2017 CX-5 Soul Red Crystal Metallic

Curious if the Machine Grey folks have issues?

1yr+ MG owner here and no issues at all, fwiw. However, I did get Xpel film applied to the entire front end almost immediately. This film has saved me at least 1 rock chip, and a potential chip caused by me by hitting the fender with the end of a shopvac hose. And that mark has actually 'healed' and I can no longer even see it.

No chips or marks anywhere else on the vehicle (knock on wood).

I would also recommend getting a clear coat put on the car - no matter what the color.

^^^What he said^^​

...assuming you mean film.

I hear varying opinions as to whether or not the ceramic/teflon coatings afford chip-protection.

Yeah, but I might actually go for the white instead. White seems to be the safest option for now

I saw a few pics here of folks pimpin' they ride, and the white is starting to grow on me. Or the silver, as others have said. The Mazda silver is nicer (less plain) than most others.

Driving around, I look at red SUVs, and the more I look the less I am obsessed with having it.

I'm beginning to feel like one of those people who views cup holder design as a make-or-break issue.

Seems there is a lot less issues with machine grey. From memory I have read a few

Sonic silver isn't giving any issues. I've got 18,000km's on mine is less than 7 months, including a 5500km road trip from Newfoundland to New York. I've only got 1 chip on the hood and it was there before my road trip.

The red, and the brown-ish colour is having issues that I know of, but the red more so than anything else. We have some Red CX-5's on the lot that have rock chips before they are even sold and see a road. I assume it's from windy conditions and parking lot dirt/dust hitting them.

I've got the white and it doesn't seem to be as bad as I've heard for the red but still some smallish chips, mainly in the area between the headlights and fogs, and one or two I noticed on the front passenger side door when I washed it yesterday (not sure how those got there). Hood and everywhere else is pristine. Too bad Mazda didn't pull a Rolls-Royce and do 20+ layers of paint. Minus the $$$ charge.

Same here. I have a good price at a local dealer, and have spoken with a detailing guy across the street from them to immediately install film and possibly protective coating. But I hesitate....which is fine. It's not as though we're buying a pair of shoes.

Ended up picking up a Red Touring today. The dealer had another that was one year old with 40K miles and it had about 20-30 chips on the hood (was mainly used for commute for 50-100 miles per day - so I guess not very surprising). I'll see if I can afford a protection film. Anyway, the Red is soooooo beautiful I couldn't really pick any other color, even being aware of this issue!

Ended up picking up a Red Touring today. The dealer had another that was one year old with 40K miles and it had about 20-30 chips on the hood (was mainly used for commute for 50-100 miles per day - so I guess not very surprising). I'll see if I can afford a protection film. Anyway, the Red is soooooo beautiful I couldn't really pick any other color, even being aware of this issue!
Good luck with that!(confused)

I completely understand.

I hope it works out for you...and for me as well.

Is this really an issue or is it just amplified here?

Yes I ave chips but I can count them on both hands.

Is this really an issue or is it just amplified here?

Yes I ave chips but I can count them on both hands.

Who knows since there's no real data, but even my body shop said they've already done three repaints on 2018 Soul Red Crystal Metallic. I notice you've got a 2017, so perhaps you're in the clear.

Anyway, we picked ours up today after a bit over 2 weeks with the shop. They repainted the hood, pillars, and side mirrors along with some blending on adjacent areas. Chips were gone and I didn't notice any obviously color difference between sections. I'll take a closer look in coming days, but for now I'm satisfied. Interesting note on the copy of the work order: "Paint is delaminating on hood..." So clearly some issue with one of the coats separating.

Do y'all think Mazda would offer free re-painting or something like that if it's a big enough issue? My car isn't that bad, just a few nicks, but from what others have said about theirs I'd think having crappy paint like that would hurt Mazda's reputation.

Yes but since it doesn't appear to be or not many owners have complained, they won't be offering that

Back