2013 Anti-perforation limited warranty supplement

Caspan

:
2013 Mazda CX-5
So I opened my mail box yesterday to find an envelop from Mazda Canada. In it was a letter from the president of Mazda Canada telling me that Mazda is extending the Anti-perforation warranty from 60 months (5 years) to 96 month (8 years) at first I was like "this is awesome a 8 year warranty that the body will not get rust holes, then I thought again about it. Maybe Mazda did this because they are worried that there is an issue. Why send this out 6 months after production? I also got a little mad because I spent $800 on the electronic rust inhibitor because when I bought the car there was only 5 years which was standard. So I felt like if I had known at the time there was an 8 year warranty on it that I would have not bought the electronic device. I called the dealership and they had no clue what I was talking about but said they would look into it. Just wondering if anyone else got this letter and new addition to the warranty.

I have attached the new warranty

View attachment DOC001.pdf

Interested to know what everyone else thinks about this?

Did you purchase the extended warranty? I didn't and haven't received anything like this (yet)

I'll take 8 years, by then I'll be finished paying for it! Seriously though, if Mazda thinks there might be problems down the road it's great that they are "stepping up"; I think it is good that the coverage is increasing to give us peace of mind, if nothing else. The electronic protection will probably give you more assurance to slow rust formation before it gets critical than a warranty that only kicks in after the rust has caused massive damage.

That is good to hear.

They wouldn't extend a warranty if they knew there was a rust problem. They would correct the issue in production or design and have the dealers fix the rusty ones. Mazda has been mentioning how they are listening to their customers; I think this is another one of those cases. The first year Mazda 3, 5, and 6 haven't been good for rust issues. They may want to alleviate the fear of getting a rusty Mazda. Get that thought out of peoples minds when thinking about Mazda.

I actually got an answer out of my dealership and they said that Mazda is competing with other car manufactures. They are offering 8 year warranties so Mazda said "well so can we" So when I asked about it he told me that I would have to have my car in once a year at a cost to me to have them inspect it. For people in places where salt is used that you wash it every month etc.. so it is good that I got the electronic rust inhibitor as he said he believes this helps with this warranty as I have to have it in once a year to make sure it is functioning at no cost. SO looks like Mazda is just being competitive.

Just right there whit you ES-GT and Caspan, i think Mazda is doing good marketing and playing the game.
I received the warranty supplement yesterday, by the way.

So I went in to the stealership for the annual vehicle body inspection so as to ensure that the 96 month anti perforation limited warranty stays intact on the cx 5 and was advised that I will need to pay them $30.08 for the inspection. Reason being that I declined the annual maintenance of the car where they inspect the brakes, caliper pins etc.

So in a nutshell Mazda will charge me $240 plus tax over a period of 8 years so that my warranty for rust protection stays intact.

This is why I went with the electronic inhibitor it requires and annual inspection bit its free and can be done during an oil change and you get the same warranty.

I know but it is Mazda who extended the warranty from 5 years to 8 years at a small charge to the customer. Mazda why don't you just improve the quality of the sheet metal etc so we don't have to deal with rust buckets. I checked with the dealership that if I had an electric rust protection module installed (at the time of buying the car from them) then would this still be required and their answer was a simple "yes". Rust protection modules are not sold by Mazda but by the dealerships. So if I want to keep the 96 month warranty intact then I need to make the dealership happy with my hard earned money.

Back