2019 high mileage or $6k?

New member here. Looking at some CPO 2019 CX-9 GT’s, and have a choice between a 63k-mile car and one with 24k miles. The price difference is $6k (for the low mileage version). Based on purchase date for high-mileage version, it works out to about 23k miles per year. It was a leased vehicle. What would you do, all-else being equal?

Personally, I'd probably pay the premium for the lower mile car.

With the CPO, you'll get coverage up to 100K miles, right? It's 37K miles of coverage vs 77K.

Upvote 0
Personally, I'd probably pay the premium for the lower mile car.

With the CPO, you'll get coverage up to 100K miles, right? It's 37K miles of coverage vs 77K.
As I understand it, the CPO warranty is one year/12k from date of my purchase. The powertrain is warrantied for 100k. Yeah, it seems at the end of the day age/mileage is the most critical variable influencing cost of ownership. I think your advice is spot on. Thanks!

Upvote 0
I'm curious, what's purchase price of each?

For reference, my contracted, end of lease purchase for my 2018 CX9 GT AWD (36 month / 36K mile) was $24,775.05. It's worth a bit more than that now (has about 32K miles). If I had given the car back in August, I'm sure that the dealer would have turned around and listed it for $35K (making far more than they would on a new CX9).

For reference, my deal:

MSRP: $43,465
Negotiated lease contract purchase price: $39,500 (they would have gone lower if I had pushed)
Duration: 36 month
Miles: 12K per year
Residual Value: 57% ($24,775.05)
Money Factor: .00007 (this was competitive for 2018)

This yielded a payment of around 450 per month (without tax)

I ended up extending lease by 6 months (total of 42 months). I'll likely buy out at the end for around $22K.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
To me, 23k miles/year seems like a pump and dump. The previous owner probably knew they would go over miles and didn’t really care to maintain it that well. To give you a little more of my thoughts, my company is looking to lease me a midsize truck. They are expecting 25k+ miles per year and the only requirement is “keep it on the road.” I maintain my personal vehicles above what I think the average person does, but this truck would get oil changes at the longest interval and nothing else unless it results in a check engine light. As another data point, I have bought a salesman’s vehicle that I didn’t know was a salesman’s vehicle. I later received the service records and it had been kept together as cheaply as possible. If the CEL wasn’t on, it didn’t get fixed. About 30k miles/year.

Upvote 0
Ab
I'm curious, what's purchase price of each?

For reference, my contracted, end of lease purchase for my 2018 CX9 GT AWD (36 month / 36K mile) was $24,775.05. It's worth a bit more than that now (has about 32K miles). If I had given the car back in August, I'm sure that the dealer would have turned around and listed it for $35K (making far more than they would on a new CX9).

For reference, my deal:

MSRP: $43,465
Negotiated lease contract purchase price: $39,500 (they would have gone lower if I had pushed)
Duration: 36 month
Miles: 12K per year
Residual Value: 57% ($24,775.05)
Money Factor: .00007 (this was competitive for 2018)

This yielded a payment of around 450 per month (without tax)

I ended up extending lease by 6 months (total of 42 months). I'll likely buy out at the end for around $22K.
About 32k & 38k.
After we dug into the high mileage 2019 GT via autocheck, it turns out it had one accident reported (dealer tells us that it was minor, and maybe it was, but also said he didn’t consider the mileage very high). We pulled away from that.
We ended up buying a grey 2018 CX-9 GT with 40k miles for 32k out the door from a non-Mazda dealer of German persuasion (it was a trade in). It had clean carfax and autocheck report. Single owner, good per-year mileage, regular maintenance at proper intervals at Mazda dealers. Took it to an import auto shop and had them put it on racks for inspection. Dealer gave it a token 3mo/3k dealer warranty. So in the end, pretty happy with decision. Definitely a sellers market out there right now, though.

Upvote 0
"Definitely a sellers market out there right now, though."

It might be 2023 before we get back to normal. For example, Toyota is cutting production 150,000 just in November due to the lack of parts...but that's only 15% of their usual 1 million monthly world wide production. In any case, even after production is back to full speed ahead, the pent up demand will keep cars in short supply for a while.

Upvote 0
Back