2015 CX9 FWD - slippery

Hi guys,
Ive had my 2015 CX9 FWD for a year or two and love it. I chose the FWD because I don't obviously go off road and its been fine but when the road is wet I've found I have to drive a lot slower than previous cars. Ive just replaced the tyres and that made it better but its still frightening. I certainly don't drive fast but occasionally the wheel slip lights come on.

Just wondering if its an extra slippery car in the wet or its driver error - lol.

cheers
Nat

I do not have experience with cx5 but will say The tire compound plays a large role in how well they work. Many tires are designed with long life and fuel efficiency in mind so although the have lots of tread depth that doesn't really help when starting off, especially when turning at the same time.

You may also want to try setting tire pressure at the lower end of recommended values. Saving fuel with high pressure is great until you get into an accident due to the stupidity of trying to save a buck or two.

Vehicles with say a V6 engine in comparison also have more weight on the front of the car which helps put the power down without wheel spin as well I'm a fwd application (think older cx9, rav4, edge, journey, grand caravan etc)

If you are thinking something is different than before there could also be a chance the alignment is off. Can't imagine it would cause much issue without you noticing it in tire wear etc. But how evenly worn was your old set?

I'm with Jeff on tires. Tread rubber compound, tread pattern, tread depth, and inflation pressure all play a role.

Does that car have traction control that can be switched? Is it switched off? You want it on.

Great suggestions from @jeffmsp and @PTguy.

@NAT, what new tires did you get?

Also, I would say that it isn't necessarily "driver error", maybe more like "driver unfamiliarity".

No "slippery" feeling here. I would suspect driver or tires. Make sure your tires are at the proper pressure, not over inflated.

Back