2000 Mazda Protege ES dashboard light problems?

Mazda2039ce

:
2000 Mazda Protege ES
Hello all,

I'm having a problem where the dashboard lights are on when I start the car, but when I turn on the headlights the dash lights stop working.
I have checked the dash dimmer switch, but it doesn't seem to work. I haven't checked any of the fuses but they seem to be in working order.

Also of note is there is an aftermarket radio installed. I heard that bad wiring can mess up some lights, but I'm not sure if the wiring is the problem is the dash lights only stop working after I turn the headlights on.

Thanks for any help

Get a voltmeter or a test light and see if any power goes to the dimmer switch. You could try bypassing the dimmer switch and connecting the wires directly if you're comfortable doing that kind of work. If the dash stays lit even after you turn on your headlights, then you dimmer switch need to be replaced.

And if there is no power going to the dimmer switch, a fuse may be blown.

Check your relay, same thing happened to my hyundai. Lights were going crazy, turned out to be the headlight relay.

Thanks all for the replies, looks like the dimmer switch or the relay might be bad. I messed up and bought some cheap fuses and when I tried to check one of them, the plastic cover for the fuse pulled off.

Long story short I almost set my car on fire and melted part of the under dash fuse box, and I'll have to replace it. All the other fuses looked fine though.

I might have to take this to a mechanic, might be a chance to build a good relationship with a mechanic.

Anyways thanks all. I'll report back if things get better.

Back