2008 CX-9 Creak…What is it?

I have a creak sound that has become apparent and after a week I still haven’t confirmed it’s origin.

Here’s what is observed: a unmistakable creak after a 20-30 minute drive and is only heard at low speed less than 10 mph roughly. At startup and first 5-10 miles of rural driving /stop and go, and bumps at slow speed it is quiet. Rolling along at idle speed in a parking lot and gently accelerating will produce the creak momentarily ( engine torque). I believe under constant load at drive speed it may not be creaking and for sure it can’t be heard.

Suspension history:
Currently it has 164k, I’ve put 2k on it in the last 2 months. The LCAs were replaced under recall at 118k and at 161K PO had a very reputable frame and alignment shop do an alignment and suspension check which presumes the suspension is in reasonably good shape. (Qualifier - I took my truck in for an alignment at the same place and they checked suspension and wouldn't continue until I replaced the worn out parts - speaks to their mode of operation). I’m pretty sure the suspension is in good condition and personally I can’t get any movement in joints with wheels off the ground.

Suspects:
This leads me to think it may be a motor mount, like the right motor mount near where the creak is heard. And it seams to be heat related shows up after 20minutes of driving) of which the motor mounts would see a change in temperature after 20 minute drive.

Any thoughts on potential
suspects?

Is their a way to lube the right motor mount in case a subtle flex of the rubber is causing this internally? Looks like I could dump soapy water on it and it may deep down around the rubber inside?

One other suspect is the top mount of the right front strut, but it doesn’t seem accessible for inspection without complete removal. Is there any way to rule this out?

Sway bar end joint?

thx for any thoughts on this in advance!

I did read the sway bar end could produce a creak.

Interesting, our 2013 CX-9 GT with about 95K on the odometer. It is also making this same kind of noise. Sounds like door that needs oiled, an old barn door or an old rocking chair. Its at low speeds and in parking lots. I have not confirmed if this happens only when steering wheel is turning, but I believe it does not matter.

This is my wife's car. She seems to think it is coming from the drivers side. I cannot tell where its coming from. I had the vehicle up in the air for an oil change and saw nothing questionable. Almost feels like its the whole body creaking on the frame, which I know is not the case!

I have been searching the internets for a solution - Google/YouTube etc. - I did find some post on askmazdas saying it could be the upper strut bearing mount.

Swaybars always clunk if anything, this creak is definitely steering related. I have never had a lower control arm make any noises in our hondas and such.

Earlier it made a groaning/moaning noise - This was a sticky front passenger side caliper.

Tomorrow I may try and spray lower LCA or something with WD40 and see if it goes away temporarily - trying to isolate the area from which this noise is coming.

Oh, looks like per Mazda site, it has had both recalls done - one was lower control arm apparently. Unsure when it was done though!

@Oldschool1 - If you found anything, could you please share? I will do the same!

Back