2016.5 CX-5 transmission delay from reverse to drive when cold

:
2016.5 CX5 Touring
My CX5 has started to act a bit odd. When it is cold, as in cold start, when I back out of the driveway onto the road and then put it in drive, there is a 2 second delay before you start to move from the time you give it throttle. Then it usually ends up jerking as your throttle is high by the time it moves. Sometimes the delay is a bit less in length but you feel it sort of not go anywhere fast then jerk and get its act together.

What does this sound like? It does not seem to do it when warm. It seems to shift fine when warm in all gears.

Does this sound like something that the CPO warranty would cover? We have 68,800 miles on the thing now.

My 2016.5 does the exact same thing and has since the day we owned it. Pretty sure it is completely normal.

Not sure why it happens, might be that the torque converter needs an extra second when it is cold out to unlock and switch gears.

My 2013 has done that since new. I think it’s the hill assist. The transmission is likely good to go when you shift it to Drive but I think the car applies and holds the brakes for a couple seconds. That lunge forward I believe is the brakes letting go.

I have a 16.5 with 38K miles on it and have had this happened twice I believe. Not normal at all. The car should not lurch forward in normal operation. If it is happening every time - I would see if you can reproduce it at the dealer. There have been issues with TX switches but this seems different. Note that CX5 Transmission will behave a bit weird at parking lot speeds but should never lurch or jump forward from R to D.

The jerk comes from when you get out of reverse, are at a complete stop, engage drive and then add throttle. There is a delay from when you give throttle in drive until it starts to really feel like it is moving. Once it starts to drive you feel a slight jerk as you are on the throttle a good bit more by the time the transmission seems to fully grip. If it was a manual I would think it was a clutch issue.

Correction: after re-reading my post it sounds like my 2016.5 does it all the time - it does not. It is a rare occasion and maybe happened 3 times since I owned it. And those three occasions were very similar to OP.

Sorry for the confusion!

If you are able to consistently replicate the lurch bring it to a Mazda dealer. If it is still under CPO warranty by all means have them take a look to make sure it isn't a larger problem.

My CX5 has started to act a bit odd. When it is cold, as in cold start, when I back out of the driveway onto the road and then put it in drive, there is a 2 second delay before you start to move from the time you give it throttle. Then it usually ends up jerking as your throttle is high by the time it moves. Sometimes the delay is a bit less in length but you feel it sort of not go anywhere fast then jerk and get its act together.

What does this sound like? It does not seem to do it when warm. It seems to shift fine when warm in all gears.

Does this sound like something that the CPO warranty would cover? We have 68,800 miles on the thing now.
Yes, Kaps said it correctly. It’s not normal. Sometimes low ATF level, which happens too many times from factory, would cause the similar symptom. And many major failures on transmission started with those delays. Do take your CX-5 to your Mazda dealer to check it out under CPO warranty. At least you’d make a record in case something happens later. At 68.8K miles, ask your Mazda dealer if they do ATF drain-and-fill, or you can always DIY.

Mine does that only when backing from an incline, occasionally on level ground. Get it checked if you’d like but Im pretty sure the behavior you describe jives with other threads from years ago *shrug*

Mine does that only when backing from an incline, occasionally on level ground. Get it checked if you’d like but Im pretty sure the behavior you describe jives with other threads from years ago *shrug*
IMO, the key is “behavior change”. If OP’s CX-5 doesn’t have the delay before, but now he feels it, something is wrong.

IMO, the key is “behavior change”. If OP’s CX-5 doesn’t have the delay before, but now he feels it, something is wrong.
Good point, I didn’t really think about that. I can tell with mine that it’s definitely the brakes being applied lol!

For what it's worth, my '14 did the exact same thing, starting out very rarely somewhere around 40-50K miles, then getting increasingly worse until it did it almost every time I drove the car when it was cold(<60F-ish) out. Didn't seem to do it during the summer.

After changing the transmission fluid a few months ago(~90K miles), I haven't felt the car do it once.

Thanks for sharing. Must have been low fluid (for the lifetime believers) or worn/dirty fluid.

Thanks for sharing. Must have been low fluid (for the lifetime believers) or worn/dirty fluid.
Since CX-5 owners who have bothered to check factory ATF level when they do their first ATF drain-and-fill, they all found low ATF level from factory. I believe borderline or low ATF level would be the most likely culprit to cause those delays. This’s also the cheapest way to check and (may be) fix the problem with an ATF drain-and-fill, making sure the transmission has fresher and proper amount of ATF.

I recently noticed our 16.5 doing this. Only when it’s cold out on a cold start.

It’s my wife’s car and I don’t typically drive it, so it’s possible it’s always done this.

45k on it. I plan on changing the fluid this summer. I’ll check the level before draining.

I recently noticed our 16.5 doing this. Only when it’s cold out on a cold start.

It’s my wife’s car and I don’t typically drive it, so it’s possible it’s always done this.

45k on it. I plan on changing the fluid this summer. I’ll check the level before draining.
I’d suggest before you do anything to the transmission, bringing the CX-5 to your Mazda dealer for this problem to make a record. So that in case if the transmission starts to develop any major problem in the future, you can have a base to get free replacement even if the powertrain warranty have run out. The problem could be simply just because the ATF low-fill from factory, which you can verify it when you do drain-and-fill in summer.

I’d suggest before you do anything to the transmission, bringing the CX-5 to your Mazda dealer for this problem to make a record. So that in case if the transmission starts to develop any major problem in the future, you can have a base to get free replacement even if the powertrain warranty have run out. The problem could be simply just because the ATF low-fill from factory, which you can verify it when you do drain-and-fill in summer.

True. But who’s to say this is a problem? My wife hasn’t said anything about a behavior change. I’d have to leave it with them over night and I’m not sure it’s worth it.

Local dealer is such a joke.

Brought my 19 there for the second gear shift flair and said multiple times it needs to well below operating temp/cold start to replicate. They called me within a couple hours of dropping it off saying they couldn’t replicate. My guess is they let it sit for an hour and then drove it, which was not enough time to fully cool down. They then lied to my face about checking the fluid level. But to your point, it’s at least documented now.

Dealership I bought both cx5s from(over 2 hours away)has a 100k transmission warranty with new vehicle purchases. I’m sure it has caveats but it’s some piece of mind.

Most of the dealer warranty require that you do all your maintenance work with them, on time, on schedule with receipts. They make enough off the maintenance to pay for the warranty claims...

Most of the dealer warranty require that you do all your maintenance work with them, on time, on schedule with receipts. They make enough off the maintenance to pay for the warranty claims...
Yeah but if the transmission were to fail within the 100k it wouldn’t be from lack of maintenance. There is no scheduled maintenance for this transmission.

I don’t disagree otherwise.

Last edited:
Back