2016 CX-9 GT AWD Next set of replacement tires?

:
Mazda CX-9 GT
I am at 50500 miles on my OEM Falken Ziex. I have been reading up about replacement tires for Gen2 CX-9. First thing come to mind if mostly everyone is replacing the tires at around 40k miles. Am I the only one who has far over utilized mine at 50500 miles? I have been told about 3 months ago that I could probably get around 2-3k miles more. I live in NJ. Granted, the car isn't driving much due to my WFH during the current pandemic, but irrespective of that should I bite the bullet and change these now, or wait till the next winter season is upon us and change it then?

Curious about what was the tread life warranty on OEM Falken Ziex, anyone know?

Another thing, I have read may posts about Bridgestones, Michelins and Continentals. So far I learned that Bridgestone Ecopia isn't one of the best one (even tirerack doesn't have good ratings). So, I am considering Bridgestone Dueler Alanza Plus, or Michelin Premier LTX or Defender LTX, and lastly Vredestein Quatrac Pro - in that order.

To my surprise no one is talking about Vredestein! Has any one got Vredenstein and your thoughts on it?

Tread life is highly variable. It depends on the driver's driving habits, the road layout--lots of corners, etc., usual speeds, careful attention to inflation pressure, and even the abrasiveness of the aggregate used in the road pavement.

I don't think any original equipment tires come with a tread life warranty. That is an extra cost that is a marketing tool--not needed when a new car is bought.

So, what do you want in a tire? Tread life, traction, and rolling resistance are somewhat mutually exclusive. Maximizing one requires reducing one or two other characteristics. Just taking the Michelin line for example, the Premier has the best wet traction and good tread life. The Defender has the best tread life and good traction. The Pilot has the best wet & dry traction and greatly reduced tread life. Tirerack.com's Tire Decision Guide is a great place to get started. Of course, it only has the brands they sell.

Vredestein is an old Dutch brand that now has Indian owners--Apollo Tyre. It isn't widely distributed, but that may change. It would be great if you buy them and give us reports every 20,000 miles. The Quatro Pro is one of the new class of all-weather tires that are certified snow tires with the 3-peak-mountian-snowflake symbol. These are good in snow but not as good on ice as real snow tires. consumerreports.org has a good review of them.

I got 50K miles on my 2018 CX-9 and replaced them with Pirelli Scorpions, which were a HUGE improvement in terms of road noise, handling and comfort.

I am at 50500 miles on my OEM Falken Ziex. I have been reading up about replacement tires for Gen2 CX-9. First thing come to mind if mostly everyone is replacing the tires at around 40k miles. Am I the only one who has far over utilized mine at 50500 miles? I have been told about 3 months ago that I could probably get around 2-3k miles more. I live in NJ. Granted, the car isn't driving much due to my WFH during the current pandemic, but irrespective of that should I bite the bullet and change these now, or wait till the next winter season is upon us and change it then?

Another thing, I have read may posts about Bridgestones, Michelins and Continentals. So far I learned that Bridgestone Ecopia isn't one of the best one (even tirerack doesn't have good ratings). So, I am considering Bridgestone Dueler Alanza Plus, or Michelin Premier LTX or Defender LTX, and lastly Vredestein Quatrac Pro - in that order.

To my surprise no one is talking about Vredestein! Has any one got Vredenstein and your thoughts on it?
The Quatrac Pros are incredible. Put them on my new to me 2019 Signature when I bought it October '20 and they were phenomenal during our unexpected super snowy NJ winter this year. Also like them very much on dry and wet pavement. FWIW, I'm a huge tire guy and cannot say enough great things about them. Hope that helps.

Tim G. In Central NJ

Got Cooper Tire's CS5 Ultra Touring set as a replacement for the OEM Falken Ziex. Price was right and so far, so good.

The Quatrac Pros are incredible. Put them on my new to me 2019 Signature when I bought it October '20 and they were phenomenal during our unexpected super snowy NJ winter this year. Also like them very much on dry and wet pavement. FWIW, I'm a huge tire guy and cannot say enough great things about them. Hope that helps.

Tim G. In Central NJ
Oh how nice of you to have gotten those. Coincidentally, I am also in Central NJ and sounds like it will be a replacement worth considering. And the fact that you are a huge tire guy, I feel your inputs are valuable.
Btw, where did you get it from if you don't mind sharing?

Amar

Ordered Michelin Premier LTX from Costco. They have sale starting today. About a week to ten days for it to arrive.

Can’t wait to have them installed! Will post the first impression review soon!

My 2019 Touring came with 265/65/18 Yoko Geolanders G056B. Really quiet, relatively grippy in dry, but subpar in heavy rain. By 29k miles the tread was down to 3/32. The options for this exact size are slim. Michellin Pilots were tempting but the low treadlife/high cost was a dealbreaker. Went with Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Seasons and am very pleased. 600 treadlife rating, a hair louder than the Geolanders, and feels great on dry SoCal highways and roads. Reviews are good on wet handling so I assume I’ll be fine.

Oh how nice of you to have gotten those. Coincidentally, I am also in Central NJ and sounds like it will be a replacement worth considering. And the fact that you are a huge tire guy, I feel your inputs are valuable.
Btw, where did you get it from if you don't mind sharing?

Amar
Hey Amar-
My apologies for not having responded back until now. For some reason, I didn't see a notification that anyone responded to my comment :)

To answer your question, I made the dealer include the tires as part of the sale. Reason being, although it was only 1 model year old at the time (I bought it in Oct 2020 and it's a 2019 MY), the dealer replaced the tires--and did so with a cheap set of Nankangs which I wasn't alright with. Anyway, the dealer used Tire Rack for their tire sourcing, so that's where my Vredesteins came from.

Hope that helps!

Best,
Tim

Thanks @TimGinNJ for your response. As you probably noticed, I went ahead with a known devil for my next replacement tires. Vredestein will most likely be the one I'd consider for my diff car. Its surprising a lot of tire shops told me they haven't heard of this brand!

Thanks @TimGinNJ for your response. As you probably noticed, I went ahead with a known devil for my next replacement tires. Vredestein will most likely be the one I'd consider for my diff car. Its surprising a lot of tire shops told me they haven't heard of this brand!

Darn. Again....sorry about. For what it's worth, I have a lot of good luck over the years with Michelin (although not that model) and have always felt when in doubt...you usually can't go wrong with them. Ran them on an Outback, an Explorer and several old BMWs...all with good results.

Re: the brand itself, after doing a little Googling, it seems Vredestein has had a very long, successful existence in Europe, and has a number of "firsts" under their belt in the racing world, as well commercial and consumer products. But, like so many other good things in Europe we don't get on this side of the pond, they never really gained a market presence here in the U.S. Not sure about in Canada. I remember the used 1985 Honda Prelude I bought right out of high school that came with a set of Vredesteins, but I knew zilch about tires back then--and didn't care much either. They were decent in all conditions, and got me where I needed to go. All boxed checked! haha

Anyway, best of luck with the new Michelins and please respond back to the group with your initial findings.

Cheers,
Tim

Got the Michelin Premier LTX a week ago. I haven't driven a lot so this may be little premature review. The ride is quieter than the Falken with 53000 miles on them. Tbh, I do not even remember how Falken ride was when it was a new car. I just wonder if the ride gets rougher as the tread wears irrespective of tire brand?

I am yet to drive during rain to evaluate the wet traction. Have a trip from NJ to FL coming up in few weeks, so I feel it'd be a real test.

I can’t believe you got 50.5k out of the Falkens. Mine were junk before 30k. I did the same Michelins and have no complaints at 63k. I’ll need new tires before winter, but I’m ok with it.

I just wonder if the ride gets rougher as the tread wears irrespective of tire brand?

Absolutely--however, some brand tires wear more gracefully than others. Also, as the rubber ages and dries out, it gets increasingly hard and loses some of its pliability which increases noise, affects handling and traction.

Tim

Anyone have any comment on new yokohama or new continental terrain contact tires? Also considering bridgestone dueler alenza plus. Need to replace 2 tires that got punctured with screws on the shoulder tread and non repairable. Instead of wasting money on 2 new ecopias that came factory and are crappy anyway, I'll just replace them all with a real tire.

Anyone have any comment on new yokohama or new continental terrain contact tires? Also considering bridgestone dueler alenza plus. Need to replace 2 tires that got punctured with screws on the shoulder tread and non repairable. Instead of wasting money on 2 new ecopias that came factory and are crappy anyway, I'll just replace them all with a real tire.
I didn't see any of those tires mentioned in this thread, but FWIW there are a number of other recommendations with feedback here. Is there something specific about the 2 you mentioned that are drawing you to them in particular? Just curious.

I can’t believe you got 50.5k out of the Falkens. Mine were junk before 30k. I did the same Michelins and have no complaints at 63k. I’ll need new tires before winter, but I’m ok with it.
Yes as a matter for fact I did and tbh, with technology improving everyday, I wouldn't expect anything less.
However, I was also told I could still continue using those tires for another 2-3k miles. But since I have a road trip coming up in few weeks and Costco running sale, I decided to go for it.

Not sure about Yokohama or Continental, but Bridgestone Dueler Alanza Plus was one of my top two choices. Given the consistent less than satisfactory reviews of Ecopias (on this forum and Tirerack.com), I'd rather replace all four and get new set. And I do not even know why Costco carries Bridgestone Ecopias given they are not the most loved tires and has consistent bad reviews.

Not sure how many miles you have on those tires, but if you replaced only two, you re looking at constantly having mix and match tires for the rest of the time you own the car because you'd now end up replacing only two most worn tires every time-going forward.

Back