2007 Mazda CX-7 Trunk Lock will not open

beltline

:
2007 Mazda CX-7
So I purchased a 2007 CX-7 for my daughter. The trunk is locked and will not unlock. I've tried the following:

• Made sure I double pushed the unlock on the remote - and I can hear it unlocking but it's still locked
  • Of course I've tried the handle on the trunk but it just pulls up freely and the trunk stays locked
  • I removed the inside circle cap on trunk and tried to manually push the trunk mechanism. Although it will turn a good inch clockwise it still does nothing
  • Tried to push the latch bar inside the trunk down and although it will move down about an inch - it still will not unlock

So it appears the lock has disengaged from the locking mechanism. There is no emergency handle inside the circle hole that you can move to unlock. Does anyone have any ideas of what else I can check? I don't see any trunk unlock button inside the vehicle (checked glove box, center console, door, etc. Don't think that would help anyways since it appears the lock has disconnected from the locking mechanism. I tried to push the lock to the right with a screwdriver but there is very little room and it doesn't really budge based on the design. So before I go and start cutting away the trunk panel - any ideas on how to get it to open? To be honest I really wouldn't care except there is no way to change the rear lights if they ever went out without opening the trunk.

Back