2017 CX-5 Rear Window weatherstrip on the bottom - not sealed to window

AreDee

Contributor
:
2016 CX-9 Grand Touring Sonic Silver 2017 CX-5 GT Eternal Blue
I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this. I'm a faithful bucket washer (wash when it's dirty) using Optimum No Rinse and Opti-seal as a drying agent when washing our CX-5 (2400 miles). I use a minimum amount of water on the entire vehicle when washing the car - no more than 2 gallons. I've never washed this vehicle with a hose or in a car wash. I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed that their rear windshield lower weatherstrip (the one beneath the rear wiper) isn't watertight? Mine will allow any moisture to roll down the window and flow beneath it. It will take me a while to draw the moisture out of the crevice with my microfiber drying towel. It doesn't appear normal to me that the weatherstripping isn't sealed to the glass, but I may be wrong. Has anyone else noticed this? I'm interested to find out if this is 'normal' or not.

If I washed my car in a traditional fashion, I can't imagine how much moisture would seep into the panel beneath the window. I have not seen this with my 2016 CX-9 - the design is similar to the 2017 CX-5, but not identical. Please share your experience - I'd like to know if I need to get it back to the dealership. I don't want moisture to be getting into a place where it shouldn't due to the rusting risk.

I don't have a 2017, but from what you're describing it sounds like the "weatherstrip" has been added as an aero aid in order to smooth airflow over that part of the hatch. The gen I cars have an open gap at the bottom of the rear window which, when I wash mine, I blow the water out of with a can of compressed air. Otherwise, the remaining water drips down the hatch when I move the car. In either case, water cannot migrate to the inside of the hatch because the glass is bonded to the perimeter of the window frame with sealant. So your only concern might be water that collects behind the non-bonded rubber strip and remaining there for a time after you wash the car. BTW, a picture helps in this type of discussion.

Picture coming when my wife gets back with the car....

The way they were...

Attachments

• gap.JPG
    gap.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 263
Here is the location of the weatherstrip that allows moisture beneath itself.
6514fbd4de1177952b9fd5759b519f76.jpg

Like I said, they either did it for aero (same reason they now have outer (3rd) door seals) or to give the rear a more finished "premium" look. The old design (see my pic above) could be perceived as having a bit of an unfinished look. I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks for posting, paris. Although he didn't point out the area of concern in particular I can see that this does/will cover a seam that may have one time caused some wind noise. I just wish moisture wouldn't seep beneath it.

Back