2003 Protege5 Overheated Radiator Replacement Idling Rough & Bubbling Reservoir

thraex

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
My 2003 Protege5 overheated and radiator cracked while on a long trip and I didn't notice until it was in the red, now I'm wondering if I have a blown head gasket or worse. I replaced the cracked radiator, rad cap, upper and lower hoses and thermostat, replaced coolant and followed shop manual instructions for idling with radiator cap on for 10 minutes, 2500 rpm for 5 minutes and 3000 rpm for 5 seconds, it started overheating at 4 minutes at 2500 rpm so I turned it off and coolant reservoir was near empty, waited til cool, jacked the front end up w/ heater on hot refilled coolant with engine idling/rad cap off, saw smoke/vapor/exhaust coming from rad cap opening almost immediately, let it idle for 10 minutes/until no bubbling/smoke was coming out and then replaced cap, ran for 2500 rpm for 5 minutes and 3000 rpm for 5 seconds a couple of times, didnt overheat this time, temperature stayed level and engine sounded roughly normal. Removed jack and decided to try taking it for a ride, it started very roughly, opened the hood, the coolant reservoir was bubbling fast and was well over the full line but not overflowing, engine was stuttering and visibly shaking, turned car off. Next steps? Should I try purging it again? Should I just go ahead and get it compression tested and pressure tested? Should I change oil first? Could an air bubble be causing the engine issues? I just replaced all the spark plugs and coils. I would appreciate any help, thanks!

Borrow a combustion leak/block tester from a parts store before going any further. They are on the loan a tool program, and it will confirm or rule out a head gasket.

Borrow a combustion leak/block tester from a parts store before going any further. They are on the loan a tool program, and it will confirm or rule out a head gasket.

I borrowed a block tester but was not able to test, engine will not start, just sputters and coolant shoots out of the radiator cap neck. Pressure test confirms there's a leak. I'm guessing I have a bad head gasket or worse, do you think I should just take it to a professional to inspect head gasket and block?

If you have to ask the question, the answer would be yes.

Before doing that though...

If you turn the switch to "on" can you read the OBDII codes? (I never tried that before, always just started the car, but it seems reasonable that the computer would be alive enough to spit out trouble codes once it has power.)

When the car overheated it could have damaged any number of other components. When my daughter fried mine (now hers) one of the fuel injectors died shortly thereafter. The valve cover gasket and, if memory serves, the seal between the engine and the belt pulley also failed. The battery might have cooked enough that the car cannot run now because the voltage is wrong.

Latest posts

Back