22X10.5 wheel with 40 offset?

FV9

:
2017 Mazda CX9 Signature
Has anyone else tried this size wheel on the CX9 aside from Bobhope123 as noted below in a 2017 post? I really like the look and am curious if anyone has gone with it and with what results? THis would be for my wife's 2017 Signature. Thanks!

Last edited:
Rear 10,5 width will definitely fit. However the front might have some issue. It will fit but need to play around with the offset or spacer. As for the tyre, 295/30 front and 325/25 rear. Unless if you prefer same size for both front and rear, go for 295/30.

This guy used a 10.5 rim from and rear with 285/35/R22 tires. Looks really good. 40 offset may be too much.

I have 22x10.5 +30ET wheels mounted on 285/35/22 tires (same specs as the one quoted by dougal). I took pictures with this setup installed to see how much clearance I had front and back. I posted them in my "build thread", but here are the photos.

Front:
attachment.php

Rear:
attachment.php

Note how close the front tire is to the spring perch and the shock body. I would estimate maybe 10-15 mm of clearance between a 22x10.5+30 wheel and the shock body. Technically a 22x10.5 +40 wheel would fit, it would just sit 10 mm closer to the shock body.

I would not risk going any larger than 285/35/22 for the tires. They may rub against the spring perch, especially if you go with a 10.5 +40 wheel.

Has anyone else tried this size wheel on the CX9 aside from Bobhope123 as noted below in a 2017 post? I really like the look and am curious if anyone has gone with it and with what results? THis would be for my wife's 2017 Signature. Thanks!

I have 20x10 w/ +40 offset, and I don't have any issues. I just got some new SCORPION VERDE™ ALL SEASON PLUS II tires mounted: 275/45R20 110V XL .

IMG-1817.JPG

IMG-1815.JPG

I purchased a new to us 2019 Touring with 20 inch wheels and Scorpion Verde tires (the tires are brand new). While we have put more miles on the loaner vehicles that Mazda has given us (more on this later when it gets fixed) than we have on our CX9, I can tell you that I am not impressed with the Pirelli Scorpion Verde tires. My main complaint with them comes from the amount of noise that they generate. On anything other than brand new glass like asphalt the roar they produce is unacceptable. One of the many loaners that we have driven was a 2019 CX9 with 20 inch Ecopia tires and the noise they produced was at least 50% less. If we decide to keep the CX9 after Mazda gets it repaired the 1st thing that will be replaced is the tires.

Thank you for your insight.

I once had some Delinte tires. It felt like I was riding on PowerWheels tires! I took them off as soon as I could.

I have 22x10.5 +30ET wheels mounted on 285/35/22 tires (same specs as the one quoted by dougal). I took pictures with this setup installed to see how much clearance I had front and back. I posted them in my "build thread", but here are the photos.
Rear:
Note how close the front tire is to the spring perch and the shock body. I would estimate maybe 10-15 mm of clearance between a 22x10.5+30 wheel and the shock body. Technically a 22x10.5 +40 wheel would fit, it would just sit 10 mm closer to the shock body.

I would not risk going any larger than 285/35/22 for the tires. They may rub against the spring perch, especially if you go with a 10.5 +40 wheel.
What do you think about a 22x10.5 +25? One of the wheel options I like only comes in +45 (would sit too close to the shock) or +25. Worried that the +25 might stick out too far and potentially cause issues. Do you think it would work based on what you’ve seen with your +30 setup??

What do you think about a 22x10.5 +25? One of the wheel options I like only comes in +45 (would sit too close to the shock) or +25. Worried that the +25 might stick out too far and potentially cause issues. Do you think it would work based on what you’ve seen with your +30 setup??

I think it would work just fine. The only real "problem" I have now is that the car gets dirty a little faster because the mudflaps aren't wide enough for the wheels/tires. I actually put a pair of 5mm wheel spacers on the rears, so the rear fitment is actually more like 22x10.5 +25. Here are a couple of old pics:

IMG_20190630_090701.jpg

IMG_20200819_190141.jpg

I'm on stock suspension, so no rubbing on anything. With +30 fronts, I have no rubbing or clearance issues. I'm able to make full-lock u-turns no problem. I don't know if 5mm will make any difference up front, but I don't think it will. I think worst case scenario, you might slightly rub the plastic fender guard if you take a sharp turn and hit a pothole in the middle of the turn (pretty rare situation IMO). Same thing would probably happen with +30 up front. I would go for it.

Did the 5mm spacer work ok with the stock wheel studs? Still lots of thread left for the lug nuts?

Yep, working great with the stock wheel studs. Enough thread left for both the aftermarket wheels/lugs and the OEM wheels/lugs (I leave the spacers on when I swap over to my winter wheels). That said, I wouldn't go with anything thicker than 5mm without getting extended studs or a spacer with built in studs.

So I went into my local wheel shop to look at options and the sales guy said that the 22x10.5 +25 would be too aggressive. He suggested going with a less aggressive offset and adding spacers if need be. I’m not sure that I totally agree, but if I order the +25 and they don’t fit I’d be stuck with them.
Would love to hear from any others who have done aggressive offsets! (I’m looking at you again @sm1ke haha)

So I went into my local wheel shop to look at options and the sales guy said that the 22x10.5 +25 would be too aggressive. He suggested going with a less aggressive offset and adding spacers if need be. I’m not sure that I totally agree, but if I order the +25 and they don’t fit I’d be stuck with them.
Would love to hear from any others who have done aggressive offsets! (I’m looking at you again @sm1ke haha)

It may be too aggressive for his tastes, but it will work.

With my 22x10.5 +30 setup in front, and 285/35/22 tires, the wheels are basically flush with the top of the fender (same as the way the rear wheel is flush with the fender in this pic).

index.php

A +25 offset would look very similar - just 5mm further outboard (away from the suspension). If you're okay with that, then go for it. I wish it was summer.. I'd still have my wheels on and I could just go out and take some pics for you.

Just note that if you do go with a less aggressive offset, you may also need to go with a thinner rim. For example, a 10.5" wide rim with a +50 offset means that the inner rim will likely make contact with the suspension up front. Does the wheel you're considering come in other sizes, like a 9" or 9.5" width? If so, what are the offset options for those widths?

I want an aggressive flush look so I’m totally ok with it. My only concern would be rubbing in the fronts, and it’s so hard to judge that without physically mounting the wheels and tires. That’s why I’m hoping to rely on other’s setups and experience.

I also want a concave wheel and it seems you have to go for a 10.5 to get that, which I’m totally ok with too. Would do a 285/35/22 tire.

Last edited:
I just picked up a set of 22x10.5 38 offset wheels. They have some rotted 285/35/22 tires on them. I mounted passenger front on and looks to have plenty or room including lock to lock turning. I am working on cleaning them up, painting them and getting new tires. Just picked up some new center cap Mazda stickers to replace the ones on them. Can’t wait for them to be completed and in the car. My cx9 is blue. Show me some pictures of what color wheels you have on. Trying to decide on what color to paint them!

Attachments

• 4F7D3684-7D54-46CF-9307-7D850879256C.jpeg
    4F7D3684-7D54-46CF-9307-7D850879256C.jpeg
    197.4 KB · Views: 180
  • 2C492361-37BD-4BF4-BDCC-7D49CB5D1330.jpeg
    2C492361-37BD-4BF4-BDCC-7D49CB5D1330.jpeg
    124 KB · Views: 162
I just picked up a set of 22x10.5 38 offset wheels. They have some rotted 285/35/22 tires on them. I mounted passenger front on and looks to have plenty or room including lock to lock turning. I am working on cleaning them up, painting them and getting new tires. Just picked up some new center cap Mazda stickers to replace the ones on them. Can’t wait for them to be completed and in the car. My cx9 is blue. Show me some pictures of what color wheels you have on. Trying to decide on what color to paint them!

Those look like Curva C48 wheels. Here are the colours they originally came in, just for reference:

Capture.JPG

I think a "safe" colour choice is silver or gunmetal grey. I'm not a fan matte or gloss black on wheels. Personally, I really like gold wheels on that shade of blue, but it is a "loud" colour combination and it may not be your style. Some examples:

Estoril-Blue-BMW-M5-with-HRE-RC104-Wheels-in-Satin-Gold-5-830x553.jpg

BY0_2026.jpg

range-rover-svr-vossen-forged-uv1-16.gif

My CX-9 is machine grey, but here are a couple of pics of my satin bronze wheels in different lighting.

side-at-sunset.jpg

side-at-noon.JPG

So finally got the wheels finished and mounted. Found a hell of a deal on a set of 285/35/22 Accelera tires that I couldn’t pass up. The car is still dirty haven’t had a chance to wash it but it is what is is for now.

Specs: 22x10.5 Curva Concepts C48 wrapped with 285/35 tires. According to the specs the wheels have a 38 offset but in measuring I found them to be closer if not right at 40.

No rubbing or any kind of interference anywhere. No spacers used. Wheels are pretty flush with the fenders. Don’t have a picture right now of that but can get one in the morning if anyone is interested.

40 series tires would probably make the gaps in the fenders a little less noticeable, but I just couldn’t pass up the deal I got on the 35.

Ride feels good. Not rough. I would say the difference from stock size 50 series tires is negligible.

Very happy with the wheels, tires and ride… now just need to lower it a bit and a few other cosmetic changes (front lip, rear diffuser, chrome delete) and I should be done… for now.
A3ED573A-77E0-4280-BDB6-9CEF5DED493C.jpeg
0A3D31D3-E9BF-4D74-BA40-910D0D270AAB.jpeg
3A244082-680C-4B96-BB20-1B27D1D354E7.jpeg

Looks good! But are you sure they're +40? Maybe it's just the angle, but they look like they poke out more than my +30 set..

Looks good! But are you sure they're +40? Maybe it's just the angle, but they look like they poke out more than my +30 set..
Thanks.

The wheels were/are stamped 38. I measured them and I got 40. I seriously doubt they are anything less than 38 but they do “poke” enough to make them look flush with fenders.

They do sit quite close to the shock in the front. Similar to the picture someone posted earlier.

And the 285 tire looks a bit stretched. Do your tires stretch like these? Maybe wheels are wider than 10.5 they are stamped?
7ABBDAA2-9B81-4CF0-9F54-66045C26DDAE.jpeg
E2AF9F14-C2AB-4D71-8150-7EB37FEB2C78.jpeg
C6355454-34BD-430B-A985-BCD57886F4EF.jpeg

Back