Poll 2.5T Coolant Leak/Engine Replacement

Who is having coolant leak issues and have had their engines replaced?

• Yes

Votes: 46 39.0%
  • No

Votes: 72 61.0%

• Total voters
Just crossed over 55k on my 2017, so probably close to where I'd see issues. Coolant level is 1/2" below "low". Hoping it's normal consumption, but I'll top off and assess closely.

Cracked heads are not unusual for first gen programs running higher compression/ PCPs. I wish there were more specific details on the nature of the failure beyond "casting defects" which IMO is a cop out. Based on the warping comments, my money would be on coolant starvation as the primary failure mode.

Just crossed over 55k on my 2017, so probably close to where I'd see issues. Coolant level is 1/2" below "low". Hoping it's normal consumption, but I'll top off and assess closely.

Cracked heads are not unusual for first gen programs running higher compression/ PCPs. I wish there were more specific details on the nature of the failure beyond "casting defects" which IMO is a cop out. Based on the warping comments, my money would be on coolant starvation as the primary failure mode.

That's something I'm curious about, normal consumption. I'm not sure if the manual mentions this anywhere, but what amount of consumption would be considered normal?

That's something I'm curious about, normal consumption. I'm not sure if the manual mentions this anywhere, but what amount of consumption would be considered normal?
There just doesn't seem to be a good definition of the coolant consumption spec, unlike what you see with oil. However, given my mileage and proximity to powertrain warranty running out, I decided to make an appointment with the dealer later this week. Though I've been doing my own maintenance for a while, I figured I'd at least get the coolant level issue documented and top up for the nominal fee they charge. With my spate of (bad) luck this month, I would not in the least be surprised if they called it.

The service intervall calls for coolant inspection and top up as required. So who knows what normal consumption would be. Unless you do the maintenance yourself, they could be topping it up everytime without us knowing about it.

Last edited:
So a small update :
A week ago dealer called that my cx-9 is finally done and has a new engine. It only took them 2.5 months 😎
I took it home, and next day I noticed a smell of coolant and few drops of oil on the driveway.
I thought it’s a residual oil dripping or something.
following day I found a puddle of oil under the car.
took it back to the dealer this Thursday where they verified that the engine is leaking oil AND coolant. 🤬. and it doesn’t look good.
they said they won’t be able to actually look at it closer till Monday. I have a feeling another engine swap is in my future.

... they verified that the engine is leaking oil AND coolant. ...
Did the vehicle seem to be running ok on the way home? Can't think of anything except a fairly massive head gasket issue to explain oil and coolant leaking externally at the same time.

You are certainly having a brutal experience, and I'll tip my hat to you for retaining your composure and not running around with your hair on fire over this. Not very many folks would be able to write this report as calmly as you did (y)

Did the vehicle seem to be running ok on the way home? Can't think of anything except a fairly massive head gasket issue to explain oil and coolant leaking externally at the same time.
Could be many things other than a head gasket. My concern would be a poorly assembled engine.

Could be many things other than a head gasket. My concern would be a poorly assembled engine.
I was assuming they ran it with the bottom cover off and would have seen leaks caused by loose fittings, before giving it back to the owner. But who knows - maybe that was too much to assume, so yes I suppose other mistakes might be possible.

You are certainly having a brutal experience, and I'll tip my hat to you for retaining your composure and not running around with your hair on fire over this. Not very many folks would be able to write this report as calmly as you did (y)
Yes, car ran like new. I really enjoyed having it back.

I'm driving a loaner, so I can't really complain. Yelling at service guy won't really help with anything. It's frustrating, but it is what it is.

Yes, car ran like new. I really enjoyed having it back.

I'm driving a loaner, so I can't really complain. Yelling at service guy won't really help with anything. It's frustrating, but it is what it is.
Sorry to hear this. I got mine back after 3 and a 1/2 months and it was done perfectly. I guess its an issue with the new engine or the level of competency of the technician. Hope you get it back soon. I am still amazed at how great a vehicle the CX9 is......if you are more into style, performance, ride, build quality and even luxury. I wish it had come with a normally aspirated v6 like the Acura mdx which i seriously considered trading my cx9 on.... but then i read complaints about it being anemic at low rpms and a 10 speed transmission? And lacking a luxury vibe annnnd 53 to 57 grand to purchase...not going to do it......Mazdas torque and power early in the rpms is actually smart even with the dropoff at 5,000 rpm. I love the low end grunt this thing has...hopefully, the engine replacements that are happening with revision have cured the problem. I will find out or possibly buy the straight six cx9 if they make one!

An update:
The new engine is leaking somewhere in the back. They thought it could be a damaged oil pan - they put a new oil pan, but that didn't solve the problem. They're ordering a new engine from Mazda.

An update:
The new engine is leaking somewhere in the back. They thought it could be a damaged oil pan - they put a new oil pan, but that didn't solve the problem. They're ordering a new engine from Mazda.

Oof, that sucks. I really hope this was just a case of a poor install job.

Hopefully the replacement doesn't take as long as the first one.

Hey guys, I started intermittently smelling coolant after driving but I never saw anything on my garage floor. This has been the case on and off for a few weeks. I finally got time and crawled up under and pulled the skid plate. Im attaching what I found. I’m asking for your opinion if I need to take this in or if I’m trying to make a problem of something that isn’t one. I see dried up green on the transfer case and one other place. I don’t see anything wet, but the car has been off for a few hours and so I’m wondering if what I see could be from the environment around me. I live near DC, so it’s humid in the summer and snow/ice chemicals in the winter.

EDIT: I can confirm I do not see this same green on the rear differential, so that makes me think it’s not from my driving environment.

I have a 2018 GT AWD with just over 40k on it, and I’m the only owner.

Attachments

• 4DBF839B-B524-452D-A757-312BFF88CB0C.jpeg
    4DBF839B-B524-452D-A757-312BFF88CB0C.jpeg
    106.1 KB · Views: 190
  • 0141E54F-F159-4EFC-95D9-10C8178EAE99.jpeg
    0141E54F-F159-4EFC-95D9-10C8178EAE99.jpeg
    104.3 KB · Views: 171
  • 4F57F9EA-3F7A-4A2D-96BE-353792C6D52E.jpeg
    4F57F9EA-3F7A-4A2D-96BE-353792C6D52E.jpeg
    98.6 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
I would be bringing it in to a local Mazda dealership. Let them know you've been smelling coolant. They should put it on a lift and investigate further.

Better safe than sorry.

That’s what I figured. I don’t love my local dealer but if they try to run me around, maybe I’ll just trade it and get something else. I’ve had a lot of issues with it in the last year and I’m losing patience.

There's definitely a leak somewhere. Press them with an explanation because a 40k mile engine shouldn't leak anything. If they give you the run around, contact corporate. Good luck.

There's definitely a leak somewhere. Press them with an explanation because a 40k mile engine shouldn't leak anything. If they give you the run around, contact corporate. Good luck.
I’ve been in touch with corporate once before. They weren’t very helpful either at the time. Their solution for my misfiring was to offer me employee pricing to buy a new Mazda.

Back