2022 CX5 Signature - Interior window fog

GTEyes

2022 CX5 Signature - Machine Grey
:
NS, Canada
Hi Everyone,

I am noticing something on my '22 and I am curious if anyone else is experiencing the same thing.
I will start off by saying I have owned 4 Mazdas with Auto climate control (3, 6, and 2x CX5) and this is the first time I've had this issue.

This is regarding the HVAC system...

1) There is a noticeable temperature difference between the passenger and driver's side vents when the system is set to the same temperature on both sides. I found the driver's side vents are much warmer which I am not a fan of. I am having the set the auto temp much lower to keep things comfortable on my side, meanwhile the passenger side seems to be significantly cooler. I recall this being an issue on the new (19+) Mazda3s.

2) I am getting a lot of fog on the windshield and rear side windows when it's mega-humid or cooler (8-12 degrees Celsius) out. With the system on Auto my windows are fogging up so I am having to manually set the air to be directed on to the windshield to clear the fog off the inside. I have never experienced this before and curious if i've just been lucky with my previous rigs or if this is a sign of something not operating correctly. It has always been a "Set it and forget it" system in my other Mazdas.

I snapped a picture back in July when I first noticed it but it seemed to stop but it's happening again with the cooler mornings.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• E5EC5516-00D0-4F72-B562-9C4D4C691901.JPG
    E5EC5516-00D0-4F72-B562-9C4D4C691901.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 118
Haven't had that happen here but I live in Washington State 14 miles east of Seattle just off I-90. The coldest days we've had have been in the mid to upper 40's.

Haven't had that happen here but I live in Washington State 14 miles east of Seattle just off I-90. The coldest days we've had have been in the mid to upper 40's.
Thanks for that. I should clarify this happened in the middle of summer as well we’re the humidity was very high and temps were in the mid to high teens (Celcius) in the mornings.

Thanks for that. I should clarify this happened in the middle of summer as well we’re the humidity was very high and temps were in the mid to high teens (Celcius) in the mornings.
We are finally going to get some rain here after .04 inches since July. Currently a sprinkle and 80% humidity. The current temperature is 55 degrees at 2:14 AM. Balmy arid western Washington.

Have you cleaned the insides of the glass? Often times there's a coating of 'something' on the glass and it leads to easy fogging.

Have you cleaned the insides of the glass? Often times there's a coating of 'something' on the glass and it leads to easy fogging.
I did. I gave the inside of the window another good cleaning last night and didn't see much fog this morning so that could be a contributing factor for sure!

I've noticed this on both our Mazda's especially if the windows are all closed.
Sometimes it's almost impossible to clear the front windshield even with the defroster on high.
Only way to clear it is to open a window.
Never had this problem with any other car we've owned, may be due to the fact that the CX-5 is tight.

I've noticed this on both our Mazda's especially if the windows are all closed.
Sometimes it's almost impossible to clear the front windshield even with the defroster on high.
Only way to clear it is to open a window.
Never had this problem with any other car we've owned, may be due to the fact that the CX-5 is tight.
Interesting. What year is your cx5? What other Mazdas have you experienced this in?

Just a quick update on this. I used a point and shoot thermometer to see what the actual temps are of the vents once everything settled on my drive to work. The vents have a temp differential of 10 degrees, so there is definitely something up. I've reached out to my dealer and Mazda Canada has already proposed a few things to try so next time I'm there they are going to try a fix. Interesting point, which aligns with the fog issue as well, Mazda Canada wants to try evacuating and recharging the AC system (this was before I mentioned the fog issue to them)...so the two issues could be due to low refrigerant in the system...which could mean a leak somewhere...ugh. But that's a few steps ahead of where we are now.

Just a little update.
I am starting to wonder if the two times I had this fog issue happen it was because I had the AC off. 🥴
Depending on weather, I drive some of the way home with the windows down and AC off to enjoy the fresh air...and sometimes I forget to turn it on. I am really starting to think the two times I've had this fog issue is because the AC was off.

Still having the vent temp issue and sounds like Mazda wants to get into the heat box and check the blend doors (@scoobdude) but I think I may just adjust the passenger side temp and call it a day as my interior is too new to be into the dash for such a minor issue.

Another thing to check / note is the position of the switches for fresh air vs recirculating ... That'll make a big difference on moisture inside as well.

Just a little update.
I am starting to wonder if the two times I had this fog issue happen it was because I had the AC off. 🥴
Depending on weather, I drive some of the way home with the windows down and AC off to enjoy the
If the A/C was off AND the system was still in RECIRC, then for sure it will fog the windows. The Windows may still tend to fog in really humid cold weather (below 60F) even with the system in FRESH AIR mode, but A/C off.

Back