2022 CX-5 Stealth Hitch

Has anyone with a CX5 put on a Stealth Hitch? Have a 2022 Turbo on order and want to see if that hitch will work. Pricey, but like how it's hidden when not used, and is for bike rack. Contacted them, but haven't heard back. I would think it's the same as '21?

Thanks,

Has anyone with a CX5 put on a Stealth Hitch? Have a 2022 Turbo on order and want to see if that hitch will work. Pricey, but like how it's hidden when not used, and is for bike rack. Contacted them, but haven't heard back. I would think it's the same as '21?

Thanks,
That looks cool but pricey. I assume it's the same as the 2021.

I put a 2" Curt hitch on my GTR right before Xmas also to be used for a bike rack. The receiver does show but I don't find it offensive. I got it from E-trailer for $130. Wasn't too difficult to install especially without a lift. I'm still going back & forth between a one bike 1UP & a Kuat Sherpa rack.

Upvote 0
That looks cool but pricey. I assume it's the same as the 2021.

I put a 2" Curt hitch on my GTR right before Xmas also to be used for a bike rack. The receiver does show but I don't find it offensive. I got it from E-trailer for $130. Wasn't too difficult to install especially without a lift. I'm still going back & forth between a one bike 1UP & a Kuat Sherpa rack.
Do you have a 2022? I bought a 22 cx5 and need a hitch for my rack.
No one can confirm if the 2021 hitch fits. Anyone know??

Upvote 0
No, I have a 2019. The Curt hitch I got does allegedly fit the 2021. E-trailer where I got mine only lists up through 2021. Even when a given part does fit the latest model year, it seems to take the manufacturers a fit of time to update their product compatibility.

Upvote 0
I would be surprised if it doesn't fit. Mazda didn't have updates in that area. eTrailer might have info if you ask them.

Upvote 0
I would be surprised if it doesn't fit. Mazda didn't have updates in that area. eTrailer might have info if you ask them.
I asked them. They don’t have info. Even reached out to curt manufacturing. They don’t know either. No one can confirm. I might buy one and try it. The install doesn’t seem the easiest but not the hardest either

Upvote 0
I asked them. They don’t have info. Even reached out to curt manufacturing. They don’t know either. No one can confirm. I might buy one and try it. The install doesn’t seem the easiest but not the hardest either.
The install wasn't bad even without a lift. It's definitely easier with 2 people. Just watch the how to videos on E-trailer.

Upvote 0
I asked them. They don’t have info. Even reached out to curt manufacturing. They don’t know either. No one can confirm. I might buy one and try it. The install doesn’t seem the easiest but not the hardest either
I wonder what Uhaul would say, or if they have it on their website? There is probably a minor difference between the Gen1 (2013-2016) and the Gen2 (2017-present) but I don't know how or why th e 2022 would be different.

The challenge I had installing by myself was supporting the weight (30+ lbs) while installing the bolts.

Upvote 0
I wonder what Uhaul would say, or if they have it on their website? There is probably a minor difference between the Gen1 (2013-2016) and the Gen2 (2017-present) but I don't know how or why th e 2022 would be different.

The challenge I had installing by myself was supporting the weight (30+ lbs) while installing the bolts.
Putting my hitch on in spring after winter breaks. It's a two man job unless you can brace it. Gonna support using floor jacks and jack stands, wood blocks and/or whatever else will hold in place while bolt it in.

Upvote 0
According to this Mazda parts flash from couple of months ago, "Due to a revised rear bumper for the 2022 CX-5, the current accessory trailer tow hitch and trailer hitch harness cannot be installed at this time, even though the tow hitch does not change."

This of probably only applies to the OEM one, don't know about 3rd party ones.

Attachments

• RF-21-01.pdf
    63.9 KB · Views: 196
Upvote 0
It looks like they only need to update the installation instructions, and the wiring harness is too short.

The OEM hitch requires cutting the bumper. To prevent the dealer from doing a hatchet job they need new instructions and probably a new cutting template.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I installed a Curt on my 2016 CX-5. Not too bad if you can support the hitch while you do it. I used milk crates and a ramp. I would get a Stealth hitch to install, but if it doesn't work, I don't want to pay the fees to return. I imagine the frame mounting holes are the same. Just the trim at the bottom of bumper that gets removed might be different. I really like the idea of it being hidden while not in use. I hate how the Curt sticks out on the 2016.

Upvote 0

I used my hydraulic jack.

Upvote 0
I'm still going back & forth between a one bike 1UP & a Kuat Sherpa rack.
FWIW, I went with the Kuat Sherpa 2.0 rack. Local bike shop price matched 20% off online price. Works great & looks good (IMO) on my GTR. Quick & easy to put on & off GTR.

Upvote 0
Well, the 2021 Stealth works. Two person job. Need to remove one small piece of plastic trim. Do like the idea of being invisible when bike rack not in use. Just didn’t like the black box hanging there like on my 2016. Very happy.

Upvote 0
Back