2016 CX-9 Windshield Fluid Warning Light

mazdacx9-321

:
2016 cx-9 signature
I have a 2016 CX-9 Signature. I was driving yesterday in weather where I needed the windshield fluid. Without warning I ran out. I have never had a car that did not have an indicator light warning me that the fluid was low. Luckily I was able to find a gas station and fill it back up. I looked in the manual and it says that indeed, there is an indicator light. Has anybody had this warning light actually go off or does this warning light not exist. I find it hard to believe that this car has the technology to gently vibrate and guide me back to the center of the road when I veer, but it doesn't warn me when the windshield fluid is running low.

I have a 2016 CX-9 Signature. I was driving yesterday in weather where I needed the windshield fluid. Without warning I ran out. I have never had a car that did not have an indicator light warning me that the fluid was low. Luckily I was able to find a gas station and fill it back up. I looked in the manual and it says that indeed, there is an indicator light. Has anybody had this warning light actually go off or does this warning light not exist. I find it hard to believe that this car has the technology to gently vibrate and guide me back to the center of the road when I veer, but it doesn't warn me when the windshield fluid is running low.

Page 7-41 of the owners manual says there is a low washer fluid light indicator.

Must have been a malfunction....

Page 7-41 of the owners manual says there is a low washer fluid light indicator.

I saw that. It also has a * next to and says some models. I assume it includes the Signature, but it must not be in some models. I am wondering if any cx-9 owners have actually experienced the light going off indicating low fluid. If I did not have an exit on the highway nearby I would have been in a for a long trip. When I bring my car in for my 1st oil change I will have them look at it.

I have the same issue. No fluid for windshield by surprise. I purchased a new galon at night and will fill the container tomorrow morning. But no warning at all!

Enviado desde mi Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge.

I have reviewed this further and to my complete disbelief, My 2016 CX-9 Signature does not have a warning light when you run low on washer fluid. On start up, all of the warning lights light up and there is no warning light for low washer fluid. I then did a google search and there are other Mazda models where people are complaining of the same thing.

It is one thing to skimp on some convenience items, but if you live in cities with snow and salt on the roads, windshield fluid is not a convenience, it is a necessary safety feature. Running out without warning on the highway in the middle of winter could create an unnecessary hazard. To neglect putting this on a car that stickers for $46,000 is indefensible. I have set up a reminder on my iphone to top the tank off every three weeks just to be safe. And the tank does not even take the whole gallon.

This was a bad call by Mazda.

the canadian version will have this... you might be able to swap the tank which will include the sensors... the wiring might exist

I have reviewed this further and to my complete disbelief, My 2016 CX-9 Signature does not have a warning light when you run low on washer fluid. On start up, all of the warning lights light up and there is no warning light for low washer fluid. I then did a google search and there are other Mazda models where people are complaining of the same thing.

It is one thing to skimp on some convenience items, but if you live in cities with snow and salt on the roads, windshield fluid is not a convenience, it is a necessary safety feature. Running out without warning on the highway in the middle of winter could create an unnecessary hazard. To neglect putting this on a car that stickers for $46,000 is indefensible. I have set up a reminder on my iphone to top the tank off every three weeks just to be safe. And the tank does not even take the whole gallon.

This was a bad call by Mazda.

So are you saying the manual is wrong?

So are you saying the manual is wrong?

There is an "*" in the manual that references the low washer fluid indicator. When you look at the bottom next to "*" it says "some models". That means it is available in some models, but not others. I have the top of the line model of the CX-9 and it is not there. It appears that you have a CX-9 signature like I do. I can only assume that American CX-9s don't have them. I base this on the following. 1) I ran out of fluid and the indicator did not go off. 2) the same thing happened to cubanomx in his post above. 3) most importantly, I took a photo of my dash when it started up and there is no light for the symbol indicating lower washer fluid. Please go to your car and press the ignition button without your foot on the brake. All the warning lights come on and let us know if you see the warning light for low windshield fluid. Nothing could make me happier than if I am mistaken. Unfortunately I am pretty sure I am correct.

There is an "*" in the manual that references the low washer fluid indicator. When you look at the bottom next to "*" it says "some models". That means it is available in some models, but not others. I have the top of the line model of the CX-9 and it is not there. It appears that you have a CX-9 signature like I do. I can only assume that American CX-9s don't have them. I base this on the following. 1) I ran out of fluid and the indicator did not go off. 2) the same thing happened to cubanomx in his post above. 3) most importantly, I took a photo of my dash when it started up and there is no light for the symbol indicating lower washer fluid. Please go to your car and press the ignition button without your foot on the brake. All the warning lights come on and let us know if you see the warning light for low windshield fluid. Nothing could make me happier than if I am mistaken. Unfortunately I am pretty sure I am correct.

Looks like you're correct. There are a few "blank" spaces where there could be the indicator, but who knows. Perhaps it's not hooked up.

Attachments

• IMG_8219.JPG
    IMG_8219.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 840
my USA spec 2013 CX-9 doesn't have the windshield fluid indicator either (I believe Canada CX-9's have them), very annoying, first time I found out about it was on a snowy day and trying to get road salt and dirt off the windshield, that was fun day, had to stop at a gas station and pay their jacked up price.

the way I tell it's running low is if the rear wipers don't spray, that usually goes out first before the front and indicates there's maybe just a liter left of blue juice in the tank.

very surprising Mazda carried that shortfall over to the new CX-9......

Last edited:
Perhaps Mazda expects those of us with Signature models, are "Kept" people who have other people to take care and service the cars for us...

Just thinking outside the cabin..... ;-)

my USA spec 2013 CX-9 doesn't have the windshield fluid indicator either (I believe Canada CX-9's have them), very annoying, first time I found out about it was on a snowy day and trying to get road salt and dirt off the windshield, that was fun day, had to stop at a gas station and pay their jacked up price.

the way I tell it's running low is if the rear wipers don't spray, that usually goes out first before the front and indicates there's maybe just a liter left of blue juice in the tank.

very surprising Mazda carried that shortfall over to the new CX-9......

My old Volvo S40 had sensors and indicators for everything. And alerts show in the display with text, very clear. I remember some of them:

- electric issue. error 144. Please contact a Volvo shop (something similar). I drive 3 days with this message!. At the end, the alternator was not charging the battery because the car is too low and we hit a high speed bump and damage a belt
- air filter need change. error 162: we need to replace the air conditioning air filter.
- audio system error 120. please check fiber cables to subwoofer: I deliver the car to the shop and they replace a fiber who connect the audio subwoofer

and all kind of messages regarding fluids of all kind

I miss that.

the canadian version will have this... you might be able to swap the tank which will include the sensors... the wiring might exist

I test drove a GT trim today for overnight and noticed same thing...no washer fluid warning light anywhere on the dash (Canadian version)

Has anyone checked that if the Low Fluid Washer Level indicator is displayed in the Multi-Information Display, instead of a usual light-up LED? Perhaps it's in the Service Section of the Info screen??

It may be an inconvenience but I would just carry a gallon in the back at least during winter.

I was looking in Google for this exact issue. I have a CX-9 2017 GT and there is no warning at all. Today I ran out of the windshield fluid for the first time. I thought it was a malfunction since my previous Mazda 6 has the warning message but no, the high-end CX-9 2017 GT does not have the sensor. Incredible.

Hm, no mention of a washer fluid warning in the manual (Canadian Signature here). What an odd corner to cut, Mazda. All it says in the manual is that "when refuelling, check brake fluid, engine coolant, engine oil, and washer fluid". I suppose that if you follow that, you should be fine, but the warning should still be there.

Hm, no mention of a washer fluid warning in the manual (Canadian Signature here). What an odd corner to cut, Mazda. All it says in the manual is that "when refuelling, check brake fluid, engine coolant, engine oil, and washer fluid". I suppose that if you follow that, you should be fine, but the warning should still be there.

Yeah, my previous Mazda 6 GT 2014 has the warning and that is odd since both uses the same SkyActive platform. One thing for sure is that in the Mazda 6 the low washer fluid warning was really annoying, it was constantly appearing even whe you dismiss the message. But form that point to not having any warning at all is kind of a cheap move from Mazda when the CX-9 its supposed to be the high-end model. In my case (US Spec), my manual mention the warning but with an asterik (* Some models).

It seems to have been a cruel joke by Mazda. From what I can tell from research, the 2nd gen CX-9 in North America does not have a Low Washer Fluid warning light/message. This is the biggest joke of a missing option I've ever seen/heard of on a modern day car. I can't remember the last time I sat in or drove a car that did not warn you when the washer fluid was low. Perhaps my first car (1988 Volvo 240)?

Latest posts

Back