2021 CX-5 License Plate and Reverse LED Lights Upgrade

Hi, I'm trying to figure out how to replace the already LED lights with brighter bulbs for the license plate frame & reverse/backup lights. Can't find any bulb part numbers online for the 2021 year, only older models. Anyone do this upgrade from the stock LED's to brighter ones? Thanks!

You can’t replace them. They are integrated into the circuitry and are not standard bulbs.

Just have a look in your owner’s manual (either online or in the glove compartment):

“The exterior lights have either LEDs or normal bulbs.

LED type
  • Headlights/Daytime running lights
  • Daytime running lights/Parking lights (Type A)
  • Front side-marker lights (Type A)
  • Fog lights (Some Models)
  • Brake lights (Type A)
  • Taillights (Type A)
  • Reverse lights
  • High-mount brake light
  • Side turn signal lights
  • Rear side-marker lights (Type A)
  • License plate lights
The LED bulb cannot be replaced as a single unit because it is an integrated unit.

The LED bulb has to be replaced with the unit. We recommend an Authorized Mazda Dealer when the replacement is necessary.”

Last edited:
Great that they are LEDs but unfortunately seems like the whole housing will be replaced just for a bulb.

I wasnt aware but just checked and yes it seems its all in one package. 50$ per side for a bulb if it dies.. ouch

Well, here's to 50,000 hours or 10 years for the LEDs (avg., I am hoping). 🍺

Edit: Anyone know the trunk bulb part #. I hope to change that to LED or brighter bulb.

I used to upgrade from the stock LEDs to the brightest ones, but I haven't done it for a while. I personally no longer feel the need to invest in these lights. I no longer see a necessity to invest money in brighter bulbs for the license plate frame and reversing / backup lights. I better invest in lights that make the car more attractive—for example, led car interior lights. I bought it recently, and I am very satisfied. Due to these bulbs, my car's interior looks very aesthetic, and I can say that I will always invest in such lights in the future. In my opinion, it is a very good investment.

Last edited:
Back