2022 CX-5: No Parchment with Turbo spec but 6 more HP?

:
CX5 '21 GTR
Just browsing Mazda website...

Am I reading it right that 2021 was the last year one could get a turbo CX5 with Parchment interior?
Makes my car pretty unique.

Also, they claim that 2022 ones are 256HP vs 2021 250HP on 93, while still same 227HP on 87, I doubt they changed the engines, probably tuned a bit? Maybe could be replicated on 2021?

I stated the same thing in the 2022 CX-5 thread. The only color choices are black in what used to be the GT-R and the Caturra Brown (which looks black!) in the Signature.

But you can get the parchment in the lower N/A engines.

I think the 2022 model year says volumes about Mazda's plans for the CX-5.

Just browsing Mazda website...

Am I reading it right that 2021 was the last year one could get a turbo CX5 with Parchment interior?
Makes my car pretty unique….
When I noticed this, I took the CX-5 off my list. I require a light colored interior, beige or light gray. While I enjoy my 2.5 NA, I would have got the Turbo in a heartbeat had it been available 5+ years ago.

I did put a deposit on my next ride - a 2023 Ioniq 5 Limited AWD. Expected delivery in 2 months. 320 HP and class-leading recharge rates. (18 minutes for 10-80% with DC fast charging.)

I’ll still keep up with this forum, as my wife will be taking over the CX-5 and handing her 08 RAV4 V6 to the grandkids. She says she’ll miss the 279 ponies, but she really needs something with better safety tech.

When I noticed this, I took the CX-5 off my list. I require a light colored interior, beige or light gray. While I enjoy my 2.5 NA, I would have got the Turbo in a heartbeat had it been available 5+ years ago.

I did put a deposit on my next ride - a 2023 Ioniq 5 Limited AWD. Expected delivery in 2 months. 320 HP and class-leading recharge rates. (18 minutes for 10-80% with DC fast charging.)

I’ll still keep up with this forum, as my wife will be taking over the CX-5 and handing her 08 RAV4 V6 to the grandkids. She says she’ll miss the 279 ponies, but she really needs something with better safety tech.
The Ioniq 5 has great reviews and too bad Mazda has nothing similar to offer (MX-30 is in a different league). Except for lack of rear wiper/washer which Tesla doesn't have either, low ground clearance is about the only other negative point. Overall, at least a couple of notches above other mainstream EV like Kona, Bolt, Leaf, Niro, Soul, etc. Perhaps a notch above VW iD4 and pretty close to Tesla and Mach-E IMO but cheaper.

I would love to have an AWD EV one day but I will wait to see what's coming next from Mazda, Nissan (Leaf to be replaced by a small SUV), Honda, GM, Toyota/Subaru (higher ground clearance but much lower HP).

The Ioniq 5 has great reviews and too bad Mazda has nothing similar to offer (MX-30 is in a different league). Except for lack of rear wiper/washer which Tesla doesn't have either, low ground clearance is about the only other negative point. Overall, at least a couple of notches above other mainstream EV like Kona, Bolt, Leaf, Niro, Soul, etc. Perhaps a notch above VW iD4 and pretty close to Tesla and Mach-E IMO but cheaper.

I would love to have an AWD EV one day but I will wait to see what's coming next from Mazda, Nissan (Leaf to be replaced by a small SUV), Honda, GM, Toyota/Subaru (higher ground clearance but much lower HP).
Yea, lack of a rear wiper/washer is a drawback. In the Denver desertish climate less so than more humid areas. I plan on keeping a bucket with washer fluid and a squeegee in the garage.

The 6.1” clearance is a bit low, but we plan upon using the CX-5 with Blizzak DM-V2’s for most snow duty and we never go off-road - gravel 3x yearly maybe.

Nissan Ariya is overpriced, about $3k more for comparable models. Besides, I think of Nissan as Japan’s Chrysler, or whatever they go by. Marginal engineering, low initial quality and poor long term reliability.

I drove an ID.4 and didn’t like it at all. Low power, so so range and cheap interior. Besides, with all the electrical problems I had with my VW EOS, I’d be crazy to get a VW electric lol.

Last edited:
Anyone find a way to get parchment in a turbo in 2023? Is there a way to get a custom build from factory?

Sad to hear about no parchment for the 2022 Turbo's.

The 2023 Hyundai Ioniq 5 looks really nice but not practical for me. Some of my trips are 300+ miles so it's 250 range would leave me stranded. No time or place to charge when I do my 300 mile round trips through the southwest desert. Local daily commutes would be fine but not longer roadtrips. ICE still rules that realm but that might change with time but not for at least 5-10 years where I reside.

With Turbo model, even the roof linings are black ...
I love it, though. Make sure you are aware of that.

Funny, I started researching cars for my wife's next one back something like 2016. That's how I found the CX-5, of which she was not enamored. I ended up getting the 2018 for myself, and had to nurse my old car along for her because she couldn't settle on anything.

For a long time, she was holding out for the ID Buzz, but as the production version diverged more and more from the concept, she turned on it.

Last month she bought a 2023 Ioniq 5 and loves it.

I'm holding out for a plugin hybrid CX-70, if they make decisions about it that suit me.

Her Ioniq 5 cost about twice as much as my CX-5 did.

I think your dealer meant that, they can customer order one for you as long as it is within Mazda-allowed combinations.
Parchment+Turbo is probably not allowed.

Last edited:
Agree with Ceric. I don't think Mazda will allow something not on the build sheet (when I built a '23 CX-5 it shows parchment as available ONLY with Preferred, Premium and Premium Plus levels). Porsche, for example, will make a paint color custom for you. You provide a swatch, and they will have a paint made for your car. Super pricey, but it can be done. Most mainstream car makers won't do this. If you are able to get the parchment leather in a turbo please let us know. It really is silly you can't order it if it's available in other trims. Why would they decrease available options as the trim level (i.e. price) increases? I feel that way about the Signature trim. Many don't care for the brown color of the leather they use. Why not offer parchment and black as options? I assume it is because they are using a higher grade Napa leather on the Sig and don't want to have to have it made in other colors.

Last edited:
Back