2010 MS3 exhaust on 2010 3S hatch?

nate0123

rawr!
:
2023 Mazda CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus, 2019 Hyundai Veloster N
I seem to recall that first gen 3's could run a stock MS3 exhaust. Has anyone tried it on a '10?

Well, you can use the muffler section with no modification. The speed muffler is a lighter and louder. I had a non-speed 2010 and then got the 2010 speed, so I messed with both of them. I even have the stock speed muffler setup if you're interested (it is just sitting in the shop collecting dust).

As for the rest of the exhaust, due to the downpipe, the speed mid-pipe is shorter than the non-speed midpipe. I have that piece as well, and a jig from my non-speed exhaust, so I was considering modifying my speed exhaust to fit a non-speed.

Does that make sense?

All the exhaust hangers and such are the same, so the only issue is the shorter mid-pipe, but that is easy enough to fix.

Good to know. I think if I did it I'd just bolt on the muffler section and be done with it. Anyone have pics / sound clips? I'm interested to see how well it fits the bumper cutouts and what it sounds like.

Good to know. I think if I did it I'd just bolt on the muffler section and be done with it. Anyone have pics / sound clips? I'm interested to see how well it fits the bumper cutouts and what it sounds like.

Quick youtube search give this nice video. This guy is pretty active on the other MS forum. Havent seen him around here yet. Are you here?!?!:)

It is pretty accurate ccapture of the sound of MS3 at startup. It is a bit louder when the car is cold, but it is not intrusive at all when you drive. Very nice stock exhaust.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYPA5oAaRgA

Only thing is, it'll be louder on an NA 3 since we don't have the turbo to muffle the exhaust.

DISI engines tend to be louder at startup as well. . .especially all the turbo ones, the MS3, Ecotecs, etc. . .I'm not sure why, but they all are.

Without a turbo it will be louder, but you also have some nice "baffles" in the mid-pipe. If you went with a straight mid-pipe - no cat or baffles, it would be loud, trust me. I tried that. Not fart-can loud, but getting close and droning on the highway.

Im just looking for a wrecked mazdaspeed protege or 3 and just yank the muffler off and custom pipe it to my '10 sedan.

But if the MS3 exhaust fits, i'd take the entire thing. Even the old Mazdaspeed Axle Back exhaust i used to have on my 01 ES Protege would sound nice on the 3..... but again, you can never find them anymore.

Went ahead and gave it a shot...

3ms3exh.jpg

How does it sound with a MS3 muffler? Considering doing this to mine. Did you cut the resonator out?

I did not cut the resonator; just bolted up the axle-back section. I took a video a while back. It's a little on the loud side but not bad. Definitely a good option considering it's OEM quality, OEM looks, and you can get them cheap used.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqqx475L9F8

Seems a little difficult finding a used one, now that everyone wants one and especially if you don't know anyone out here. I'm looking though. I don't mind loudness, my accord that I traded for my 3 had a header, test pipe , cat back resonator delete, and the muffler was basically a straight through. That b**** was loud, but I didn't mind.

Last edited:
I was lucky enough to find one on Craigslist. You could also put up a WTB in the marketplace here.

I feel that by putting up a WTB is almost like begging for getting raped on price. I'm not in a big rush to do anything, I've got the car and isn't going anywhere unless I'm in in it so I can wait patiently.

IIRC he was asking $200 and I ended up getting it for $120

is there any performance gains to this or is this mostly just for sound?

also is $150 good price for the ms3 muffler?

I actually picked mine up locally for $100 in excellent condition.
I guess it just depends on where you're buying from and the shipping costs.

Back