2017 CX-9 Check Engine Light Solution

Have a 2017 CX9 GT, with only 30,000 miles on it. Two weeks ago our check engine light came on. Car ran fine. I checked the gas cap, it was tight. I filled up the tank with fuel, light stayed on. Then over the next week it went on and off. It would go off for about 3 miles then come back on. I am over our warranty since the car is almost 4 years old. So, I took it to a local shop and had them scan it. Came up EGR valve. The guy cleared the code and I gave him a $20. I figured that if the light came back it probably was a bad EGR valve, as my wife mainly drives short runs around town.

It stayed off for about a week, and after 150 miles it came back on (probably after we completed a drive cycle). I then looked up in the manual a realized that in California we have an extended emissions warranty to 7 years/70,000.

I made an appointment with my local dealer, Tuttle Click Mazda, and took it in. They found the same P0401 code. There is a tech service bulletin to reprogram the PCM with a new download. A quick fix, out in 2 hours. Thanks to the dealer and software updgrade.

Problem and resolution in one post! Happy to hear you got it fixed!

Back