2014 headlight replacement

Hi all - my daughter hit the garage entrance and broke the right headlight and I decided to take on the challenge of replacing the headlight. I ordered an aftermarket replacement from ebay and received the headlight today. Comparing to the original one it looks a bit different (see photos attached). Can anyone give me guidance on the wiring harness swap. I see there are differences on the clips. I wonder if I need to order a different set of wiring for the aftermarket headlight or is the part I ordered not a match and I should return it. Much appreciate help on this one.

PS: You will see the atermarket part on the right side of Photo 1. Photo 2 shows an electric box on the original headlight, yet there is no place to screw this on the aftermarket part (Photo 3). Photo 4 shows a clip on the oriignal headlight that is rectangular shaped, yet the Socket on the aftermarket part is triangular (Photo 5).

Attachments

• IMG_9501.JPG
    IMG_9501.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 205
  • IMG_9502.JPG
    IMG_9502.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 193
  • IMG_9503.JPG
    IMG_9503.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 200
  • IMG_9504.JPG
    IMG_9504.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 218
  • IMG_9505.JPG
    IMG_9505.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 209
  • IMG_9506.JPG
    IMG_9506.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 182
  • IMG_9507.JPG
    IMG_9507.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 211
can you take a picture of the actual front of the headlight showing the lens? I'm thinking based on what you posted, your daughter's car is a GT trim with the HIDs (since there is clearly a ballast) and the one you bought is probably not an HID replacement but just a halogen one. It's more expensive, and even more so since you probably can't return the one from Ebay, but you should go OEM on this. The OEM HID lights include auto leveling and also steer into turns so it's better to get the real thing as I'm not sure of any aftermarket lights featuring this.

Thanks for your reply, and yes, you are right. After posting this thread, I read about these online and I am pretty sure what I have is an HID on my Grand Touring. I will try to return what I got and go OEM. Do they not have any aftermarket HIDs out there? The cost of OEM is really high. Attached is the photo of the broken headlight assembly.

Attachments

• IMG_9508.JPG
    IMG_9508.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 196
  • IMG_9509.JPG
    IMG_9509.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 197
Yep, that's 100% HID. You can see how the projector has a gap between it and the surrounding silver trim. On the non-HID you can see how there isn't a gap and the silver surround is much thicker:

I'm not aware of any aftermarket HID housings, however you can look for used housings on Ebay, but they might have broken tabs or other issues. You can find some discount places online like Quirkparts but you'll still be looking at $750-850.

Thanks for your reply, and yes, you are right. After posting this thread, I read about these online and I am pretty sure what I have is an HID on my Grand Touring. I will try to return what I got and go OEM. Do they not have any aftermarket HIDs out there? The cost of OEM is really high. Attached is the photo of the broken headlight assembly.
The reason why you can’t find aftermarket HID headlight is mainly because the cost issue. For your 2014 CX-5 GT with Tech Package it came with HID headlights with AFS (Adaptive Front-lighting System) which has motors turning the headlight projector left and right as well as up and down. That’s why it’s expensive in addition to more expensive xenon bulb and HID ballast.

Depending on your annal state safety inspection, you may consider to leave the cracked headlight as is. Or you can try to find a used one from LKQ or car-part.com but you want to make sure getting the correct HID version headlight with ballast attached. I wouldn’t get a new one unless money is no object to me.

Another alternative is to just swap the clear lens part. Not sure about Mazda's but many other manufacturer's use a thermo glue for the lens that you can free up with judicious use of a heat gun, or putting it in your kitchen oven at about 210degF for 10 mins - though I wouldn't recommend the latter with the original headlight, since it has all the stuff in it.

The reason why you can’t find aftermarket HID headlight is mainly because the cost issue. For your 2014 CX-5 GT with Tech Package it came with HID headlights with AFS (Adaptive Front-lighting System) which has motors turning the headlight projector left and right as well as up and down. That’s why it’s expensive in addition to more expensive xenon bulb and HID ballast.

Depending on your annal state safety inspection, you may consider to leave the cracked headlight as is. Or you can try to find a used one from LKQ or car-part.com but you want to make sure getting the correct HID version headlight with ballast attached. I wouldn’t get a new one unless money is no object to me.
It is not just a crack, a section has fallen off making it exposed to weather.

I agree with yrei52: Buy a used replacement. Try car-parts dot com. It looks like there are several available from salvage yards in the $300-500 range without the bulbs or ballast. This assumes you are comfortable swapping your parts over to the salvage yard housing.

Just confirm xenon or HID and adaptive in the description. You can always call and ask they send a picture so you can be reasonably sure you'll be happy with what you get.

For fun looked up the new part - Passenger Side Composite Headlamp - Mazda (KR22-51-031C) – from online parts source like medcenter mazda $589. Again this is without lights and electronics – but all of that should be good from your current light.

Last edited:
Back