2016 Info System Shutting Down- How to Turn the Radio Off

:
MAZDA CX-5 Touring
Hey guys, I got a 2016 Touring model and I really like it.
I also have the GPS (very nice) and I think is great, no issues.

But I noticed that the screen have gone black and then it had reset itself. I noticed it at least three times in the past three weeks or so, anyone have experienced this?

One time I had the GPS on and the screen went black. But I was still able to see the Home icon on top and nothing else worked. I restarted the car with no luck, but it worked later when the car was off for about 20 minutes. It looked like it was resetting itself.

Also, does anyone knows how to shut the radio off? It seems that the only thing I can do is mute it.
When I used the remote starter, the radio goes on all the time and it is annoying.

Anyhow, I'll appreciate your comments so thanks in advance.

i have a 2016 GT w/Tech and something similar has happened to me. when i turn on the car, the nav will not load the map and even though i can scroll the home menu, i cannot click on "music" or "nav" (nothing happens). it is like it is stuck but the screen is not frozen. my bluetooth audio streaming will not work during this time. when i turn off the car, wait a few minutes, then turn it on, it seems to work okay. so when i start up the car, i wait to see if the nav loads up....once i see it, i know i'm fine. This has happened a total of 3 times since i bought the car (now into my 3rd week with it). i hope it is not a persistent issue....it is quite annoying.

I assume silverboy's Touring has Touring Tech Package with factory installed GPS. Unfortunately it's the dealer time for both of you although you may need to pray that they know how to fix it. Ask them to replace the whole infotainment system unit if possible. Those complicated electronics sometimes are hard to fix. The best is they don't have any problems in the beginning.

I'm glad that I haven't seen this issue, but I'm very curious about it. The Mazda Connect website says this in their FAQ section:

WHY DOES MY SCREEN GO BLANK WHEN I SELECT NAVIGATION?
Please check to make sure that you didn't accidentally slide the tiny locking switch on the side of your SD card into the locked (downward) position. Make sure it is in the upward position and then reinsert it into the SD card slot in the vehicle.

This doesn't sound like either of your situations, but I wonder if a flakey SD card could cause such a problem.

oh i forgot to mention if i remove the sd card, wait a few seconds, and put it back in, that USUALLY fixes the NAV, but it does not get the bluetooth on the audiostreaming to reconnect.

I assume silverboy's Touring has Touring Tech Package with factory installed GPS. Unfortunately it's the dealer time for both of you although you may need to pray that they know how to fix it. Ask them to replace the whole infotainment system unit if possible. Those complicated electronics sometimes are hard to fix. The best is they don't have any problems in the beginning.

Good observation, however, I have the Touring model, I just added the SD card for the GPS.
I remember that the last time I had the issue, I was running the car and the radio was on, when I went to use the GPS, the system went black and then after few seconds the system restarted. Does it use my phone to do updates?

And guys, let me ask again does anyone knows how to shut the radio off? It seems that the only thing I can do is mute it.
When I used the remote starter or when I start the car, the radio goes on all the time and it is annoying.

Good observation, however, I have the Touring model, I just added the SD card for the GPS.
I remember that the last time I had the issue, I was running the car and the radio was on, when I went to use the GPS, the system went black and then after few seconds the system restarted. Does it use my phone to do updates?
And guys, let me ask again does anyone knows how to shut the radio off? It seems that the only thing I can do is mute it.
When I used the remote starter or when I start the car, the radio goes on all the time and it is annoying.
Where did you get your navigation system SD card? If you got it from Mazda dealer, then you should get warranty service from them. As for how to turn off the radio after you started the engine, try to select an empty audio source and stay there that should do it.

Can't find an "off" button either. I use mute all the time and when I start it's still muted. Wonder why yours would unmute itself....

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk 2

...One time I had the GPS on and the screen went black. But I was still able to see the Home icon on top and nothing else worked. I restarted the car with no luck, but it worked later when the car was off for about 20 minutes. It looked like it was resetting itself..
Just happened to me when I stopped for gas. Didn't want to pull over and shut off the car, so simply popped the SD card out, counted to three, pushed it back in, and the Nav came back on...

There is now a version 55 available for the 2016 headunit. If you havent upgraded your car likely has version 51. Requires a dealer visit to update.

There is now a version 55 available for the 2016 headunit. If you havent upgraded your car likely has version 51. Requires a dealer visit to update.

what does this firmware (version 55) fix? i would like to see a list of the fixes.

From another forum, someone who has a friend working at Mazda posted these fixes for v55:

Navigation or other screen freezes or reboots.
Some menu of music source selection is greyed out.
Using the call button on the cell phone/mobile to make a call, the call sound is short.
Navigation goes to a black screen.
Vehicle current position is not accurate enough.
System does not recognize USB/SD card.
Favourites disappear.

Back