2011 CX-9 Fuel pump pickup hose?

I recently changed the fuel pump on my 2011 FWD 3.7 and when I took out the pump there was no fuel pickup hose connected at the bottom fitting. I did not see anything in the fuel tank but the baffle makes it difficult to see much.

I had seen a pickup hose on previous cars so was surprised when I slowly lifted it out that nothing was connected. Does this model have a pickup hose? It does not appear on any part diagrams I have found online.

By the way the fuel pump fixed all my engines sluggishness, slow starts, and occasional stuttering at 40-50 highway speed. I had previous done injectors, plugs, and coils.

Follow up. I found a shop manual and the fuel pump installation diagram only indicates a fuel pickup hose for the AWD model. The 2WD diagram does not indicate a pickup hose.

So if you own a 2WD version I guess it is assumed we will take it slow in the turns.

The FWD and AWD cars have different fuel tanks. I suspect the all wheel drive fuel tank has a hump in the bottom of the tank to accommodate the drive shaft while the front wheel drive tank has a flat bottom. In Subarus, for example, the tanks are shaped like a "saddle" with low spots on the sides and a high section over the driveshaft in the middle.

The fuel pickup hose might be to get to the low spot in the AWD tank, or it's a siphon that pulls fuel from one side of the tank to the other.

Back