2016 CX-9 Transmission filler plug location?

:
CX-9 CX-5 MSM
I am changing the fluid and filter on my 2016 CX-9 sig. Where is the filler bolt? Do I use the dip stick hole?

Gladu, please tell us about changing the transmission filter inside the transmission sump. What did you see in the filter mesh when you got there?

Can someone point me to the transmission dip stick? I can't find one (Is there really one?), and the books says nothing. (Years ago I was working on a pump with its own lube oil sump, and the book mentioned the bayonet gauge. Huh? That's a two-bit word for a dip stick.)

I like Red Line oil products a lot, especially their gear oils, and they recommend their 75W-85 gear oil for our rear differential. I'd use a synthetic lube especially for frigid winters or blistering summers.

Upvote 0
Gladu, please tell us about changing the transmission filter inside the transmission sump. What did you see in the filter mesh when you got there?

Can someone point me to the transmission dip stick? I can't find one (Is there really one?), and the books says nothing. (Years ago I was working on a pump with its own lube oil sump, and the book mentioned the bayonet gauge. Huh? That's a two-bit word for a dip stick.)

I like Red Line oil products a lot, especially their gear oils, and they recommend their 75W-85 gear oil for our rear differential. I'd use a synthetic lube especially for frigid winters or blistering summers.
PTguy, the filter looked pretty grimmy, the fluid was somewhat dark. the magnet in the tray had about 1/8" of buildup on it, but no chunks of metal. the dip stick is on top of the transmission on the forward side(gray plastic thing with a handle). the pan is a pain to get off, as it is glued on with RTV. I had to take a putty knife, and very carefully hammer it across the seam to knock the pan off. I used Amsoil ATF instead of the imazda branded ATF. for the diff, and transaxle Amsoil recommended that I use the factory Hypoid Gear oil.

Upvote 0
Hypoid gears are where the pinion is higher or lower than the axles; they don't share the same centerline plane. There is a lot of sliding on the gear tooth surfaces requiring a certain additive package. Amsoil differential gear oils are suitable for hypoid gears, but they don't have a 75W-85, if indeed that's what's needed. I'd be leery about mixing part universal ATF and part specific ATF--a full flush is different. You'll likely be fine, though. While I don't believe much of Amsoil's marketing, I think they do make top products.

Upvote 0
Hypoid gears are where the pinion is higher or lower than the axles; they don't share the same centerline plane. There is a lot of sliding on the gear tooth surfaces requiring a certain additive package. Amsoil differential gear oils are suitable for hypoid gears, but they don't have a 75W-85, if indeed that's what's needed. I'd be leery about mixing part universal ATF and part specific ATF--a full flush is different. You'll likely be fine, though. While I don't believe much of Amsoil's marketing, I think they do make top products.
Driving it for a few days with the new fluid, it does seem to shift smoother.

Upvote 0
Back