2017 Mazda CX5 - America's Best Crossover

If you own a 2016 or Older CX5 and were in the market now - would you buy a 17?

• I own an older CX5 and would buy a 17 or I own a 17 and am happy

Votes: 29 78.4%
  • Would not buy a CX5 because need different segment car

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Would not buy a CX5, would buy a competitor

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • I own a 17 and would not rebuy if I had to buy today

Votes: 1 2.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kaps

Contributor
:
CX-5 Touring 2016.5
Alex, one of the best reviewers gives his verdict on the CX5, calling it America's best crossover (Across all tiers).

I'm voting "Other": I do not own a CX-5 but will buy a 2017...

...as soon as the Diesel verision is out.

No selection for : Own a 2016 and prior, and am happier with that than I would be with the 2017 model...

I own a 16 but would buy a 17 because LEDs across the trims and noise insulation which will cost 3000 USD on others. Good driving car, quiet and LEDs might force me to consider Sport instead of Touring.

Other: I would look to buy a pre-2017 CX-5. The 2017 does not appeal to me at all from a stylistic perspective.

No selection for : Own a 2016 and prior, and am happier with that than I would be with the 2017 model...

This is 17s Parade. So your thoughts on 17. Say for example your car is eaten by a Chewbacca and you film it and sell video for 100k USD. What would you buy then (no used CPO)

Own a '14 that has far exceeded my expectations will very likely replace with another though I'd like one of the forthcoming compression ignition options. The '14 still looks and feels new @70k so no need to be an early adopter- quite happy still. If that need arose now or before new powertrain(s) were available I'm with CD I'd be sniffing out deals on a gen1 car (new or lightly used)- so right here, right now..no I'd replace with more of the same.

Last edited:
Alex, one of the best reviewers gives his verdict on the CX5, calling it America's best crossover (Across all tiers).

I'm chomping at the bit to get my husband over to our local dealer for his test drive! (I liked mine a lot) Been looking for a replacement car for myself for a long time but always came up empty (most recently the seriously underpowered 2017 Buick Encore AWD Premium (just 138 HP!) The 2017 CX-5 AWD Premium has great power, nice exterior styling & almost luxurious interior! Who know Mazda? Certainly not me until I ran out of brand options & discovered this gem earlier this week & THAT is saying a lot! Have to figure out cash, lease, finance as we can do any of those. Wondering when 2018 is coming out as in no rush...

Own a 2015, and would buy a 2017, but didn't, so would I?

I came really close but the dealer didn't respond to email, it bought me some time, and now I'm either gonna get a sedan or wait for the diesel. The diesel, or HCCI, would really improve this car in my opinion so waiting is pretty easy.

Its not on your list, But I own a 2013 CX-5 and would not buy a 2017. For one thing I would be getting worse gas mileage. And the number one reason is there is no manual transmission offered in the 2017.

I love my 16 and have no intentions of trading, but if something happened to my 16 GT I'd buy a 17

This is 17s Parade. So your thoughts on 17. Say for example your car is eaten by a Chewbacca and you film it and sell video for 100k USD. What would you buy then (no used CPO)

I cannot tell a lie, it would not be a 2017 Mazda in your scenario.

The poll question is not comparison. Its asking if you were in the market now.. would you get this or comparable vehicle. Against 2017.. does cx5 hold its own or you will get an F-PACE, RAV4 etc.

Ok, with that clarification, my answer would be "No".

It's not that the 2017 is a bad car, but it's just not for me and I won't be buying any CX-5 that looks like that. 2017 totally killed every stylistic design I liked about my 2014 for the sake of trying to move up-stream and I don't like it at all on that front. Although I've seen some sharp 2017 pictures on this forum, everytime I've seen one in real life I thought it to be incredibly ugly the more and more I see them. At first thought it was ok-ish, not great, but the more I see them the more they look like everything else to me.

So if I had to buy a 2017, no CPO, not even sure I'd buy a CUV this year. At that point probably looking at a different segment. 2017 doesn't scratch what my 2014 does. Thus if I had 100k due to a video of Chewbacca eating my 2014, I'd probably get a Jeep, a sports car/convertible of some sort, and then a daily driver of some sort.

Last edited:

Dude: "a Chewbacca"- show a little respect faq sake!!

Last edited:

Thanks for posting the review, I hadn't seen that one yet. I like the part at the end where he says it's got the interior of an Acura or Lexus but at a price of a Nissan Rogue. lol.

Ok, with that clarification, my answer would be "No".

It's not that the 2017 is a bad car, but it's just not for me and I won't be buying any CX-5 that looks like that. 2017 totally killed every stylistic design I liked about my 2014 for the sake of trying to move up-stream and I don't like it at all on that front. Although I've seen some sharp 2017 pictures on this forum, everytime I've seen one in real life I thought it to be incredibly ugly the more and more I see them. At first thought it was ok-ish, not great, but the more I see them the more they look like everything else to me.

Yeah, the styling is hit or miss for some, but it really is the only thing you could knock and I would understand not buying it for that because that is how I am with the CRV, which is a great vehicle otherwise, except for the looks and the CVT because I tow and don't trust it.

However, I owned a '14 as well, and the '17 is superior in every other way and I think the exterior looks better as well, but that's just my opinion. The interior comparison is not really a comparison at all between the two. Everything else is very similar to my '14, just better or upgraded and with a few extras thrown in all for about the same price.

Back