2016.5 CX5 windshield cracked, needing opinions on repair/replacement...

:
2016.5 CX-5 GT AWD
...Before I submit to insurance.

Driving last night under a highway overpass, I heard a snap/crack, and immediately noticed a crack in the passenger side of the windshield. I cannot tell if it's from impact or a stress crack, but the crack goes from the edge of the windshield all the way through, about 20 inches in total length. There seems to be what *appears* to be a small impact/chip about an inch from the edge, but it's so small that I can't tell for sure if it indeed is an impact. Pictures are attached.

tempImageHh8xf4.jpg
tempImageNmyLFj.jpg

Two questions:

1. Is there any chance that this can be repaired by a professional? Again, when measured, the total length of the crack is about 20 inches in length
  2. In the event the windshield needs to be replaced, should I request an OEM part under my insurance? I vaguely remember reading some issues a few years back with non-OEM/aftermarket windshields and how they handle the sensors of the Grand Touring model (Radar CC, Smart City Brakes, etc).
Thank you all for any help you can provide.

... Two questions: ...
1) No repair on that. IIRC, repairs are for pretty small areas and not in line-of-sight. Gonna need a new one.

2) I think I would want an oem glass if it was available / affordable. I have had both good and bad experiences with aftermarket glass so it could go either way.

Good luck to you. Hopefully you have a low deductible on comprehensive :)

If the car was only 3 years old I'd want a new OEM windshield.

If it was a like over 7 years old, I'd just get junkyard OEM glass.

You have a choice at this point, claim on insurance and spend the $$ for new or get one from the junkyard and have someone install it for cheap, especially if you have high deductible. Would also keep the claim off our insurance.

Talk to your insurance agent first before you claim it. He/she should advise whether better to make a claim or not. Sometimes increase premiums are not worth claiming.

My best advice and recommendation Shop for price and warranty.

Or if you have patients and some time.....
You could also ask if there are different quality glass offered by both the dealer and independent shops. in your area? There is a big difference in quality, thickness and hardness even though in US they are approved DOT windshields.
What I look for if the wave distortion alone bends in the glass. The better-quality windshields mean a higher degree of manufacturing tolerance checking. Also there are distinctly different glass hardness. This is where it become difficult because both harder and softer glass has advantages and disadvantages depending on where you drive.
And if any windshield supplier claims that none of what I posted is accurate I suggest find a glass service company that is at least knowledgeable with his trade. ;)

I have replaced 3 windshields in my personal MAZDA. The first 2 were oem MAZDA, now I have an aftermarket. I should have stayed with MAZDA. The aftermarket was a good quality very low distortion but was harder glass then OEM. The harder seems to not like driving on the coast when sand it is blowing around in the wind. :(

OK, so just having had both front AND rear glass replaced on our '19 by Safelite (major hail storm while down in FL), I can an give the benefit of our experience. The front glass was replaced and calibrated just fine. Aftermarket, not Mazda, but I certainly cannot tell the difference.

The rear (non-Mazda) glass, however, is complete crap! There are waves and ripples all over it - it's like looking through a fun-house mirror. Safelite guarantees their service, so we had them out SIX times so far, with replacements (yes 6 times!). In every case I've looked at the new glass they brought, and each one had ripples/waves in different places. I say again SIX times! Now they've promised to get Mazda glass, but we've been waiting 2 months for them to get it (and counting).

So, in summary, front glass OK, rear glass NOT.

You have a choice at this point, claim on insurance and spend the $$ for new or get one from the junkyard and have someone install it for cheap, especially if you have high deductible.
IIRC, glass has zero deductible - at least with state farm. Also, they told me as long as glass claims were not too frequent (like every year or 2) it would not affect my rates - YMMV

IIRC, glass has zero deductible - at least with state farm. Also, they told me as long as glass claims were not too frequent (like every year or 2) it would not affect my rates - YMMV
That's good to know that some insurers do that. Think it depends on insurer. My insurer , who is very good with our non windshield related auto insurance claims only covers windshield crack repair for free. Complete windshields are covered under comprehensive after claimant pays deductible. So I think it depends on whether the insurance company waives the deductible.
OP probably should check with his insurer to see if insurer will kindly waive the deductible.

Last edited:
If you have the Heads Up Display (projection onto the windshield) you will need a special kind of windshield. That’s what I was told.

Yes they are able to recalibrate the sensors.

I’ve used safelite in the past and always recommend them.

I’ve only used Safelite once to replace the back of my older Honda Accord and it was not a very positive experience. I must have had a short or something in the rear defrosters because one morning while driving my kid to school with the rear defroster on, the whole back window cracked. It didn’t shatter but all the glass was in shards. I called Safelite and they sent a technician out. He replaced the glass but I noticed there was a big gap between the bottom of the glass and the top of the trunk. When I asked about it, he said that’s the way it is. He kind of shuffled through the remnants of my old back window and said that there’s nothing missing. There really was nothing I could argue about since I didn’t have any before pictures. I drove the car for a few days and the glass shattered again. To the company’s credit, they sent someone out to replace it again. It was a different tech the second time and he said it was probably the defroster, so he didn’t hook it back up. I didn’t watch him while he worked and when he was done, lo and behold, there was a gasket taking up the space between the glass and the trunk. It was my fault for not inspecting the car closely enough but a couple of weeks later, I noticed that he had scratched the hell out of the paint on the c-pillars. I take reasonably good care of my cars so I know for sure that damage was not there before.

If you do use Safelite, I suggest bringing the car into their shop. Maybe using the mobile service was not the best choice.

Just like some Mazda dealers won't install hitches, some won't install windshields either. Probably has to do with taking on extra liability.

Am not familiar with safelite..but if you do use safelite or any other 3rd party installer, you may want to order the OEM windshield from Mazda yourself then have Safelite , etc install for you. That way you know you have OEM glass that has the sandwiched polymers that work with the heads-up display.

Otherwise you may end up with whatever cheapest generic they could get their hands on that day.

If you have the money, install a new windshield. If you do not, try to find a shop that will do a stop on the crack, preventing it from going further. Been there, done that. Not the best idea but better than nothing.

..before I submit to insurance.

Driving last night under a highway overpass, I heard a snap/crack, and immediately noticed a crack in the passenger side of the windshield. I cannot tell if it's from impact or a stress crack, but the crack goes from the edge of the windshield all the way through, about 20 inches in total length. There seems to be what *appears* to be a small impact/chip about an inch from the edge, but it's so small that I can't tell for sure if it indeed is an impact. Pictures are attached.View attachment 311294View attachment 311295

Two questions:

1. Is there any chance that this can be repaired by a professional? Again, when measured, the total length of the crack is about 20 inches in length
  2. In the event the windshield needs to be replaced, should I request an OEM part under my insurance? I vaguely remember reading some issues a few years back with non-OEM/aftermarket windshields and how they handle the sensors of the Grand Touring model (Radar CC, Smart City Brakes, etc).
Thank you all for any help you can provide.
This same thing happen too me lol, I have a 2016 GT, try your insurance. My insurance state farm fixed it for free, they had hidden windshield free insurance I was not aware until I called them. It's common issues on the 2016s research it.

The few times I had a windshield replaced with insurance the installer waived the part I would have had to pay them. I imagine if your deductible is low enough it won't matter. They probably cover the cost with a higher fee to the insurance company.

Back