2.5T Engine Coolant Leaking TSB

My 2016 (orig post had typo stating 2019) CX-9 has all the issues relating to this TSB. But today Mazda dealership told me I'm out of warranty at 66K miles. SOL. I mentioned to them that through research I've seen some burned out CX-9s and that I'm not starting the thing until something gives, but I think unless we get a real recall we might really be SOL.

Last edited:
My 2019 CX-9 has all the issues relating to this TSB. But today Mazda dealership told me I'm out of warranty at 66K miles. SOL. I mentioned to them that through research I've seen some burned out CX-9s and that I'm not starting the thing until something gives, but I think unless we get a real recall we might really be SOL.
Although your 2019 CX-9 with 66K miles is out of warranty, you still can contact Customer Experience Center, Mazda North American Operations trying to seek some help with the problem. Unfortunately the current wait time is long which may take 3 or more months to get the cylinder head replaced under warranty, not sure how much MNAO can do to help you at this point.

And please cast your vote about cracked cylinder head / coolant leak in this thread:

Poll 2.5T Coolant Leak/Engine Replacement

Last edited:
Although your 2019 CX-9 with 66K miles is out of warranty, you still can contact Customer Experience Center, Mazda North American Operations trying to seek some help with the problem. Unfortunately the current wait time is long which may take 3 or more months to get the cylinder head replaced under warranty, not sure how much MNAO can do to help you at this point.

And please cast your vote about cracked cylinder head / coolant leak in this thread:

Poll 2.5T Coolant Leak/Engine Replacement
I don't see an option in the poll... yes have coolant/oil leaking... but no replacement.

I don't see an option in the poll... yes have coolant/oil leaking... but no replacement.
That poll was started before the cylinder head replacement became an option instead of a full engine replacement. I can't change the poll question or options, but say "Yes" because it still results in major work being done.

Also, talk directly to Mazda Corporate and their warranty service and not the local dealer. Don't take no for an answer.

Yes, at the time the poll was set up, who would have thought MNAO would get overwhelmed by the cracked cylinder head problem and require few months to get engine fixed or replaced.

I’d suggest you to cast Yes at this time indicating your 2.5T suffered cracked cylinder head problem.

My 2019 CX-9 has all the issues relating to this TSB. But today Mazda dealership told me I'm out of warranty at 66K miles. SOL. I mentioned to them that through research I've seen some burned out CX-9s and that I'm not starting the thing until something gives, but I think unless we get a real recall we might really be SOL.
I am very sorry to hear this. Do you know when it was first manufactured? Was it MY2019 but produced in 2018 vs 2019 production? What's the warranty period in your area? In New Zealand - they provide 5 year warranty with unlimited mileage.

I am very sorry to hear this. Do you know when it was first manufactured? Was it MY2019 but produced in 2018 vs 2019 production? What's the warranty period in your area? In New Zealand - they provide 5 year warranty with unlimited mileage.
In US we get 3-year / 36,000-miles new car bumper-to-bumper warranty, and 5-year / 60,000-mile powertrain warranty. JSuch’s 2019 CX-9 has 66K miles so his CX-9 is out of powertrain warranty.

However, Mazda offers unlimited mileage warranty in Canada for both 3-year new car bumper-to-bumper warranty and 5-year powertrain warranty.

In US we get 3-year / 36,000-miles new car bumper-to-bumper warranty, and 5-year / 60,000-mile powertrain warranty. JSuch’s 2019 CX-9 has 66K miles so his CX-9 is out of powertrain warranty.

However, Mazda offers unlimited mileage warranty in Canada for both 3-year new car bumper-to-bumper warranty and 5-year powertrain warranty.
I'm sorry my CX-9 is a 2016 (I had a typo in the post, let's see if I can fix it)

Sorry it was a type it is actually 2016 CX-9

Yes to be clear - we have the same warranty coverage as Canada.

Jsuch - thanks for the clarification. 2016 with the mileage if accumulated overtime and with time of manufacturing seems to most prone to this issue.

My 2016 CX-9 made it to just over 250,000 miles. Wednesday evening the red light for temperature came on. Same stories everybody else. Cracked cylinder head... need a new engine. Have loved the vehicle. Don't know that I can be too disappointed at 250,000 miles. I guess this engine is not one of those that goes forever. Service manager said he'd never seen a car with that many miles in such a good shape.

My 2016 CX-9 made it to just over 250,000 miles. Wednesday evening the red light for temperature came on. Same stories everybody else. Cracked cylinder head... need a new engine. Have loved the vehicle. Don't know that I can be too disappointed at 250,000 miles. I guess this engine is not one of those that goes forever. Service manager said he'd never seen a car with that many miles in such a good shape.
Yes 250,000 miles on a gen-2 CX-9 is very rare! At first I thought you accidentally added an extra “0” on the mileage ⋯ :whistle:

Since you drove 250,000 miles in about 6 years, 41,667 miles per year (5.5 times of oil change per year!), you must be driving the CX-9 mostly on the highway. This could prolong your 2.5T’s engine life than others as the road condition on the highway is better with much less “bumps” per mile.

“Residual stress generated during production in the cylinder head material may be greater than expected. The external force from the exhaust system when driving over bumps may cause unexpected force to certain areas of the cylinder head.

With the shortage of revised cylinder head and rebuilt engine (with revised head) right now, I guess your solution is limited.

Wow, 250k mi (402k km) is amazing in my opinion. Did you have any other major issues in that 250k, besides regular maintenance? Transmission is still good? How is the interior holding up, specifically the high wear areas like the seat bottom bolsters and the seat back bolsters?

What's your plan for this car now? Are you going to replace the engine? Might be able to find a cheap one from a junkyard CX-9..

Yeah the bumpy road in the safety bulletin made me laugh lol. I drove over bumpy roads all the time. But it's true most of those miles were highway miles. Mike to answer your question other than regular maintenance I did have the front bushings replaced early on in the ownership. They would squeak when I would go over bumps.

Interior looks fantastic except for the regular wear and sun damage on the steering wheel. Other than that it looks brand new. That's a great thought about trying to find an engine from a wrecked CX-9! If I can't I think I'll just retire it.

Dealership quoted $7,500 total that includes parts and labor. Not sure I want to invest that much money in a car with 250,000 miles;)

Transmission still in excellent shape. I have followed regularly scheduled maintenance. I can't remember if they've changed the transfer and differential gear oil once or twice? I would have to go back and look. Good idea on trying to find the engine. Local dealer said it'd take about a month to get a new one.

⋯ Dealership quoted $7,500 total that includes parts and labor. Not sure I want to invest that much money in a car with 250,000 miles;)
So your Mazda claimed they can get a new engine or the revised cylinder head from Mazda right now?

If I were you, I’d find a cheap used engine (LKQ?), then sell it or trade it in as the rest of CX-9 is still in good shape.

Have you ever changed ATF or front transfer case and rear differential gear oil for 250,000 miles?

Sorry they claim they could get a new engine. They tried to look for the cylinder head but could not find one.

Back