2.5T Engine Coolant Leaking TSB

Would not put in a new engine with those miles on the trans and rest of the vehicle. Best find a used, tested junkyard engine with much lower miles to drop in. Or you can get a rebuilt one with warranty and drop in. Plenty out there. Total job cost should be less than half of what dealer wants.

Reactions: Cml
Wow that doesn’t sound good 😢
How bad is the oil leak problem?

Please refer to (and post in) the existing thread below for more information about the oil consumption issue. A link to a related TSB was posted on page 7. It appears that only 2021 models are included on the TSB, but this is subject to change. Further, I don't know if all vehicles within this range will experience the issue. I would suggest following the issue and keeping an eye on your oil level by checking it once or twice a month. Be consistent with the process you follow to check the oil. If you notice that you may be experiencing the oil consumption issue, talk to the dealer about your concerns and go from there.

Whelp, I have a 2016 CX9 with 134000 miles. I left the dealership on 5-13-22 after they replaced a wheel bearing for $500, and 15 minutes later my engine coolant temp warning came on (never seen before). Called dealer, they told me to come back. Well, a different dealer was much closer so I went there. Told I have a cracked cylinder and my ONLY option is $8k to replace engine. Not feeling it. I've been trying to send Mazda North America an email via their website, but am unable to (I get a response of "Sorry, unable to send email" or similar). And the "chat" is busy. As is the phone.

I guess I'm just sharing my disappointment with this situation, after owning my previous vehicle for 13 years and 250k+ miles with no issue, just replacing a wheel bearing. As it's a known issue, I unreasonably expected service to check this when it's in (I JUST LEFT the dealer!). Just feels like a bad experience all around and not feeling Mazda right now.

Whelp, I have a 2016 CX9 with 134000 miles. I left the dealership on 5-13-22 after they replaced a wheel bearing for $500, and 15 minutes later my engine coolant temp warning came on (never seen before). Called dealer, they told me to come back. Well, a different dealer was much closer so I went there. Told I have a cracked cylinder and my ONLY option is $8k to replace engine. Not feeling it. I've been trying to send Mazda North America an email via their website, but am unable to (I get a response of "Sorry, unable to send email" or similar). And the "chat" is busy. As is the phone.

I guess I'm just sharing my disappointment with this situation, after owning my previous vehicle for 13 years and 250k+ miles with no issue, just replacing a wheel bearing. As it's a known issue, I unreasonably expected service to check this when it's in (I JUST LEFT the dealer!). Just feels like a bad experience all around and not feeling Mazda right now.

Check out what Mazda did for this person:

https://mazdas247.com/forum/t/2-5t-coolant-leak-engine-replacement.123875515/post-6756039

So is the recommendation to take it in for service even if there are no symptoms or do we have to wait for a failure first to get the TSB addressed?

So is the recommendation to take it in for service even if there are no symptoms or do we have to wait for a failure first to get the TSB addressed?

A TSB is a notification that comes from the manufacturer. It's basically an internal memo that says "hey, we had a few reports of issue X happening, here is how you should be handling it/here is the procedure to resolve the issue". If you show a TSB to the dealer for an issue, but you don't have any of the symptoms, they will just tell you to keep an eye on it. A TSB also does not guarantee that the repair/resolution will be free.

A recall, on the other hand, is a different story. Recalls are issued to vehicle owners to inform them of potential (usually safety-related) issues, and include instructions to visit your dealer to have the recall completed for free.

In your case, there is nothing to service since you don't have any of the symptoms.

If you are experiencing this issue please report to NHTSA.

If you are experiencing this issue please report to NHTSA.

Yes, more reports to the NHTSA will increase the chance to trigger a safety recall which will protect those 2.5T owners without the powertrain warranty.

I had a 2017 CX-9.
At 33,000 miles on a hot summers day, I smelled antifreeze. Could not find any leaks but smell was prevalent.
Brought it in to the dealer, after 3 days of removing components and taking pictures that Mazda Corporate ordered, a replacement engine was sent. I couldn't believe that the engine had to be replaced.
Traded the car in for a 2021 CX9.

I had a 2017 CX-9.
At 33,000 miles on a hot summers day, I smelled antifreeze. Could not find any leaks but smell was prevalent.
Brought it in to the dealer, after 3 days of removing components and taking pictures that Mazda Corporate ordered, a replacement engine was sent. I couldn't believe that the engine had to be replaced.
Traded the car in for a 2021 CX9.
Which Mazda dealership?

Btw you have huge guts (what promoted you to get another lol).

Which Mazda dealership?

Btw you have huge guts (what promoted you to get another lol).
Tampa Bay Mazda dealer.
After engine was replaced and adding an additional 30m miles, was at the time the used car market was going crazy...as it still is. Normally I never trade in my cars, but we're not living in normal times. The deal I made for a new 2021 Signature that was in stock, could not be beat.
I took advantage of market conditions. More important was how the dealer treated me, and the service I received, and to this day still receiving.

Tampa Bay Mazda dealer.
After engine was replaced and adding an additional 30m miles, was at the time the used car market was going crazy...as it still is. Normally I never trade in my cars, but we're not living in normal times. The deal I made for a new 2021 Signature that was in stock, could not be beat.
I took advantage of market conditions. More important was how the dealer treated me, and the service I received, and to this day still receiving.

Great service can be so hard to find!

When (what year) did you get the engine replaced on your 2017? I think when these issues first started popping up, they were replacing whole engines. Maybe now that they have more information, they can replace certain components instead of the entire engine.

When (what year) did you get the engine replaced on your 2017? I think when these issues first started popping up, they were replacing whole engines. Maybe now that they have more information, they can replace certain components instead of the entire engine.
Replaced in 2020

A TSB is a notification that comes from the manufacturer. It's basically an internal memo that says "hey, we had a few reports of issue X happening, here is how you should be handling it/here is the procedure to resolve the issue". If you show a TSB to the dealer for an issue, but you don't have any of the symptoms, they will just tell you to keep an eye on it. A TSB also does not guarantee that the repair/resolution will be free.

A recall, on the other hand, is a different story. Recalls are issued to vehicle owners to inform them of potential (usually safety-related) issues, and include instructions to visit your dealer to have the recall completed for free.

In your case, there is nothing to service since you don't have any of the symptoms.
Thanks sm1ke!

New info? Are they just replacing components now or is it still a new engine, Looking to just get rid of my 2016.. im pretty upset about this whole situation

Back