2017 CX-5 Trailer hitch

:
CX-5 Touring
Has anyone purchased and installed a trailer hitch on a 2017 CX-5? Is it a simple DIY project, or is it better to have the dealership install it? Any recommendations on a good third party hitch? I don't need the wiring, i'll only be using it to attach a bike rack.

Dropping rear exhaust and messing around with some of the lower bumper cladding is necessary.

Pretty simple in the fact that nothing else needs removed, but not really "easy" unless you're a shade-tree mechanic at a minimum. The exhaust hangers can be a battle if you aren't familiar with them, and you want the exhaust supported while it's off the hangars so it doesn't stress the joints too much.

While it is 1 person DIY able on the driveway (as I did it) it's a struggle and a second set of hands to help get it up and into place at a minimum would make things significantly easier. I used a floor jack in place of an extra set of hands and will be the first admit it was a bit of a balancing act to get it into place.

Last edited:
I just did it a couple weeks ago with the Draw-tite - it was easy. I did as a one person job with a rolling jack to help. It just depends what you are comfortable with. 2 people may be easier, but i hate worrying about the help scratching something.

Ive had uhaul install two hitches for me, one with lights on a CX 5 and one without lights on a CRV. Id recommend getting the lights installed. Without lights, you cant do much more than mount a bike rack. I just pulled a trailer yesterday. Trust me, get the lights.

Similar experience as Alpha, did just by myself ˜5 weeks ago. If you can get someone to assist, should be a ˜45 mins project. Just follow the etrailer.com instructions, there's one little piece of plastic under the CX-5 bumper that you don't put back on, as would hit the hitch.

In my case installed the hitch only, as intended for a bike rack not towing. Can't speak about wire harness complexity if you intend to do it. Good luck!

I just got the new factory wiring harness. I plan to install it in the next few days. The most complex part appears to be removing all the interior trim in the back.

But because I am the way I am I spent a few hours yesterday making a custom bracket for the 4 flat plug to attach to next to the receiver - the after market hitches don't have this bracket, and didn't want to screw one into the bumper.

I expect the wiring harness install to take a few hours; just because I am methodical, and want to take my time.

We just got the OEM trailer hitch and wiring harness installed by the dealer this week for just over $600 CAD on our 2017. Considering the cost of the parts, it was an amount I was happy to pay to keep me from spending half a weekend day on my back under the car. I can't comment on the level of difficulty unfortunately.

We just got the OEM trailer hitch and wiring harness installed by the dealer this week for just over $600 CAD on our 2017. Considering the cost of the parts, it was an amount I was happy to pay to keep me from spending half a weekend day on my back under the car. I can't comment on the level of difficulty unfortunately.

Draw-tite hitch and factory harness are less then $200 total. But I enjoy these kinds of projects, so besides saving $400, I have fun too.

I have a 2015 Cx5 and it is a 1 hour job , it needs at least 2 people and make sure you jack the 2 back tires as high as possible and please secure the vehicle very well using jack stands in both sides , it is not difficult

I have a 2015 Cx5 and it is a 1 hour job , it needs at least 2 people and make sure you jack the 2 back tires as high as possible and please secure the vehicle very well using jack stands in both sides , it is not difficult

The 2017 was a lot easier - i did it laying on creeper, no raising the vehicle required.

I installed the Draw Tite 76138 Class III hitch on my 2018 CX-5 this afternoon. Took me about an hour to get the job done. I drove the rear wheels up on my RV leveling blocks so that gave me about 3 more inches of room to work with under the car. I'm pretty sure I could of completed the install with the car just sitting on the garage floor. Since it was just me doing the work, I used a floor jack to help hold up the hitch while bolting it in. The whole process was just like the video showed on etrailer. This weekend I hope to install the Mazda wiring harness.

I installed the Draw Tite 76138 Class III hitch on my 2018 CX-5 this afternoon. Took me about an hour to get the job done. I drove the rear wheels up on my RV leveling blocks so that gave me about 3 more inches of room to work with under the car. I'm pretty sure I could of completed the install with the car just sitting on the garage floor. Since it was just me doing the work, I used a floor jack to help hold up the hitch while bolting it in. The whole process was just like the video showed on etrailer. This weekend I hope to install the Mazda wiring harness.

I did mine the same way, but on the floor. yes, very easy. The harness is easy too. the only thing to watch for is there are 2 pink wires in the harness - there is a picture showing which one to tap into (not sure it matters) Otherwise it was not hard. I made a custom bracket to hold the 4 wire plug - 16 gauge metal and attacked it to the drawtite hitch with a hose clamp - similar to how a generic etrailer bracket works. HItch.jpg
attachment.php

Which wiring harness did you get?

On the non-Mazda harnesses, you can keep the trailer wiring connection hidden in the spare tire area and remove it only when towing. It would sit flat and the hatch door would close without any issues. That's how my 2016 CX5 had it. The wiring remained hidden and was only remove & placed over the hatch and closed when needed/towing.

Which wiring harness did you get?

On the non-Mazda harnesses, you can keep the trailer wiring connection hidden in the spare tire area and remove it only when towing. It would sit flat and the hatch door would close without any issues. That's how my 2016 CX5 had it. The wiring remained hidden and was only remove & placed over the hatch and closed when needed/towing.

You could do that with oem harness if you wanted, but you may have to slip off the corrugated tube. I was worried about damaging the wire or seals on the tighter ‘17

You could do that with oem harness if you wanted, but you may have to slip off the corrugated tube. I was worried about damaging the wire or seals on the tighter ‘17

Did you have to drill a hole in the vehicle to run the wiring?

Did you have to drill a hole in the vehicle to run the wiring?

No, there is a rubber plug in drivers side wiring harness area and it drops through there. The OEM kit comes with the 4 wires without the plastic male connector on one end. You pass them through the hole where the rubber plugs was, slip the grommet on, then pop the 4 wires into the plastic plug (metal connectors already on wires) then you just push that plastic male plug into the female plug on the module.

The biggest warning in the docs is to keep the wire away from the muffler (5cm min) I was able to route my wire on the rear side of the hitch - between the bumper and the hitch. The OEM hitch is designed differently. It tucks up higher and it looks like they had to pick a different wiring path.

No, there is a rubber plug in drivers side wiring harness area and it drops through there. The OEM kit comes with the 4 wires without the plastic male connector on one end. You pass them through the hole where the rubber plugs was, slip the grommet on, then pop the 4 wires into the plastic plug (metal connectors already on wires) then you just push that plastic male plug into the female plug on the module.

The biggest warning in the docs is to keep the wire away from the muffler (5cm min) I was able to route my wire on the rear side of the hitch - between the bumper and the hitch. The OEM hitch is designed differently. It tucks up higher and it looks like they had to pick a different wiring path.

So you don't have to splice any wires or remove any insulation? Do you have the part number or picture of the wiring kit?

Back