2019 CX5 GTR Maximum tongue weight for towing?

Thanks, 185lbs sounds about right.

You would think it would be easy to search, I could not find anything specific about the US

From my Owner's Manual:

Maximum Loaded Trailer Weight is the highest possible weight of a fully loaded trailer the vehicle can tow. It assumes a vehicle with only mandatory options, no cargo (internal or external), a tongue load of 10*15% (conventional trailer) or king pin weight of 15*25% (fifth-wheel trailer), and driver only (150 lbs). Consult your dealership (or the RV and Trailer Towing Guide provided by your dealership) for more detailed information. Tongue Load or Fifth-Wheel King Pin Weight refers to the amount of the weight that a trailer pushes down on a trailer hitch.

I went out to my car & filing cabinet and pulled the manuals I received with it. I've also downloaded all the CX-5 guides that are available from the Mazda website. There's no Trailer Towing Guide. There's a Trailer Hitch User's Guide, but that speaks to the ball mount length/rise/drop, and has a harness wiring diagram. It refers you to the owner's manual for towing specs.

Here's more info from the manual for discussion purposes. This chart echoes the 10%-15% figure relative to total load. I cobbled it together from 2 pages:

Mazda%20Owners%20Manual%20Trailer%20Specs.jpg

Last edited:
Back