT) rather than the revised 3.7L (Ti-iVCT) Ford used themselves. But the MKS and MKT also used this engine. Can those engines be used in the Mazda's or can the Mazda 6 engine's be used?

Looking for a Vin V, but can't find the difference between A and V, and just curious if anyone has ever used one of the Ford/Lincoln options?

The situation is this: My dad picked up a 55k mile 13' CX-9 from Co-Part. I didn't see the auction, but he swears it was listed as driving, I don't know how strict they are on this though. Does driving mean, "yeah it moves under it's own power, but if it makes a horrible knocking sound we don't care"? Because that ended up being the case, my dad went to pick up this car, clean title, but needed body work and as soon as it fired up it was knocking. We dropped the pan and the crank is toast, rod bearing 3 at least rotated the bottom portion of the bearing and stacked on the top. So no matter what the engine has to come out, and at that point it will be quicker to throw in another engine.

So I've been digging around to see what options there are. It looks like the 3.7L that Mazda uses is just a bored out 3.7L (iVCT) rather than the revised 3.7L (Ti-iVCT) Ford used themselves. But the MKS and MKT also used this engine. Can those engines be used in the Mazda's or can the Mazda 6 engine's be used?

Looking for a Vin V, but can't find the difference between A and V, and just curious if anyone has ever used one of the Ford/Lincoln options?

The situation is this: My dad picked up a 55k mile 13' CX-9 from Co-Part. I didn't see the auction, but he swears it was listed as driving, I don't know how strict they are on this though. Does driving mean, "yeah it moves under it's own power, but if it makes a horrible knocking sound we don't care"? Because that ended up being the case, my dad went to pick up this car, clean title, but needed body work and as soon as it fired up it was knocking. We dropped the pan and the crank is toast, rod bearing 3 at least rotated the bottom portion of the bearing and stacked on the top. So no matter what the engine has to come out, and at that point it will be quicker to throw in another engine.
Call a junkyard for the answer. Tell them the model and year. They try to avoid and will not sell a part's that won't work. Most yards are conputerized with all part's cross-referenced across make, model and year. They should be able to tell you what they have and what might work. You can also ask/mention if the other engine will work.

Also, if looking for New, check with the manufacturer/dealer.

Back