2018 2.5T Mazda6 Oil Consumption

I have a 2018 Mazda6 signature with about 52k miles. I'm starting to see increased oil consumption. It went from consuming about a quart every 5k miles to consuming a quart every 2k miles. Anyone else experiencing this? If so, what was the cause? Thanks.

I have a 2018 Mazda6 signature with about 52k miles. I'm starting to see increased oil consumption. It went from consuming about a quart every 5k miles to consuming a quart every 2k miles. Anyone else experiencing this? If so, what was the cause? Thanks.
Is it leaking or burning? Mazda 6 should have same engine as the CX-5. Check out the CX5 threads on oil burning/consumption, cracked cylinder heads, and head gasket problems. It could possibly be any one of these problems if the engines are exact and came from same line.

The Mazda6 Signature has the 2.5 turbo engine. You should still have powertrain warranty, I would suggest contacting your local dealer and maybe Mazda Corporate to get them to take a look at the issue you're reporting.

Newer models with the 2.5T engine had modified valve stem seals that could result in increased oil consumption, but your 2018 should not have the modified valve stems seals unless the engine was replaced with a new one.

Is it leaking or burning? Mazda 6 should have same engine as the CX-5. Check out the CX5 threads on oil burning/consumption, cracked cylinder heads, and head gasket problems. It could possibly be any one of these problems if the engines are exact and came from same line.
Thanks, I'll check out the threads. I don't see any leaks and there's no oil spots on the ground under the car.

2k/qt is quite high. Is your engine bay mod-free? Do you change your own oil? Do you idle a lot? Do you drive mainly low speed in the city?

2k/qt is quite high. Is your engine bay mod-free? Do you change your own oil? Do you idle a lot? Do you drive mainly low speed in the city?
No mods. Oil changes are a combination of myself and the dealer. The major service intervals are handled by the dealer and I do the easy ones. The car sees a mix of city and highway driving, and any idling is generally while stuck in traffic.

.... Oil changes are a combination of myself and the dealer. ....
When you do the oil changes, do you just refill with the amount specified in the manual, or do you check the level and adjust according to what the dipstick says?

And when the dealer does the oil change, do you check the level immediately after the change, or shortly thereafter?

I'm asking these questions because the refill amount of oil specfied in the manual does not even bring the level to half way on the dipstick. So depending on your answers, you might not be losing quite as much oil as you've posted.

And one other question is what viscosity of oil you're using.

When you do the oil changes, do you just refill with the amount specified in the manual, or do you check the level and adjust according to what the dipstick says?

And when the dealer does the oil change, do you check the level immediately after the change, or shortly thereafter?

I'm asking these questions because the refill amount of oil specfied in the manual does not even bring the level to half way on the dipstick. So depending on your answers, you might not be losing quite as much oil as you've posted.

This is a great set of questions. I never checked after the any of oil changes, mine or the dealer. I just added 5.1 quarts. I have heard the dealers don't fill it up, but have noticed they have been pretty good with my CX-9. I was checking that regularly because its a 2021, which has it's own special TSB. I checked the 6 after adding a quart and it's right at the top hole now. I took a picture and I'll keep checking. I can't find any obvious leaks and the coolant looks okay. Thanks all for your comments.

Good point. I think the delta is half a quart to bring it up to full assuming the filled amount was the standard 5.1qt. if he checked after 2k and he had to refill 1qt to bring to full mark, then that means he only consumed half quart.

.... I have heard the dealers don't fill it up, but have noticed they have been pretty good with my CX-9. I was checking that regularly because its a 2021, which has it's own special TSB.....
I believe most of the techs now always add oil to the 'book' amount for 2021 Turbos, given that it's such a well-known issue.

So going forward you'll want to check immediately after the oil change, in order to find the actual starting oil level, regardless if you change it or Mazda does.

Hopefully you already know this, but I'll mention it just in case you don't. Oil level is checked on all of these Skyactiv engines after waiting at least 5 minutes after shutting down the engine. I believe the consensus among DIYers here is that it doesn't matter if the oil is checked after 5 minutes, or cold the next day, because the level will be the same. Of course, if you're changing the oil yourself, you'll probably want to check it and add more (if necessary) at the same time the oil change is done, so that would be the 5+ minute wait after shutting down.

I believe most of the techs now always add oil to the 'book' amount for 2021 Turbos, given that it's such a well-known issue.

So going forward you'll want to check immediately after the oil change, in order to find the actual starting oil level, regardless if you change it or Mazda does.

Hopefully you already know this, but I'll mention it just in case you don't. Oil level is checked on all of these Skyactiv engines after waiting at least 5 minutes after shutting down the engine. I believe the consensus among DIYers here is that it doesn't matter if the oil is checked after 5 minutes, or cold the next day, because the level will be the same. Of course, if you're changing the oil yourself, you'll probably want to check it and add more (if necessary) at the same time the oil change is done, so that would be the 5+ minute wait after shutting down.
Thanks, definitely going to check immediately after an oil change. 40 years of changing my own oil and I seemed to have forgotten the lesson my father taught me to check the dipstick after you're done. I've seen the debate on checking warm vs. cold on several thread. I always checked cold in the past, but have been checking the Skyactiv motors warm about 15 minutes after shutdown.

Thanks, definitely going to check immediately after an oil change. 40 years of changing my own oil and I seemed to have forgotten the lesson my father taught me to check the dipstick after you're done....
You're certainly not alone on that, and it could even be possible that the majority of DIYers don't check the dipstick after refilling the oil. Far more certain is that VERY few owners check the level right after a shop changes their vehicle's oil. And I've read (and sometimes participated in) quite a few similar conversations as this in the past, so it's never a surprise to me at this point. But you're now on the right path going forward, so all's well that ends well.

A number of us here are always looking for as much reliable information as we can get, so in a few months we would be interested in knowing what your oil consumption update looks like.

You're certainly not alone on that, and it could even be possible that the majority of DIYers don't check the dipstick after refilling the oil. Far more certain is that VERY few owners check the level right after a shop changes their vehicle's oil. And I've read (and sometimes participated in) quite a few similar conversations as this in the past, so it's never a surprise to me at this point. But you're now on the right path going forward, so all's well that ends well.

A number of us here are always looking for as much reliable information as we can get, so in a few months we would be interested in knowing what your oil consumption update looks like.
Definitely will update the thread. I have three Mazdas and this forum has been invaluable.

Back