2016-2019 CX-9 Front Bumper Crack TSB #09-022-20-3720

All 2016-2019 CX-9 owners should be aware the front bumper likely will crack due to a design defect. Mazda is well aware and issued TSB #09-022-20-3720. Hope yours cracks while still under warranty. If not, Mazda may "assist" you, but they will not pay the full cost of the repair.

I noticed mine while washing at 38,000 miles, just out of warranty. I took it to the dealer, whom said they'd had a few cases and they had to submit a case to Mazda and not to worry. To my surprise, Mazda came back and wanted me to pay about $350 or 22% of the repair cost. I politely appealed to Mazda Customer Service, arguing the bumper is not a wear item and as a common problem caused by a design defect and not me, they should cover the whole cost. After two weeks, I got a short reply stating the warranty department reviewed and approved some assistance and the offer was final. I called and was told the same thing, there was nothing else that could be done. Once the warranty department made a decision, it was final.

Needless to say, I'm shocked and extremely disappointed. I've owned three Mazdas, including an RX-8 which Mazda did go out of their way to cover and remedy their design defects. Given that experience and especially the company's intention of moving up market, I expected a much different outcome. The CX-9 is their signature and most expensive vehicle, failures like this should be unacceptable. I've never had any manufacturer respond in this manner and the atrocious customer service won't help them retain customers.

All 2016-2019 CX-9 owners should be aware the front bumper likely will crack due to a design defect. Mazda is well aware and issued TSB #09-022-20-3720. Hope yours cracks while still under warranty. If not, Mazda may "assist" you, but they will not pay the full cost of the repair.

I noticed mine while washing at 38,000 miles, just out of warranty. I took it to the dealer, whom said they'd had a few cases and they had to submit a case to Mazda and not to worry. To my surprise, Mazda came back and wanted me to pay about $350 or 22% of the repair cost. I politely appealed to Mazda Customer Service, arguing the bumper is not a wear item and as a common problem caused by a design defect and not me, they should cover the whole cost. After two weeks, I got a short reply stating the warranty department reviewed and approved some assistance and the offer was final. I called and was told the same thing, there was nothing else that could be done. Once the warranty department made a decision, it was final.

Needless to say, I'm shocked and extremely disappointed. I've owned three Mazdas, including an RX-8 which Mazda did go out of their way to cover and remedy their design defects. Given that experience and especially the company's intention of moving up market, I expected a much different outcome. The CX-9 is their signature and most expensive vehicle, failures like this should be unacceptable. I've never had any manufacturer respond in this manner and the atrocious customer service won't help them retain customers.
Unfortunately, TSB is YMMV when you are out of warranty. At this point, maybe use the power of social media to "persuade" Mazda to audit their decision. Jalopnik gets a good amount of views and traffic.

Sorry to hear about your experience, but it is YMMV as SW mentioned. I would suggest filing a complaint with the BBB. If it were me, I might also try to escalate the issue on the phone, as Mazda's customer service reps have managers/supervisors as well.

I fully understand out of warranty. I've never had a body panel crack on any vehicle though, not really an expected failure point. Given the issue is a design defect where "bumper fascia may receive higher than expected forces", my guess it's only a matter of time before all/many of the front bumpers crack in this manner. They produced three years worth of candidates.

I started the thread to alert other owners of the probable impending failure and how Mazda would remedy it. YMMV is obviously disappointing, and thank you for the suggestions, I'll consider them.

Yep, I went through this ordeal with my 2017 Signature CPO covered car. My bumper cracked around 39-40k miles... first on one side and later a saw a small crack on the other side.
Initially, my dealer and Mazda corporate, both refused to cover the bumper. It was beyond frustrating and disappointing. Multiple attempts with the dealer, finally paid off, and they replaced the bumper and I had to pay $150 out of my pocket. Not sure where the $150 went, but I am still happy.

20210503_130658_HDR.jpg
20210503_130652_HDR.jpg

What reasons are they giving you for not covering it? What steps have you taken (showed them the TSB, Contacted Mazda corporate, etc)?

There are no commitments from Mazda to extend warranty on these yet, but contacting Mazda corporate can get you a goodwill deal like the members got above. If that doesn’t work, you can try posting on social media, or the papers, that seems to get car manufacturers attention sometimes. Lastly, you can check consumer protection laws in your area. I know where I live there are laws that goods are supposed to last for their expected lifetime, (ex vehicle body panels are expected to last more than 3 years...etc), but that depends on where you live.

Just saw this on my vehicle as well...Really a bad design flaw. Anyone in the tri-state area (NY, NJ, CT) or the DMV area (DC, MD, VA) have experience with dealers with this issue?

I have a 2020 and I just noticed the cracking on both sides, so they didn’t fix it ahead of the 2020 release. Of course I have 45k miles, so warranty won’t cover it

Attachments

• 6811ED45-BDCA-4AE1-B03E-197DF35FB68C.jpeg
    6811ED45-BDCA-4AE1-B03E-197DF35FB68C.jpeg
    114.4 KB · Views: 180
  • A4A725BA-2B74-4F31-A243-C98D33814726.jpeg
    A4A725BA-2B74-4F31-A243-C98D33814726.jpeg
    87.9 KB · Views: 182
Reviving this thread. My 2021 CX9 GT bumper just did this. Did they not fix the issue? I don't know if it's Mazda's fault or my dealer. I had the car in for hood replacement due to ice and they have had to paint it 2x now to get the color right. When I picked it up the other day I noticed the bumper is now cracked or splitting in this same exact spot as the TSB. Trying to work with dealer on repair since it occurred while at their place for paint but wondering if it's not entirely their fault and just a coincidence with faulty Mazda parts still. I have Mazda extended warranty. Have 39K miles on my 2021. Pretty bad if this is till a current problem. :(

Back