2001 Protege 1.6L Misfire Question

bowiefan

:
mazda protege
My 2001 Protege with a 1.6L engine had developed a bad misfire when it's humid or rainy until it warms up, and also when I am backing up in reverse it misfires and stalls even after its warmed up. When it warms up, it runs fine at any speed going forward all day and it idles fine at when it comes to a stop. Put it in reverse, starts missing and wants to stall. Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing the issue? Thanks

I would check the large rubber intake air hose for cracks/leaks. Remove it and inspect it all over. look for a fine crack along that accordian stretch of hose somewhere that's hard to see until you roll it around and flex it.

Solution to your problem

I purchased my 2.0L 03 Protege over a year ago with 199k on it. I noticed Everytime it warmed up, it would hesitate or misfire when accelerating. Especially in reverse. I finally got a check engine light for a cylinder 2 misfire. Ive read a common problem with Mazdas are the ignition coils. Mine had 2, $26 a piece at autozone. Took 15 mins to install and it stopped hesitating and sputtering Immediately.

Yup.mine did the same.what i did was pull out all the coills and plug wires and put back.it went a away but sometimes it does but unnoticable.try replacing the ignition coils and also try cleaning the iac valve.good luck

Back