2016 6 speed shift boot removal. Shift knob swap

Hey guys so with the help of another member i finally got to swap my shift knob along with eliminate the gap from my new smaller knob. Here is what I did. This shouldnt take more than 10min. No tools needed!!

1. Open the armrest and make sure you remove anything in the cup holders. Your going to start by lifting up on the side of the arm rest until it pops up. it should come up easy.

As you can see they are clipped into place and you wont really break anything

2. Now do the same for the front end Just be carefull since you have the black gloss plastic trim attached. Lift up and the whole piece should come off. I did not disconnect anything, I simply placed the cup holder piece on the passenger.

3. With the front half do the same as before. start by lifting the end closest to you. Once you lift then pull back and the whole front piece will come off.

4. The shift knob. Now my issue was that the aftermarket knob i bought was a round knob not tall like the oem shift knob so i had a gap between the resting place for the boot and where the knob finished. so i used the foam tube that came on my h.i.d's and slid it over the the shift rod so it can hold the boot higher and eliminate the gap.

reassemble:

Sorry for the dirty car. its been a busy week..... enjoy

Hey guys so with the help of another member i finally got to swap my shift knob along with eliminate the gap from my new smaller knob. Here is what I did. This shouldnt take more than 10min. No tools needed!!

1. Open the armrest and make sure you remove anything in the cup holders. Your going to start by lifting up on the side of the arm rest until it pops up. it should come up easy.

As you can see they are clipped into place and you wont really break anything

2. Now do the same for the front end Just be carefull since you have the black gloss plastic trim attached. Lift up and the whole piece should come off. I did not disconnect anything, I simply placed the cup holder piece on the passenger.

3. With the front half do the same as before. start by lifting the end closest to you. Once you lift then pull back and the whole front piece will come off.

4. The shift knob. Now my issue was that the aftermarket knob i bought was a round knob not tall like the oem shift knob so i had a gap between the resting place for the boot and where the knob finished. so i used the foam tube that came on my h.i.d's and slid it over the the shift rod so it can hold the boot higher and eliminate the gap.

reassemble:

Sorry for the dirty car. its been a busy week..... enjoy

I also have the 2.0 manual but its a 2015 model. how do you like the 2.0 with the manual transmission?

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I've been trying to pull from the silver trim and area around the dust boot, but I gave up for fear of breaking a clip! Now I can lube the shift mechanism after almost 30K. Thank you again!

I will be sorry to see the 2.0 with manual leave. Although my car does not feel fast, with the 6 speed the engine always feels willing. I like it because of the great gas mileage.
Your car heater controls looks like an upgrade from the 2013 sport. Wonder if I can swap mine out.

Hey guys, sorry for the late reply. The 2.0 6mt feels ok i bought it because it was cheapest and 6 peed. As far as power....crazy underpowered which sucks specially coming from a bmw but hey gas mileage is awesome cant complain. specially when filling up is cheaper than filling up my other beemers. i love the car but i do wish it was atleast factory turbo or just had some more torque.

Back