2022 CX-50?!

Plot thickens...Short title but caught my attention immediately! 👍

Hmmm...CX-50 eh? The Straight-Six rumor drum beat is getting louder.

I hope this occurs. It will perfectly dovetail with my vehicle schedule as by 2025, I should have around 200k miles on my GTR, and would love to snag a CPO.

Reading that article it sounded as if RWD would replace an AWD option altogether. For us automotives noobs can someone pls comment if RWD provides similar rugged traction?

This basically removes the current CX5's position in the lineup. I realize the CX30 is close in size, but still. Not quite.

For me, I have a CX9 and would love to add a CX5 in couple years. But if it is explorer sized, nope. If they take CX5 that far upmarket, I hope they replace it with something in the compact range.

And what would they do with CX9? And how do they plan on keeping sales north of Virginia with no AWD? (forgive me I'm Canadian...would north of Philly be more accurate? I know in Buffalo they love AWD!!!)

Reading that article it sounded as if RWD would replace an AWD option altogether. For us automotives noobs can someone pls comment if RWD provides similar rugged traction?
Funny, this thread caused me to go read a couple of articles on RWD/FWD/AWD. Sadly, none of them discussed the daily handling benefits of AWD as if no such thing existed, they only discussed slugging through snow.

A nice inline 6 with at least 300 HP and plenty of torque oombined with rear wheel drive as god intended in a standard model and AWD as an option would be a real winner.
Sadly, it's 280hp/250tq. Such an abysmal fail from Mazda. I'll likely buy an audi sq5 unless they revise the numbers up as we move closer to drop date.

To be fair, it wouldn't surprise me if it was called the CX-50.

RWD based just means that.. RWD based vs fwd.. was have fwd based awd. This means the engine will be longitudinal. FWD is a product of economy and ease of manufacture, not performance..

Sadly, it's 280hp/250tq. Such an abysmal fail from Mazda. I'll likely buy an audi sq5 unless they revise the numbers up as we move closer to drop date.

Here in Canada, sq5 starts at $64 000. CX5 tops out at $43 000. That's a big gap for Mazda to play with. If the power numbers end up reality, and they can get it out the door in the low 50s, I think it's got a chance to be competitive. Assuming all the other features scale up appropriately

If under 50k, sign me up now. But yes, if it start to creep up near 60k, they will have an issue convincing people.

But you never know. The platform is the 6, so one could ask the same question...what if price creeps up to Audi and infiniti sedan ranges...but then again, I see Avalons (ok not a lot) and maximas on the road, so many a few thousand is enough of a gap to make people pause and ask do I really need to spend more.

I've never owned a luxury brand but I've paid prices where I could have. I always find there's equipment/features missing for the same price. I'd like to one day have an Audi or Acura (I tend to like those more) but I also tend to turn cars over quicker than most. The savings on price paid help me in that respect.

Here in Canada, sq5 starts at $64 000. CX5 tops out at $43 000. That's a big gap for Mazda to play with. If the power numbers end up reality, and they can get it out the door in the low 50s, I think it's got a chance to be competitive. Assuming all the other features scale up appropriately

If under 50k, sign me up now. But yes, if it start to creep up near 60k, they will have an issue convincing people.

But you never know. The platform is the 6, so one could ask the same question...what if price creeps up to Audi and infiniti sedan ranges...but then again, I see Avalons (ok not a lot) and maximas on the road, so many a few thousand is enough of a gap to make people pause and ask do I really need to spend more.

I've never owned a luxury brand but I've paid prices where I could have. I always find there's equipment/features missing for the same price. I'd like to one day have an Audi or Acura (I tend to like those more) but I also tend to turn cars over quicker than most. The savings on price paid help me in that respect.

CPO SQ5 with 20-30K miles on it is $45K.

As it stands, the CX5 will get skulldragged by a 2 year old RAV4. No thanks unless they up those rookie numbers. 280hp i6? What is this, 1995?

As it stands, the CX5 will get skulldragged by a 2 year old RAV4. No thanks unless they up those rookie numbers. 280hp i6? What is this, 1995?

This. There are over 1000+ posts over at RAV4World under the PHEV thread. People are going to gobble the Prime up and there is no reason not to (if the gas tank will fill all the way that is lol). 300+ horsepower, nearly 40 miles pure electric range, hybrid fuel economy once the plug in juice is out, technically AWD. The upscale “feel” of a Mazda may be there, but the features of the Prime are going to kill it.

The upscale “feel” of a Mazda may be there, but the features of the Prime are going to kill it.

I actually do like the look of rav interior, but I put big emphasis on touch, feel, materials, etc. Prob more than most. CX5 seems in reviews to still have enough of an edge for me (But i've not sat in a RAV myself)

And handling. Can't see them taking the RAV and making it dance. For me, speed is important but it's not the primary thing. Nor is fuel eco (I know that isn't a popular thing to admit).

CPO SQ5 with 20-30K miles on it is $45K.

Can't argue against used. I've never gone that route, but for those that do it is a good option.

I actually do like the look of rav interior, but I put big emphasis on touch, feel, materials, etc. Prob more than most. CX5 seems in reviews to still have enough of an edge for me (But i've not sat in a RAV myself)

And handling. Can't see them taking the RAV and making it dance. For me, speed is important but it's not the primary thing. Nor is fuel eco (I know that isn't a popular thing to admit).

SofTex is very hit or miss for car enthusiasts. I really like it in my gas RAV4 (‘19 XLE Premium) because it feels durable and I don’t think my kids will destroy it on weekly muddy hikes. The feel of the remainder of the interior is not up to par with Mazda; it’s a lot of plastic. I prefer utility so Im good with it.

What the RAV4 really needs is a beefier anti sway bar. It handles really well and the steering isn’t as numb as I thought it would be. If it didn’t roll as much in turns, I think it would narrow the gap between the feel factor between the RAV4 and CX5.

Mazda would set themselves up for a future as a niche provider with a line 6 RWD gasser with less than 300HP (if rumor planned out). The masses just don’t put as much stock in the feel of the drive and the premium interiors offered by Mazda, and may not be able to sway a ton of people from a Toyota with the specs the RAV4 Prime is going to have. With Toyota accelerating their EV plans by 5 years, I don’t think they’ll stop at PHEV either.

Back