2002 Protege 5/Familia sport 20

Does anyone know where I can purchase roof molding for a 2002 Mazda familia sport 20 or if a US model 2002 Mazda Protege 5 roof molding would fit the Japanese model?

I think you might be screwed if your trying to buy new moldings, I've looked and havnt found them anywhere. You might be able to find them used but most end up breaking when they get removed because they are so brittle. I dont think the roof area got any changes between the US and Japanese models so it should fit unless I'm an idiot

Just an FYI.
I believe the Canadian version is different.
Apparently the roof rack was strictly an option when it was new and Mazda had a contract with Thule to supply them.
The connections for it are built into the roof and all Canadian P5's had them.

I'm pretty sure the filler strips fit all models of P5 and I think they're still available.

Im starting to believe that...I've been searching for weeks with no success on the following sites:

I've either gotten it's listed on our site but not available, or simply no response as to if its in stock.

I think you might be screwed if your trying to buy new moldings, I've looked and havnt found them anywhere. You might be able to find them used but most end up breaking when they get removed because they are so brittle. I dont think the roof area got any changes between the US and Japanese models so it should fit unless I'm an idiot

Any idea where I can find the filler strips?

Just an FYI.
I believe the Canadian version is different.
Apparently the roof rack was strictly an option when it was new and Mazda had a contract with Thule to supply them.
The connections for it are built into the roof and all Canadian P5's had them.

I'm pretty sure the filler strips fit all models of P5 and I think they're still available.

I've been checking Amazon, eBay and OEM parts suppliers but nothing yet.

I did find these but they are meant to be installed on top of your original moldings (like tape) so if you've got no moldings at all they won't work but if you've just got old ones that look bad this may work for you.

I actually have no moldings at all.
I still currently have the metal pieces from the OEM roof racks still installed, however the plastic parts became brittle and broke apart.

I did find these but they are meant to be installed on top of your original moldings (like tape) so if you've got no moldings at all they won't work but if you've just got old ones that look bad this may work for you.

I actually have no moldings at all.
I still currently have the metal pieces from the OEM roof racks still installed, however the plastic parts became brittle and broke apart.
That was the case on my black car when I bought it, but the one I was replacing had no cracks in the roof moldings or rack, so I swapped them around. From what I can tell, they get brittle easily

I've just gotten mine and installed them the other day.
I ordered mine from JP Parts via https://www.facebook.com/jppartsintl/
He even shipped them with all the hardware. Try and get in contact with him and I'm sure he'll find a set for you.

X0kzMBU.jpg

I just scored a plastic rack filler cap piece new from an online dealership. They even had to send a replacement due to shipping damage making it unusable. IIRC they still had the filler strips available/listed......I have strips to eliminate rack but not sure if I have all the hardware for them but not letting go of them either. Try scoping out oemmazdaonline.com which is Corey Fairbanks Mazda in Longwood, FL......................here is link to the filler strip (molding) & cover/clips......

https://www.oemmazdaonline.com/v-2002-mazda-protege5--base--2-0l-l4-gas/body--exterior-trim-roof

Says available and this is where I got rack strip filler cap from........ordering me 2 of the clips I think I'm missing to swap in filler strip if removing rack mounts completely.

Last edited:
I will check with them, the last site i checked also had it (filler strips) up on there site but no longer had it in stock, which was quite disappointing. I find that the caps and clips are easy to source, the strips are a problem.

I just scored a plastic rack filler cap piece new from an online dealership. They even had to send a replacement due to shipping damage making it unusable. IIRC they still had the filler strips available/listed......I have strips to eliminate rack but not sure if I have all the hardware for them but not letting go of them either. Try scoping out oemmazdaonline.com which is Corey Fairbanks Mazda in Longwood, FL......................here is link to the filler strip (molding) & cover/clips......

https://www.oemmazdaonline.com/v-2002-mazda-protege5--base--2-0l-l4-gas/body--exterior-trim-roof

Says available and this is where I got rack strip filler cap from........ordering me 2 of the clips I think I'm missing to swap in filler strip if removing rack mounts completely.

That sucks, wish sites would just show discontinued or nothing at all. Hate when they show a green price bubble like it's in stock. Guess I just lucked out on the rail cap actually being something they had.

Back